The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Smith isn't even that good at attacking. He was just good at running in a straight line.

I'm expecting a RB and a LB and then we're sorted.. doesn't look like we're going to have much net spend either.

The only thing Smith has is pace and crossing. The buy back clause is a bit pointless on this occasion.

Forgot which journalist but one of the reliable ones said Klopp is expecting one more signing now, which will surely be a left back?

Also re: the net spend point, I think you'll get some people moaning about that but in reality it's fantastic business this summer from FSG and Ayre. We've got all of Klopp's targets (who's evidently happy with FSG given he signed a new contract and commended them in his latest interview) and got rid of deadwood and still kept a relatively low net spend. FSG haven't always got it right but this summer is an example of how to run a football club the right way.

I would've liked another midfielder but I have a theory that Klopp might be being patient with Dahoud. It's obvious how much he likes him and I think it might be like when he decided not to bid any higher for Teixeira in January and wait for Gotze (which didn't happen). It's virtually impossible to buy Dahoud this summer as Gladbach will not replace him with anyone better, have Champions League football and Dahoud doesn't exactly want to leave.

I'm still pretty optimistic for the new season now.
Karius
Clyne-Matip-Lovren-new LB*
Wijnaldum-Can
Mané-Firmino-Coutinho
Sturridge
*Amavi, Hector, Willems or Wendell

In away matches and games against bigger teams I'd go 4-3-3 with Can, Grujic and Wijnaldum in midfield and Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge up top.

Having Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge on the pitch at the same time absolutely guarantees a plethora of goals. None of our midfielders come close to Wijnaldum's goal record (if he plays there which Klopp said is a possibility) and it took Lallana 2 seasons to get the same number of total goals + assists as Mané got last season alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Done some more thinking and these are the 2 teams I'd be happy with: (Lovren is always debatable).
Karius
Clyne-Matip-Lovren-new LB
Wijnaldum-Can
Mané-Firmino-Coutinho
Sturridge
This would surely be our best lineup attacking wise being able to fit in all of our best attackers- sorry Lallana but he doesn't really compare. Firmino also finally gets to play in his natural position where he played for Hoffenheim, behind a striker who isn't Benteke. Mané's pace balances the attack and Wijnaldum's forward runs and goals from midfield will be vital. Only question mark is the midfield, but Wijnaldum has comfortably played there before and I don't see what benefit there is to Henderson starting over him.

Firmino, Coutinho, Mane and Wijnaldum got 65 goals and assists between them last season and Mané and Wijnaldum didn't have very good strikers to help them either. That 65 figure does not include Sturridge/Origi/Ings.
Karius
Can-Grujic
Wijnaldum
Firmino------Coutinho
Sturridge
I don't see this midfield trio being ran over. Can and Grujic know how to defend, Wijnaldum has the creativity and goals whilst Grujic can finish too. The physicality means this midfield is never going to get bullied. But arguably most importantly, all 3 have the ability to pick the ball up and drive forward with the ball. Mané coming on as a fresh substitute for Firmino would be great however it could be argued that Mané should start over Firmino in that formation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Done some more thinking and these are the 2 teams I'd be happy with: (Lovren is always debatable).
Karius
Wijnaldum-Can
Mané-Firmino-Coutinho
Sturridge
This would surely be our best lineup attacking wise being able to fit in all of our best attackers- sorry Lallana but he doesn't really compare. Firmino also finally gets to play in his natural position where he played for Hoffenheim, behind a striker who isn't Benteke. Mané's pace balances the attack and Wijnaldum's forward runs and goals from midfield will be vital. Only question mark is the midfield, but Wijnaldum has comfortably played there before and I don't see what benefit there is to Henderson starting over him.

Firmino, Coutinho, Mane and Wijnaldum got 65 goals and assists between them last season and Mané and Wijnaldum didn't have very good strikers to help them either. That 65 figure does not include Sturridge/Origi/Ings.
Karius
Can-Grujic
Wijnaldum
Firmino------Coutinho
Sturridge
I don't see this midfield trio being ran over. Can and Grujic know how to defend, Wijnaldum has the creativity and goals whilst Grujic can finish too. The physicality means this midfield is never going to get bullied. But arguably most importantly, all 3 have the ability to pick the ball up and drive forward with the ball. Mané coming on as a fresh substitute for Firmino would be great however it could be argued that Mané should start over Firmino in that formation.

