The Student Room Group

friends forgot my birthday :(

what do you think I should do? I've been waiting all day for a birthday message but nothing which is really starting to anger me. their birthdays were only a couple of months ago, and despite all the workload i was under, i never forget to send them a birthday message as soon as i woke up. its been a tradition of ours, whether we meet up and celebrate or don't, at least a text or phone call to wish them happy returns was a must. but i get nothing and this is not the first time either that they haven't demanded a big deal for their birthdays but don't bother much with mine.

i know you're probably thinking 'big deal, its just a birthday' well its a big deal to me because this is a landmark year for us, i made an extra big deal for each of them - message, phone call to make them feel better about getting old then dressing up and dragging myself out for a night on the town to celebrate their big day and give them the expensive gifts i saved up and took weeks to find and buy. and what do i get for my day - not even an effing text!

i want to send a bitter message to them but i don't know what to say - any ideas? or is that just a bad idea? this is the second time they've done this to me and i'm beginning to feel as if i'm not as important to them as they are to me... :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Do nothing, you're not entitled to anything from them.

"and despite all the workload i was under, i never forget to send them a birthday message as soon as i woke up."

You really went all out there didn't you... Went above and beyond.

Maybe they just forgot, who cares.

Nobody celebrates my birthday albeit that's because I don't tell anyone my birthday as it's a pointless occasion, but that's besides the point.
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
"and despite all the workload i was under, i never forget to send them a birthday message as soon as i woke up."You really went all out there didn't you... Went above and beyond.

oh hush up you

Nobody celebrates my birthday albeit that's because I don't tell anyone my birthday as it's a pointless occasion, but that's besides the point.

but they know its mine.

seems like something i am going to have to start doing now, less disappointing that way

"and despite all the workload i was under, i never forget to send them a birthday message as soon as i woke up."

Think you guys are being harsh tbh. You expect your friends to at least send a message wishing you a happy birthday, it takes the best of a minute to do so, there's absolutely no excuse not to. I think OP is probably more upset that their friends are being pretty *****y friends. I believe OP is being perfectly reasonable.

OP, people are just unkind sometimes. Perhaps question whether or not they're proper friends when they can't even take the time out to wish you a happy birthday. It's up to you whether or not you say anything, but I personally wouldn't give them the time of day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Changing Skies
Think you guys are being harsh tbh. You expect your friends to at least send a message wishing you a happy birthday, it takes the best of a minute to do so, there's absolutely no excuse not to. I think OP is probably more upset that their friends are being pretty *****y friends. I believe OP is being perfectly reasonable.

OP, people are just unkind sometimes. Perhaps question whether or not they're proper friends when they can't even take the time out to wish you a happy birthday. It's up to you whether or not you say anything, but I personally wouldn't give them the time of day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you changingskies!
I would be pissed off too if my friends didn't say happy birthday. Honestly if they were real friends/ good friends they would have. But the day isn't over yet! If they are regular Facebook users they should at least get a notification for it

Not sure if a bitter message is the right thing. Maybe speaking to them about it in real life is best if you're close
Birthdays are a celebrated all across the world. It's tradition. It's not like OP is the only person in the world who wants this day celebrated. If OP's friends celebrate their own birthdays, there's no reason as to why they shouldn't at least say happy birthday to those who bothered for them :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of friends do you have?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ScienceFantatic
I would be pissed off too if my friends didn't say happy birthday. Honestly if they were real friends/ good friends they would have. But the day isn't over yet! If they are regular Facebook users they should at least get a notification for it

Not sure if a bitter message is the right thing. Maybe speaking to them about it in real life is best if you're close

I don't have facebook anymore ScienceFantatic.

suppose you're right about the message, better to just get off my chest how its making me feel
Original post by Allie4
I don't have facebook anymore ScienceFantatic.

suppose you're right about the message, better to just get off my chest how its making me feel

Haha yeah! It's easy for someone to ignore s message or just reply with " sorry I forgot" and it might be awkward the next time you see each other. But if you solve everything there and then in person you can diffuse a conflict that may arise :smile:.

