The Student Room Group

When it comes to girls I literally don't have a clue what to do?..

I'm 19 and heading off to University soon and I have never even kissed a girl. I know that my appearance isn't holding me back as I know girls find me attractive (Excuse the arrogance, but you needed to know).

I just don't have a clue what to do, not just in terms of kissing girls but getting a relationship etc.

When it comes to girls I consider myself dumb (If that makes sense haha).

What advice can you give me? I'm not afraid to talk to girls at all but I feel maybe my subconscious anxiety might be holding me back as I'm not the type to go out clubbing etc.

How can I meet more girls? I have quite a lot of male friends but maybe only one female friend. That's only because I'm never around girls in the first place.
Reply 1
Hi you sound exactly like me a year ago except i'm a girl! I knew 0 guys as i went to a girls school and I'd never kissed anyone before I went out on a girls holiday to Malta where I got with a local on a night out, i didnt know what to expect with kissing but its fairly easy to get the hang of it and just go with the flow :tongue: So before I went to uni I had kissed guys and that was literally it then I got into a relationship pretty early on with my flatmate (not the best thing to do but it works aha) and we're still dating now :smile:

Don't worry girls will love it if you are inexperienced :smile: I have anxiety and hated the thought of going out but if you like drinking have one or two and it will be much easier to approach people. I was SO nervous but in my flat of 10 I got to know everyone quickly and met so many girls and guys on nights out so you will be fine :smile:
As a girl, I have done things with guys and I am I suppose experienced. Just talk to people, get to know them rather than just jumping into a relationship straight away. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends at university maybe one of those friendships could develop into something more? Take advantage of events at your uni and take the opportunities to meet people as you may just find someone exactly like you or someone that you just 'click' with.

To me, if a guy is inexperienced it doesn't bother me we have all been in that awkward situation where you don't really know what to do! :smile:
Mate, let me tell you something, I've been in two relationships and I still don't have a bloody clue about girls! Sure experience helps, but really it all comes down to others things; willingness to learn and put yourself out there being two of them!

So, for starters, when at uni make sure you go out and have fun. Join societies, make new friends, spend time with them, go the clubs...just anything that puts you in contact with people. If you like alcohol then by all means drink a few during a night out, but don't get too drunk as it's off-putting.

Talk to girls as you would anyone else. They're people too! Just relax, ask them about themselves and see where it leads. Having expectations for an interaction is more than likely going to put pressure on yourself which you don't need.

I'm perhaps not the best guy to be giving out advice since I'm hopeless with the ladies, but hell what I've said is pretty much standard for uni life. :smile:
Original post by ~Fort

Don't worry girls will love it if you are inexperienced :smile:

I'm not sure that this is generally accurate advice... Some girls might, but I doubt many would love to date someone inexperienced. :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by amingo26
As a girl, I have done things with guys and I am I suppose experienced. Just talk to people, get to know them rather than just jumping into a relationship straight away. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends at university maybe one of those friendships could develop into something more? Take advantage of events at your uni and take the opportunities to meet people as you may just find someone exactly like you or someone that you just 'click' with.

To me, if a guy is inexperienced it doesn't bother me we have all been in that awkward situation where you don't really know what to do! :smile:

Problem is if you aren't experienced you will not make a move. Cue eyeballing each other until you drift apart.

OP, do you have a friend circle that you talk to regularly? Get in the frame of mind of speaking to anyone you meet (without being too keen).
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, unfortunately I can't give you any advice on the matter but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one haha
Despite being a girl my situation is pretty similar, the only thing is that I'm probably one year younger than you, but it doesn't make much difference I guess. I do have both female and male friends, but I don't like clubbing, going to the disco and such, and I'm rather shy when I get to know new people, although it changes after a while. But yeah, same, I've never kissed anyone nor been in a relationship, and to be honest, if that were to happen, I wouldn't really know what to do or think, and I believe this is what is holding me back. It's much easier to leave things the way they are, even though it might not be the most appropriate choice.
For example, there's this guy I've seen a couple of times at parties because we have friends in common, and even though I obviously never talked to him, he does seem like an interesting type, kinda different from the average and surely attractive in a way. Having said this, my friend knows him and they hang out sometimes, she told me he's never been in a relationship either because he doesn't think he's ready, and this could eventually go to my advantage; but I really have no idea what to do, how to behave and I'm 100% sure I'd be super awkward.
Sorry about the rant but this was to say, if you get the hang of the situation, do let me know eventually haha! :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mrahim
Problem is if you aren't experienced you will not make a move. Cue eyeballing each other until you drift apart.

OP, do you have a friend circle that you talk to regularly? Get in the frame of mind of speaking to anyone you meet (without being too keen).

A friend circle of guys yes, but no girls? There is one girl I know well who may or may not have feelings for me at the University I'm going to in September. We've stayed in contact so I'll definitely speak to her when I join and see where things go. The worst that can happen is that I might meet some of her friends.
Reply 8
Original post by aurora.di.nicola
Hey, unfortunately I can't give you any advice on the matter but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one haha
Despite being a girl my situation is pretty similar, the only thing is that I'm probably one year younger than you, but it doesn't make much difference I guess. I do have both female and male friends, but I don't like clubbing, going to the disco and such, and I'm rather shy when I get to know new people, although it changes after a while. But yeah, same, I've never kissed anyone nor been in a relationship, and to be honest, if that were to happen, I wouldn't really know what to do or think, and I believe this is what is holding me back. It's much easier to leave things the way they are, even though it might not be the most appropriate choice.
For example, there's this guy I've seen a couple of times at parties because we have friends in common, and even though I obviously never talked to him, he does seem like an interesting type, kinda different from the average and surely attractive in a way. Having said this, my friend knows him and they hang out sometimes, she told me he's never been in a relationship either because he doesn't think he's ready, and this could eventually go to my advantage; but I really have no idea what to do, how to behave and I'm 100% I'd be super awkward.
Sorry about the rant but this was to say, if you get the hang of the situation, do let me know eventually haha! :tongue:

I will do! I've just followed you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I will do! I've just followed you :smile:

OHHH okay it was you! I'll follow you back then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending