The Student Room Group

What do you believe made your application succesful?

Dear oxford students!

I feel like giving an oxford application a shot.
Can you let me know how long you spent perfecting your application and what you believe made it a success?
Thanks!
Reply 1
I must admit this would be really helpful!
Ditto ^ :smile:
Ditto ^ :smile:
Go to the Open Days - presentations are available to help with exactly this sort of question.

And there is lots of useful info here from the University : http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/ucas-application/writing-your-personal-statement
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mvpmb
Dear oxford students!

Can you let me know how long you spent perfecting your application and what you believe made it a success?
Thanks!

On paper I was quite weak but my written work and interview made me stand out :ahee:

Plus they'd seen/talked to me at summer schools and open days (music is a small subject and my tutor has a good memory for faces anyway), so they knew I really wanted it :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mvpmb
Dear oxford students!

Thanks!

In terms of how long I spent on my application, you could argue it was all the time from the beginning of GCSE's until A level results, certainly the academic record you gather over those few years is a big deciding factor in who is invited to interview and ultimately offered a place.

No admissions test for me in chemistry at the time (although a variation on the TSA is being introduced for Chemists this year), but I gather admissions tests are pretty important in the subjects where they're applicable in terms of deciding who's coming to interview.

Didn't worry too much about personal statement (got a couple of teachers to read through and recommend changes), for many subjects (especially sciences i'd say) virtually all personal statements say (more or less) the same things, even down to the specific books people have read.

Having said that, doing some extra reading I felt gave me a big advantage come interviews, just being able to apply some ideas not covered at A level gives the tutors the impression that you can self teach and understand, a crucial skill in any degree!

Hope that's helpful, just work hard and make sure you choose a subject you're enthusiastic about and you're in with a shout! Good luck with your application! :smile::borat:
My BMAT made my application. Don't think I would have been successful without it.
I think my HAT score was a big factor to get me an interview and then the interviews themselves
I think being able to analyse the literary texts in the interview and being able to talk about them in detail, while still being able to come up with new ideas on the spot when given important new information - basically thinking on my feet and explaining my thought processes.*
1. Spending a good amount of time on personal statement, reading around the subject & linking it to school work.
2. Preparing for the unexpected at the admissions test i.e. thinking creatively and applying ideas you do know to those which are unknown.
3. Be yourself & try to stay relaxed at interview - demonstrate passion for your subject and show your ability to respond to unseen texts, questions & arguments.
Current Philosophy & German Undergraduate here :smile: getting an interview is going
to be based on 1) predicted grades; 2) your aptitude test (I didn't learn any thing for mine, per se, just made sure that I could communicate opinions fluently and
structure an argument well, and for a language test your grammar and vocab need to be solid; and 3) your personal statement - I mentioned my academic interests, what A-levels had pushed me to learn and how I took it a step further, other hobbies to demonstrate a fairly well-rounded individual (save your words and don't mention bronze Duke of Edinburgh - it's not everything!). There's a LOT of advice/speculation/scaremongering about Oxford interviews - but what you'd really need to demonstrate is intellectual freethought and an interest in your subject. I had to ask for the definition of an English word in my German interview, honestly. It's not necessarily what you know at that stage, it's how you think. Good luck!
Chemistry reject here XD What got me an interview was good grades haha. What didn't get me in were my poo interviews! I was wayy too nervous.
There are lots of youtube videos with advice on this, of course. Personally speaking, for Biological Sciences, I would stress:

At first application - make sure that your PS emphasises your involvement in the specific subject that you are applying for. Remember that everyone who applies for Oxford will have been a high achiever generally, so they won't be very interested in general accomplishments like being captain of a sports team, or doing a DoE award, or how you showed team leadership skills when you organised a charity event. Instead, refer to academic reading that you have done beyond the school curriculum and mention a specific idea that excited you. Talk about something you have done that is closely related to your subject that shows extra enthusiasm and commitment to it - for Biology, that you carry out the BTO Breeding Birds Survey in 3 kilometre squares each year, for instance.

At interview, be prepared to talk about what you mentioned in your PS - why that reading excited you, what the Survey work taught you. When you are asked tough interview questions, don't be discouraged if you don't know "the answer". Instead, say your thoughts out loud, tell them what ideas you have and maye discard. Revise your conclusions in light of their further questions etc. Remember that they want to enjoy your interview as much as you do, so make it a conversation!
Original post by Mvpmb
Dear oxford students!

Thanks!

Hi Mvpmb,

Have you already started writing your personal statement?
I believe a successful application is a combination of things: Good grades, a very good Personal Statement, depending on the subject a top score at your aptitude test, and of course yourself and you ability to communicate your passion for the sbject you intend to study.
This must shine through your PS as a first step. May be you could have a look at this vlog which will advise you on how to write a great PS.

Getting ready for any Aptitude Test is also a good preparation. Depending on your subject there are lots of books or courses that could help you achieve a great score.
Which subject are looking to study?

Also a good thing to do is to practice communicating your ideas as if you were in an interview. You should be able to show enthusiasm, flair and in depth knowledge for your subject, while being able to tackle a question without getting unsettled. Our info centre offer all sorts of advice on that.

I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :h:

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending