The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Pets in student accommodation?

I was reading the residence conditions for student accommodation in Bristol. I thought that pets were a no go but I will paste what they've written below with a link. It's on page 2 paragraph 5.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/media/docs/residence-conditions_14-15.pdf

"You must not have or keep pets in the Accommodation that could harm the Accommodation, affect subsequent
tenants or be a nuisance to other tenants. Special arrangements can be made for registered assistance dogs at
some residences. "

So what does this mean exactly as to what type of pet would be accepted. I was thinking about a tarantula. They're small, easy to keep and don't need feeding too often. They don't make a noise either. I'm a mature student also so I'll be spending a lot of time studying in my room anyway.

Any thoughts on this and it would be great to hear from anyone that has approached Student Halls about keeping pets.
Everything is permissible/legal as long as you don't get caught!''They're small, easy to keep and don't need feeding too often'' use that to your advantage and just hide the thing when room inspections come around (they're always announced in advance as it's a legal requirement).If you ask the University they'll say no, but some careful book/tea towel arrangements prior to any room visits from staff will prevent any trouble.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Anything quiet and contained would be fine :cute:

As long as it's not making noise or roaming the accommodation then it ain't breaking the rules :yy:
When I was in halls I remember one guy had some tropical fish, and one flat had a hamster but they just let it run wild (no cage) and it died after about 4 weeks. I don't see anything wrong with having a tarantula apart from people might not want to come into your room. As someone with severe arachnophobia I'd not be comfortable with someone having a tarantula within the same building!*
Original post by gerwynm
I was reading the residence conditions for student accommodation in Bristol. I thought that pets were a no go but I will paste what they've written below with a link. It's on page 2 paragraph 5.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/media/docs/residence-conditions_14-15.pdf

"You must not have or keep pets in the Accommodation that could harm the Accommodation, affect subsequent
tenants or be a nuisance to other tenants. Special arrangements can be made for registered assistance dogs at
some residences. "

So what does this mean exactly as to what type of pet would be accepted. I was thinking about a tarantula. They're small, easy to keep and don't need feeding too often. They don't make a noise either. I'm a mature student also so I'll be spending a lot of time studying in my room anyway.

Any thoughts on this and it would be great to hear from anyone that has approached Student Halls about keeping pets.
If you are afraid to ask them directly or don't want to talk to them about it, then you are better off not doing it. I understand that it's your pet and you want to take it with you but if I were living with you in your flat or even as a roommate, I would be checking with the accommodation people to see if it's allowed. If you're not living with anyone then that's slightly different, but hopefully you see the point I'm trying to make. I've looked them up just now to see that if someone doesn't know how to deal with it or does the wrong thing (i.e if it were to escape) then it'd cause trouble - do you really want that to happen or be liable for it?

Original post by Random_PC_Errors
Everything is permissible/legal as long as you don't get caught!''They're small, easy to keep and don't need feeding too often'' use that to your advantage and just hide the thing when room inspections come around (they're always announced in advance as it's a legal requirement).If you ask the University they'll say no, but some careful book/tea towel arrangements prior to any room visits from staff will prevent any trouble.

If it were a pet hamster or something similar I'd say fair enough and turn a blind eye but when it comes to a tarantula, wouldn't you cross the line or not want to break the rules?
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies everyone they're greatly appreciated. I'm still waiting for my room to be appointed which should be around the middle of August. At that time I will know which building I've been allocated. I will definitely contact them about the pet policy. As it is a contained pet however and wont be leaving it's enclosure I'm hoping it shouldn't really be a problem. I can understand that some people do have a fear of spiders although they wouldn't have to worry about it escaping or even seeing it. Their enclosures can be padlocked so I would definitely do that as a precaution when I'm not there.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending