The Student Room Group

Nursing or a general Physiology degree.... PLEASE HELP!

After going to uni last year and hating the place I was at, I dropped out of my Human Bio course...

I've been thinking so far into it since and have thought about either going back this september to study physiology and then see what happens after those 3 years (perhaps do post grad Nursing course or a PGCE and become a science teacher, or even get a job in industry, opportunities are varied)

OR wait another year to reapply and study Children's nursing. I did a week's work experience with nurses and whilst I enjoyed it I wasn't 100% sure on whether I want to be a nurse or not, but isn't something I would never ever do. I like this option in that obviously you are almost guaranteed a job after in the NHS, and can take it anywhere in the world, however I'm concerned that if you are unsure about wanting to be a nurse you really shouldn't be, and perhaps I could be better studying Physiology and doing nursing after to keep options open??

Please help me and let me know what you think!! Thank you
Original post by HCLx
After going to uni last year and hating the place I was at, I dropped out of my Human Bio course...

I've been thinking so far into it since and have thought about either going back this september to study physiology and then see what happens after those 3 years (perhaps do post grad Nursing course or a PGCE and become a science teacher, or even get a job in industry, opportunities are varied)

OR wait another year to reapply and study Children's nursing. I did a week's work experience with nurses and whilst I enjoyed it I wasn't 100% sure on whether I want to be a nurse or not, but isn't something I would never ever do. I like this option in that obviously you are almost guaranteed a job after in the NHS, and can take it anywhere in the world, however I'm concerned that if you are unsure about wanting to be a nurse you really shouldn't be, and perhaps I could be better studying Physiology and doing nursing after to keep options open??

Please help me and let me know what you think!! Thank you

From someone who left a nursing course, don't do it until you've gotten some more work experience or feel 100% sure that's what you want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
From someone who left a nursing course, don't do it until you've gotten some more work experience or feel 100% sure that's what you want to do.

Hi Claire, I am a second yr student nurse, can I ask why you left? and if you did another course? As I contemplating what is right for me and just wondering others opinions.
Original post by Mango65
Hi Claire, I am a second yr student nurse, can I ask why you left? and if you did another course? As I contemplating what is right for me and just wondering others opinions.

I left because I realised it wasn't the right career for me whatsoever, I didn't enjoy most of the challenging parts of the role and really struggled with it so felt like I could never have a work life balance if I continued. I work in a pharmacy now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending