The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in their weaker language?

So if someone was bilingual in English and Spanish, with English being the stronger language, could they think in Spanish as well?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ur the OP from threads like these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4197989 aren't you.
Reply 2
twz
OP
Original post by Inexorably
ur the OP from threads like these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4197989 aren't you.

No?
Reply 3
twz
OP
Bump
Yes but it will be harder obviously if they're things you want to say but don't know the word for in your other language you'll probably just convert to your dominant one.
Reply 5
twz
OP
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Yes but it will be harder obviously if they're things you want to say but don't know the word for in your other language you'll probably just convert to your dominant one.

So these bilinguals can think in 2 languages?
I can't think in Welsh.
My native language is Urdu, but I always think in English (which is my second language). However, I don't think English is my 'weaker' language. I grew up reading English-language books, watching English movies and TV shows, studying in an English-language school, etc., so I think my English might actually be better than my Urdu at this point!

I also speak two other languages at an intermediate level but I can't think in them (unless I really force myself to). So I'm guessing you need to have a certain level of fluency in a language in order to be able to think in it.
Reply 8
twz
OP
Original post by claireestelle
I can't think in Welsh.

You can or you can't?
Reply 9
Original post by twz
No?

I'm fairly sure you are based on the style of your posts. Why do you feel the need to make so many threads/even accounts about this?
Reply 10
twz
OP
I'm fairly sure you are based on the style of your posts. Why do you feel the need to make so many threads/even accounts about this?

I see, I was reading one of his threads before.
Reply 11
twz
OP
Original post by 5audade
My native language is Urdu, but I always think in English (which is my second language). However, I don't think English is my 'weaker' language. I grew up reading English-language books, watching English movies and TV shows, studying in an English-language school, etc., so I think my English might actually be better than my Urdu at this point!

I also speak two other languages at an intermediate level but I can't think in them (unless I really force myself to). So I'm guessing you need to have a certain level of fluency in a language in order to be able to think in it.

Can you think in Urdu?
I don't think you think in any language, but I can certainly have an internal monologue in either English or French so I would consider myself bilingual.
Reply 13
twz
OP
Original post by scrotgrot
I don't think you think in any language, but I can certainly have an internal monologue in either English or French so I would consider myself bilingual.

So you can think in 2 languages?
I did Spanish a level, I can think in Spanish but just like my Spanish is not perfect neither are my thoughts. It's a lot easier to think in English though

Why does it matter? It's a question and the user doesn't need to hounded for asking one (or several).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by twz
So if someone was bilingual in English and Spanish, with English being the stronger language, could they think in Spanish as well?

Yes. It is possible but it'll be a little more difficult, especially if it isn't their mother language.
Reply 17
twz
OP
Original post by 1010marina
I did Spanish a level, I can think in Spanish but just like my Spanish is not perfect neither are my thoughts. It's a lot easier to think in English though

But thinking in spanish would be difficult, given you studied spanish at an older age?
Reply 18
twz
OP
Bump
Reply 19
I speak 3 langauges and I mainly think in english because it is the one I speak in the most.

Quick Reply

Latest