Defensive wise for our best attacking line up 4-2-3-1, Can is a box to box, similar to wjnaldum, they are better going forward, and could leave only our defence defending. it would be better if instead of wjnaldum we had a kante or casemiro, but it can still work though. The 4-3-3 is solid, hopefully it gets goalals every game.

Theres also the option of Origi and Sturridge upfront in a 2. Origi was excellent last season and cant be on the bench never appearing. He has to come on all the time if we are not winning and Ings will hardly get game time in league.
Original post by Samiz
The only thing Smith has is pace and crossing. The buy back clause is a bit pointless on this occasion.

Forgot which journalist but one of the reliable ones said Klopp is expecting one more signing now, which will surely be a left back?

Also re: the net spend point, I think you'll get some people moaning about that but in reality it's fantastic business this summer from FSG and Ayre. We've got all of Klopp's targets (who's evidently happy with FSG given he signed a new contract and commended them in his latest interview) and got rid of deadwood and still kept a relatively low net spend. FSG haven't always got it right but this summer is an example of how to run a football club the right way.

I would've liked another midfielder but I have a theory that Klopp might be being patient with Dahoud. It's obvious how much he likes him and I think it might be like when he decided not to bid any higher for Teixeira in January and wait for Gotze (which didn't happen). It's virtually impossible to buy Dahoud this summer as Gladbach will not replace him with anyone better, have Champions League football and Dahoud doesn't exactly want to leave.

I'm still pretty optimistic for the new season now.
Karius
Clyne-Matip-Lovren-new LB*
Wijnaldum-Can
Mané-Firmino-Coutinho
Sturridge
*Amavi, Hector, Willems or Wendell

In away matches and games against bigger teams I'd go 4-3-3 with Can, Grujic and Wijnaldum in midfield and Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge up top.

Having Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge on the pitch at the same time absolutely guarantees a plethora of goals. None of our midfielders come close to Wijnaldum's goal record (if he plays there which Klopp said is a possibility) and it took Lallana 2 seasons to get the same number of total goals + assists as Mané got last season alone.

I imagine that Klopp wants it as a policy. That we sell promising youngsters with a buy-back clause. If you start picking and choosing who has/who doesn't then buying clubs are more likely to argue. Whereas if every club knows we'll only sell a promising youngster with a buyback, it's easier to ensure it is in when we do want it. We can just be flexible on the buyback price (set really high if a player we don't care about).

I'm still sort of expecting 2 fullbacks. If Flanagan goes on loan we're basically looking at Clyne, Moreno, Gomez if/when he is back or others like Klavan/Sakho/Milner playing out of position to cover.

Tbh I'm not sure I care if we spend loads or not that much so long as the squad looks good. We don't have all the extra games this season so I'd rather Klopp had a core he was happy with (without squad players getting annoyed they're not getting enough games) and then on the back off a good season this year, spend big next summer when more targets are obtainable and we have more game etc. The squad looks in good shape at the moment.

Personally I think Henderson will still be in the first XI from the start of the season but we'll see what Klopp is thinking.
Original post by Fish40
Origi was excellent last season and cant be on the bench never appearing. He has to come on all the time if we are not winning and Ings will hardly get game time in league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, a few weeks in and Origi will be first choice with Ings coming on as sub
I imagine that Klopp wants it as a policy. That we sell promising youngsters with a buy-back clause. If you start picking and choosing who has/who doesn't then buying clubs are more likely to argue. Whereas if every club knows we'll only sell a promising youngster with a buyback, it's easier to ensure it is in when we do want it. We can just be flexible on the buyback price (set really high if a player we don't care about).

I'm still sort of expecting 2 fullbacks. If Flanagan goes on loan we're basically looking at Clyne, Moreno, Gomez if/when he is back or others like Klavan/Sakho/Milner playing out of position to cover.

Tbh I'm not sure I care if we spend loads or not that much so long as the squad looks good. We don't have all the extra games this season so I'd rather Klopp had a core he was happy with (without squad players getting annoyed they're not getting enough games) and then on the back off a good season this year, spend big next summer when more targets are obtainable and we have more game etc. The squad looks in good shape at the moment.

Personally I think Henderson will still be in the first XI from the start of the season but we'll see what Klopp is thinking.

I agree about the buy back clause I was just saying it's extremely unlikely we'll ever be triggering Smith's.

And I unfortunately agree about Henderson, but I'm optimistic that by the end of the season he'll have been replaced by Grujic and or Wijnaldum. Although to be honest I'm also optimistic that Grujic will have the number 8 shirt by 2020 :biggrin:
Original post by difeo
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, a few weeks in and Origi will be first choice with Ings coming on as sub

I hate you :frown:

True though...
Allen to have a medical at Stoke today ahead of the move. Smith trained at America yesterday, Lucas, Matip, Sakho, Gomez [all injured], Benteke and Wijnaldum didn't
Original post by mr tim
Allen to have a medical at Stoke today ahead of the move. Smith trained at America yesterday, Lucas, Matip, Sakho, Gomez [all injured], Benteke and Wijnaldum didn't

Toure signs for Celtic too. Surprised he didn't go to China..

Balotelli training with the reserves (see his Instagram).
(edited 7 years ago)
Allen to Stoke completed. £11m + £2m in add-ons.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's over... :frown:
Original post by mr tim
Allen to Stoke completed. £11m + £2m in add-ons.

Hmm surprised, I thought it was £13mil + 2mil in add-ons.

Original post by Lúcio
It's over... :frown:

Good riddance that the debate is over now.

Least we're slowly getting through our business now. Just Benteke, Balotteli, Alberto and Ilori left to shift now?

Least we're slowly getting through our business now. Just Benteke, Balotteli, Alberto and Ilori left to shift now?

Should've held out until at least 35m imo.

Please show the man some respect - he was amazing for us in the last season or two.

Benteke will be shifted for a good price without much trouble.
Balotelli will be tough but he'll either go for a meagre fee or go out on loan.
Alberto will go for a semi-decent fee to a Spanish club and Ilori will either go out on loan or we'll keep him and he'll barely get a game.

I think we've done better selling than buying in this window, and that's more important that you'd think.

Anyone fancy doing an incoming and outgoing list combined with transfer fees of the business so far and any potential future business? Been quite a lot of outgoings and incoming to keep track of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brad Smith to have medical with Bournemouth tomorrow and we have given up on Chilwell, no new LB imminent.

Ojo has linked up with the squad following his Euro U19s commitment. Can to join in LA.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Should've held out until at least 35m imo.

Please show the man some respect - he was amazing for us in the last season or two.

Benteke will be shifted for a good price without much trouble.
Balotelli will be tough but he'll either go for a meagre fee or go out on loan.
Alberto will go for a semi-decent fee to a Spanish club and Ilori will either go out on loan or we'll keep him and he'll barely get a game.

I think we've done better selling than buying in this window, and that's more important that you'd think.

I wouldn't judge our purchases until we've seen what Klopp thinks he can do with them. Yea decent job so far selling.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Anyone fancy doing an incoming and outgoing list combined with transfer fees of the business so far and any potential future business? Been quite a lot of outgoings and incoming to keep track of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ins
Mane - 34mil
Wijnaldum - 25m
Karius - 4.7m
Grujic - 5m (January)
Klavan 4.4m

Outs
Ibe - 15mil
Skrtel - 5mil
Allen - 13mil
Jerome Sinclair - £4mil
Sergi Canos £2.5mil
Jordan Rossiter - £250k
Jaoa Teixeira - £250k
Lawrence Vigouroux - £400k
K.Toure - free
Enrique - free

Brad Smith expected to move for 6mil soon. Balotelli told to find a new club. Benteke linked to Crystal Palace for around 30mil. Flanagan considering a loan move.

Original post by mr tim
Brad Smith to have medical with Bournemouth tomorrow and we have given up on Chilwell, no new LB imminent.

Ojo has linked up with the squad following his Euro U19s commitment. Can to join in LA.

If we don't sign a fullback or two, I'm going to be really nervous for next season..
It's actually hilarious how many players Arsenal are gonna have missing for the opening game.

We'll still somehow find a way to lose... :colonhash:
Original post by Lúcio
It's actually hilarious how many players Arsenal are gonna have missing for the opening game.

If they were playing any other club I'd find it absolutely hilarious, just imagine what AFTV will be like after you've won.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio

I guess Wenger will say that it's a marathon and not a sprint?

Latest