Yeah but don't listen to the people saying birthdays are meaningless etc. I think the people who say that are the kind that are used to being alone.
Honestly if I were you I'd be really annoyed too, you made the effort and they haven't at all. I'd probably slide in a comment about how it is your birthday but just focus on you now. HAPPY BIRTHDAY THOUGH !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had this last year for my 17th, I'm the youngest out of all my friends by 7 months, I said happy birthday to all of them with a cringey paragraph etc explaining how much I've appreciated their support through my extremely difficult times etc and I got nothing when it was my birthday.

I couldn't exactly beg them to say happy birthday to me, so I just left it waiting for them to say it but they never did and 4 days later they said 'they were too busy' but yet they could post snapchat stories etc etc. I was really annoyed because I spend money on them for their presents too, I got nothing in return. My mum said to me, if they were true friends they would at least acknowledge the fact it's your birthday and would attempt to celebrate wih you... even if they're busy that day, rearrange for a different day..but it never happened..whenever I organised something they also pulled out excuses.. since then they've been really self centred about things 'I'm older blah blah'...turned out they admitted they didn't care about me and left.. and said 'at least we're happy and you're stuck crying every day, get lost'...

I know how you feel and it is difficult to accept that it's happened, but it's either you move on and carry on or you talk to them about it. Happy Birthday Btw x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Sure your friends didn't say happy birthday, i can understand why people would be angry at that, especially if it's something you look forward to. however, you have a choice here, you can sit there being angry about it, or you can go out and enjoy yourself on your own.
pardon my french, but F*** em! go to the cinema and get yourself and extra large pizza all to yourself.

My grandmother gave my sister £500 on her 18th birthday, on my 18th, i got £20... and on my 19th my sister made it all about her, I was sat there in the city center while her boyfriend signed up for a credit card and we went into all the shops SHE wanted to go to. then she got drunk despite me saying i didn't want anyone to get drunk (I get serious anxiety around drunk people) and she then spiked my drink because she wanted me to 'loosen up a bit'. you can imagine how fun that was. I think the one thing i'm bitter about there is my grandmother, because she always favored my sister over me and not just monetarily.

At the end of the day, people aren't you, you might go above and beyond to say happy birthday, but you really don't know their present circumstances, we're only human, sometimes we do forget.

as I said, you have a choice, sit there and be angry about it therefore in retrospect the only person ruining your birthday is you, OR you can go out and have some fun and forget about it all. the choice is yours, you get what you're given, it's all how you use it.
(edited 7 years ago)
My friends all forgot my birthday this year as well. It wasn't until I put a picture up on snapchat that they then sent me a message saying happy Birthday. Worst of all my we have a group chat for my family and they all forgot as well. My sister had to post in the group chat before anybody else realised. So basically the only people who remembered were my mum dad and sister. It's just what happens when you get older.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
they may be planning a surprise
we did that for my brothers birthday
everyone outside our immediate family didn't say anything no texts or fb posts then he had his surprise party
Reply 15
I'm sorry :frown: Happy birthday
My friends would forget my birthday too if i didn't remind them so often
Original post by Allie4
what do you think I should do? I've been waiting all day for a birthday message but nothing which is really starting to anger me. their birthdays were only a couple of months ago, and despite all the workload i was under, i never forget to send them a birthday message as soon as i woke up. its been a tradition of ours, whether we meet up and celebrate or don't, at least a text or phone call to wish them happy returns was a must. but i get nothing and this is not the first time either that they haven't demanded a big deal for their birthdays but don't bother much with mine.

i know you're probably thinking 'big deal, its just a birthday' well its a big deal to me because this is a landmark year for us, i made an extra big deal for each of them - message, phone call to make them feel better about getting old then dressing up and dragging myself out for a night on the town to celebrate their big day and give them the expensive gifts i saved up and took weeks to find and buy. and what do i get for my day - not even an effing text!

i want to send a bitter message to them but i don't know what to say - any ideas? or is that just a bad idea? this is the second time they've done this to me and i'm beginning to feel as if i'm not as important to them as they are to me... :frown:

Happy birthday
Reply 18
Original post by Wordnerd2
Honestly if I were you I'd be really annoyed too, you made the effort and they haven't at all. I'd probably slide in a comment about how it is your birthday but just focus on you now. HAPPY BIRTHDAY THOUGH !Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you wordned!

