The Student Room Group

British students could be excluded from Erasmus scheme after Brexit

What do you guys think of British students being excluded from such an amazing opportunity to study abroad?
In my course it is essential that I go abroad on my third year, I just want to know everyone's opinions.
a big thanks to the Leave Voters !!! Britain can manage perfickly well without Tershyary educayshun.
Source? This is heart-breaking! I was really looking forward to a year abroad..
Reply 3
Original post by tanyapotter
Source? This is heart-breaking! I was really looking forward to a year abroad..

Its on newspapers. I know they are usually biased but I'm still trying to find more information. "Head of exchange programme between European universities says its future cannot be guaranted beyond 2017"
Original post by its_brubz
Its on newspapers. I know they are usually biased but I'm still trying to find more information. "Head of exchange programme between European universities says its future cannot be guaranted beyond 2017"

Oh my god :frown: I was really counting on it being available til at least 2018-2019.. that sucks so much.
I've already voiced my opinion in the thread in the Educational Debate forum. I'm furious.
By any chance is the inclusion of Norway, Iceland, Israel, Turkey, and all the other non EU members of the scheme's inclusion also at risk? No? Okay, probably mere posturing.
Original post by the bear
a big thanks to the Leave Voters !!! Britain can manage perfickly well without Tershyary educayshun.

Your avatar shows what a caring and wonderful person you are. Bless you.

There's no guarantee either way. I'm sure language students will still be able to spend a year abroad. What did they do before Erasmus?
Reply 8
Original post by YaliaV
There's no guarantee either way. I'm sure language students will still be able to spend a year abroad. What did they do before Erasmus?

British Council assistantships have been around since before anyone ever thought of Erasmus (I did one in 1981/1982 :eek:), and I can't see any likelihood of those dying out any time soon. It might just mean more bureaucracy, if such a thing is possible!

I can't remember what the situation was for ML students who were not doing assistantships but I'm sure there must have been arrangements in place because even in that distant past there were more applicants than places available.

Quick Reply