The Student Room Group

Uni courses in Clearing revealed for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ageshallnot
I'm an:angelwings:

And a bit economical with the actualité.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
And a bit economical with the actualité.

I am no dissembler, madame! :biggrin:
I am no dissembler, madame! :biggrin:

I bet you're on Mumsnet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I bet you're on Mumsnet...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, nor Dadsnet...
No, nor Dadsnet...

It's more fun trolling MN.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
It's more fun trolling MN.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never even been to Minnesota.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like I need assistance again because this forum is constantly more helpful than UCAS (or maybe I just can't navigate their website brilliantly).

tl;dr Can you declare mitigating circumstances on results day to clearing universities and will they consider it?

Also, this is just something I wanted people's opinions on - do you think the communication you have with your chosen subjects department at a university reflects the uni course there as a whole? Do you think it should matter at all?

So I emailed two different universities some questions since I was advised here to...and it was fine and they replied and some of their info was useful-ish...

A huge part of the reason I emailed these universities is because I have mitigating circumstances. I have documents and medical proof that I could easily send them and it was a huge part of why I was emailing them so in the instance I applied to them through clearing, that me declaring mitigating circumstances wouldn't be a major shock and/or made up on results day to compensate (plus surely it makes it easier for them?) I mentioned this along with some other odd questions to both unis.

So in both the replies they said it was unlikely my course would be available in clearing. Totally fine. I can't do anything about that but one said that I could still try on results day if it came to it...the other sort of just gave me a very short "it probably won't be in clearing soz bye" response. They didn't even answer my other questions.

So the uni that said I could still try results day then totally skipped over the fact I mentioned mitigating circumstances then listed the grades for first year then foudation year courses and, again, didn't answer my other questions.

And someone earlier in this thread said something like "if it comes August and you start proclaiming mitigating circumstances they don't want to hear it" which I totally understand.
I've sent my current firm uni my circumstances and they accepted them as long as I provided medical proof so it isn't an issue there. And hopefully it means they will consider my grades (I think I'll only be one short in my least relevant subject).
But does this apply to clearing universities? Since both unis sort of glanced over that does that mean they'll only care about that on results day? Or does it mean they aren't looking for 'excuses'?

My firm uni were great about the whole thing. Emailed me back pretty quickly and very politely and listed everything I would need. The other two it seems read that I am still preparing for if I am to be in clearing and just decided to cut it very short and bluntly (and that takes you back to the questions I mentioned in bold near the top)

I also kind of feel like "well maybe they're just busy etc. etc." but I feel like they really don't want to give me the time of day since I'm comparing them to my firm...whereas my firm literally finish every email with "feel free to ask if you have any more questions" and it's really warm and great.

That was long and I feel angsty sorry.
Original post by mgill17
I feel like I need assistance again because this forum is constantly more helpful than UCAS (or maybe I just can't navigate their website brilliantly).

tl;dr Can you declare mitigating circumstances on results day to clearing universities and will they consider it?

Also, this is just something I wanted people's opinions on - do you think the communication you have with your chosen subjects department at a university reflects the uni course there as a whole? Do you think it should matter at all?

So I emailed two different universities some questions since I was advised here to...and it was fine and they replied and some of their info was useful-ish...

A huge part of the reason I emailed these universities is because I have mitigating circumstances. I have documents and medical proof that I could easily send them and it was a huge part of why I was emailing them so in the instance I applied to them through clearing, that me declaring mitigating circumstances wouldn't be a major shock and/or made up on results day to compensate (plus surely it makes it easier for them?) I mentioned this along with some other odd questions to both unis.

So in both the replies they said it was unlikely my course would be available in clearing. Totally fine. I can't do anything about that but one said that I could still try on results day if it came to it...the other sort of just gave me a very short "it probably won't be in clearing soz bye" response. They didn't even answer my other questions.

So the uni that said I could still try results day then totally skipped over the fact I mentioned mitigating circumstances then listed the grades for first year then foudation year courses and, again, didn't answer my other questions.

And someone earlier in this thread said something like "if it comes August and you start proclaiming mitigating circumstances they don't want to hear it" which I totally understand.
I've sent my current firm uni my circumstances and they accepted them as long as I provided medical proof so it isn't an issue there. And hopefully it means they will consider my grades (I think I'll only be one short in my least relevant subject).
But does this apply to clearing universities? Since both unis sort of glanced over that does that mean they'll only care about that on results day? Or does it mean they aren't looking for 'excuses'?

My firm uni were great about the whole thing. Emailed me back pretty quickly and very politely and listed everything I would need. The other two it seems read that I am still preparing for if I am to be in clearing and just decided to cut it very short and bluntly (and that takes you back to the questions I mentioned in bold near the top)

I also kind of feel like "well maybe they're just busy etc. etc." but I feel like they really don't want to give me the time of day since I'm comparing them to my firm...whereas my firm literally finish every email with "feel free to ask if you have any more questions" and it's really warm and great.

That was long and I feel angsty sorry.

In Clearing, a university will consider the whole package of your application just as they would if you had applied to them in the first place.

I think if you judge a university by the performance of their admin staff you will be making your choices based on entirely the wrong things, but since both places you have made enquiries to said it was unlikely that the course would be in Clearing, I imagine they would prefer not to waste either your time or theirs in discussing things that aren't going to happen. Remember that universities use current students to staff their Clearing lines, and whoever you initially get on the phone is going to be working from a script and usually without the power to do anything but pass you on to a higher authority.
In Clearing, a university will consider the whole package of your application just as they would if you had applied to them in the first place.

I think if you judge a university by the performance of their admin staff you will be making your choices based on entirely the wrong things, but since both places you have made enquiries to said it was unlikely that the course would be in Clearing, I imagine they would prefer not to waste either your time or theirs in discussing things that aren't going to happen. Remember that universities use current students to staff their Clearing lines, and whoever you initially get on the phone is going to be working from a script and usually without the power to do anything but pass you on to a higher authority.

my only issue is my circumstances info isn't attached to my ucas application. I had to submit it separately to my firm uni.

I wouldn't form my whole opinion on one email...of course that would be stupid and I personally am not doing that...it has left a bit of an impression though I'll admit
Original post by mgill17
my only issue is my circumstances info isn't attached to my ucas application. I had to submit it separately to my firm uni.

I wouldn't form my whole opinion on one email...of course that would be stupid and I personally am not doing that...it has left a bit of an impression though I'll admit

Just mention it to them on the phone when you are talking about your application and they will tell you where to send it.

I'm sure it did leave a bad impression, but it could have happened at any single university at any time, and you are highly unlikely to be taught by anyone who answers the phone to you, so weigh up all the other factors before adding that one to the balance.
Just mention it to them on the phone when you are talking about your application and they will tell you where to send it.

I'm sure it did leave a bad impression, but it could have happened at any single university at any time, and you are highly unlikely to be taught by anyone who answers the phone to you, so weigh up all the other factors before adding that one to the balance.

If it comes to it I will do...hopefully it's still all enough for my firm university anyway. But thanks for the reply!
In the UCAS clearing search tool, whenever I say I'm from Northern Ireland, no Northern Irish courses come up- only English, Scottish and Welsh ones. Then when I change where I live to somewhere else, loads of Northern Irish courses come up. It's frustrating because if I do have to end up going through clearing, I'd like to stay put in NI. Would anyone maybe know why this is? (Sorry if I haven't explained it well enough.)
Original post by Elennox98
In the UCAS clearing search tool, whenever I say I'm from Northern Ireland, no Northern Irish courses come up- only English, Scottish and Welsh ones. Then when I change where I live to somewhere else, loads of Northern Irish courses come up. It's frustrating because if I do have to end up going through clearing, I'd like to stay put in NI. Would anyone maybe know why this is? (Sorry if I haven't explained it well enough.)

I'm guessing it is because non-Northern Irish students from rest of UK pay a higher tuition fee...

Try calling the universities and asking.
(edited 7 years ago)
What does it mean if your uni course is in clearing ? Does this mean if you miss your offer your uni might be a bit more lenient be the course isn't filled.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
What does it mean if your uni course is in clearing ? Does this mean if you miss your offer your uni might be a bit more lenient be the course isn't filled.

It can be due to many things - e.g. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66287548&postcount=29

And, it might, or it might not.

Many people still end up at their firm even if they miss the offer by 1 or 2 grades anyway. Some don't.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4224440&p=66575434#post66575434

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4224440&p=66575434#post66575434
Hi if I want to use adjustment do i have to decline my firm before applying to another course? or am i allow to keep my firm until I got confirmed a new place
Original post by pewdiepig
Hi if I want to use adjustment do i have to decline my firm before applying to another course? or am i allow to keep my firm until I got confirmed a new place

You can hold your original place. That's a key difference compared to Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You can hold your original place. That's a key difference compared to Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please tell me wat its like in adjustment. Do I basically apply for the available clearing courses?

Quick Reply

Latest