Original post by CaitlinN15
I had this last year for my 17th, I'm the youngest out of all my friends by 7 months, I said happy birthday to all of them with a cringey paragraph etc explaining how much I've appreciated their support through my extremely difficult times etc and I got nothing when it was my birthday.I couldn't exactly beg them to say happy birthday to me, so I just left it waiting for them to say it but they never did and 4 days later they said 'they were too busy' but yet they could post snapchat stories etc etc. I was really annoyed because I spend money on them for their presents too, I got nothing in return. My mum said to me, if they were true friends they would at least acknowledge the fact it's your birthday and would attempt to celebrate wih you... even if they're busy that day, rearrange for a different day..but it never happened..whenever I organised something they also pulled out excuses.. since then they've been really self centred about things 'I'm older blah blah'...turned out they admitted they didn't care about me and left.. and said 'at least we're happy and you're stuck crying every day, get lost'...I know how you feel and it is difficult to accept that it's happened, but it's either you move on and carry on or you talk to them about it. Happy Birthday Btw xPosted from TSR Mobile

wow that truly sucks, what a bunch of b*****s. very true what your mum said, a true friend wouldn't forget but then they never were true friends especially if they spoke to you that way. sickens me how some people use each other. sorry about that but thanks for your wishes too CaitlinN15

Original post by Zeealex
Sure your friends didn't say happy birthday, i can understand why people would be angry at that, especially if it's something you look forward to. however, you have a choice here, you can sit there being angry about it, or you can go out and enjoy yourself on your own.pardon my french, but F*** em! go to the cinema and get yourself and extra large pizza all to yourself.My grandmother gave my sister £500 on her 18th birthday, on my 18th, i got £20... and on my 19th my sister made it all about her, I was sat there in the city center while her boyfriend signed up for a credit card and we went into all the shops SHE wanted to go to. then she got drunk despite me saying i didn't want anyone to get drunk (I get serious anxiety around drunk people) and she then spiked my drink because she wanted me to 'loosen up a bit'. you can imagine how fun that was. I think the one thing i'm bitter about there is my grandmother, because she always favored my sister over me and not just monetarily.At the end of the day, people aren't you, you might go above and beyond to say happy birthday, but you really don't know their present circumstances, we're only human, sometimes we do forget.as I said, you have a choice, sit there and be angry about it therefore in retrospect the only person ruining your birthday is you, OR you can go out and have some fun and forget about it all. the choice is yours, you get what you're given, it's all how you use it.

oh don't worry i still had a good day. got nice presents, went for a meal with my parents and siblings and then spent 4 hours with my adorable three-year old nieces, both of whom gave me one of their teddies as a present bless them so i'm still happy. just annoyed given these were supposed to be my friends and i went to great lengths for them on their birthdays but... you're right, i'm not going to let them spoil my day!

Original post by cpaige21
My friends all forgot my birthday this year as well. It wasn't until I put a picture up on snapchat that they then sent me a message saying happy Birthday. Worst of all my we have a group chat for my family and they all forgot as well. My sister had to post in the group chat before anybody else realised. So basically the only people who remembered were my mum dad and sister. It's just what happens when you get older.Posted from TSR Mobile

so much to look forward to :frown:

Original post by a_d_e
they may be planning a surprisewe did that for my brothers birthdayeveryone outside our immediate family didn't say anything no texts or fb posts then he had his surprise party

If only, it would be nice but i know them too well. they don't do stuff like surprise parties. anything that involves planning is something they avoid...

Original post by Abclkj
I'm sorry :frown: Happy birthday

thank you abclkj!

Original post by CorpusLuteum
My friends would forget my birthday too if i didn't remind them so often

aww...

Original post by john2054
Happy birthday

thank you john2045!
Reply 19
To be honest, Facebook is the only reason I remember birthdays. Still, I would message them personally a happy birthday and a nice message.

Latest

Trending

Trending