The Student Room Group

Starting GCSE's instead of resiting iGCSE's for medical schools?

So my iGCSE results weren't below C but there are obviously many people who have A*'s everywhere on their certificates but here are my questions

1) I did some research and found out there is a significant number of medical schools who don't accept GCSE or iGCSE resits or so I heard

2) However, I heard that if students retake any GCSE/iGCSE's before year 11, it will be considered as OK

3) so my school only offers 7 iGCSE's and I didnt get the best grades, instead of resitting them, I thought of doing GCSE's as new syllabus.

4) will it be a problem if I do that while im in year 13?

5) will medical schools also count that as a resit or not accept it?
Original post by bl4ckpanther
So my iGCSE results weren't below C but there are obviously many people who have A*'s everywhere on their certificates but here are my questions

1) I did some research and found out there is a significant number of medical schools who don't accept GCSE or iGCSE resits or so I heard

2) However, I heard that if students retake any GCSE/iGCSE's before year 11, it will be considered as OK

3) so my school only offers 7 iGCSE's and I didnt get the best grades, instead of resitting them, I thought of doing GCSE's as new syllabus.

4) will it be a problem if I do that while im in year 13?

5) will medical schools also count that as a resit or not accept it?

So you plan on doing those GCSEs alongside your A-Levels? That could be very tough - A-Levels are hard enough on their own and going another 8 subjects or so for GCSE at the same time could make it even more difficult.*

You will have to declare both your GCSEs and iGCSEs so Med Schools may well count them as retakes. There are some Med Schools that won't mind retakes at GCSE, however.*
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1

You will have to declare both your GCSEs and iGCSEs so Med Schools may well count them as retakes. There are some Med Schools that won't mind retakes at GCSE, however.*

can you confirm and elaborate this please?
Reply 3
I don't think you have to tell them the grade you got before, just the retaken grade maybe mention you got bs in science maths and English and you have exenuating circumstances or whatever. I'm hoping to apply for med but didn't do as well at gcses as Id hoped, but take a gap year to redo gcses and volunteering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending