The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

I hope this test is a draw now after that decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
England virtually teabagging Pakistan with no follow on. Hopefully the decision won't bite him back... critics will have a field day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unreal from Cook. Just why

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pathetic batting on a flat wicket by Pakistan. Openers once again doing nothing. Azhar and Younis failing again. Younis should have retired ages ago. His reflexes and hand eye coordination are gone which is why he does these ridiculous dance moves while batting. Misbah once again the lone warrior. Pace bowling is also equally pathetic. Wahab is all pace and nothing else. Rahat despite possessing the skills is a brainless bowler. Amir is vastly overrated. There is no Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis or Imran Khan there anymore. Only rain can save Pakistan now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Unreal from Cook. Just why

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must be taking lessons on winning from Jeremy Corbyn.
Original post by barnetlad

looooool this killed me ahahahahaha

tbf the fo would have given the match a +ve result for eng - even if pak managed to get infront, eng would only be chasing 50 max and they would have 2 days to do so smh, easy win tbqh
Reply 1466
Seen plenty of anti-Cook criticism on social media, but there's method in his madness.

I thought perhaps he wanted to give Vince and Ballance the chance to make themselves indispensable ahead of the third Test, but then again, they may not get to the crease too quickly anyway.

You imagine Pakistan feel they've got away with one, to be honest. For a period today, I thought we may have not reached day four.

Misbah struck a well-timed half-century to anchor the visitors, on what was promising to be a dismal day for them, but he and Riaz's ninth wicket partnership of 60+ was key and frustrated the hosts.

Moeen finally found a wicket, and about time too, but we can't overlook the way Riaz targeted him. *
All the seamers found glory in the form of a wicket *but it was a shame to see the day interrupted by the weather.*

Again, Woakes emerged with added reputation and a genuine ability to change games. Remember his batting average is so strong, it can be argued he's very much an all-rounder.

The pitch did things for the seamers, and there was plenty of swerve and pace in it for England, which probably went some way to helping Cook make the follow on decision what it was. Still, can it be viewed as conservative and a little timid, perhaps? Probably. I can see why Cook did it, but i can't imagine Steve Smith, Virat Kohli et al making that call.*
The only reason I have read that might be reasonable is to give a break to James Anderson who is just back from injury.
Reply 1468
Cook is such an attacking captain. We all know Pakistan can get 600 on this pitch to win on the final day.
Reply 1469
Original post by Mackay
Seen plenty of anti-Cook criticism on social media, but there's method in his madness.

I thought perhaps he wanted to give Vince and Ballance the chance to make themselves indispensable ahead of the third Test, but then again, they may not get to the crease too quickly anyway.

You imagine Pakistan feel they've got away with one, to be honest. For a period today, I thought we may have not reached day four.

Misbah struck a well-timed half-century to anchor the visitors, on what was promising to be a dismal day for them, but he and Riaz's ninth wicket partnership of 60+ was key and frustrated the hosts.

Moeen finally found a wicket, and about time too, but we can't overlook the way Riaz targeted him. *
All the seamers found glory in the form of a wicket *but it was a shame to see the day interrupted by the weather.*

Again, Woakes emerged with added reputation and a genuine ability to change games. Remember his batting average is so strong, it can be argued he's very much an all-rounder.

The pitch did things for the seamers, and there was plenty of swerve and pace in it for England, which probably went some way to helping Cook make the follow on decision what it was. Still, can it be viewed as conservative and a little timid, perhaps? Probably. I can see why Cook did it, but i can't imagine Steve Smith, Virat Kohli et al making that call.*

I know Cook shouldn't have followed on. But Michael Clarke only ever forced the follow on once, and that was his last test...
Reply 1470
Original post by Louis.
All set for our template innings:

2nd opener gone early, Cook and Root rebuild, middle order collapses, lower middle order rebuild, ~320 all out.

Just the 250 runs and two wickets off
No follow on is obviously to protect the bowlers. Broad and Woakes are in the middle of back to back tests, and Anderson and Stokes have just come back from injury. I reckon the medical team will be full of stats about how enforcing the follow on risks bowlers getting injured. There must be something not visible to pundits/commentators/journalists/spectators etc because the follow on is enforced less and less these days.

Shame it's all everyone is talking about. We've put in a fantastic performance and we still find a way to moan.

Original post by SGHD26716
Just the 250 runs and two wickets off

You're welcome.

It's what happens when your best batsmen score centuries instead of getting out for 60.
Original post by barnetlad

looooool this killed me ahahahahaha

tbf the fo would have given the match a +ve result for eng - even if pak managed to get infront, eng would only be chasing 50 max and they would have 2 days to do so smh, easy win tbqh
Reply 1473
I know Cook shouldn't have followed on. But Michael Clarke only ever forced the follow on once, and that was his last test...

I think there's an argument to suggest Cook's captaincy isn't a brilliant one, but as an England fan, I was more disappointed with his rigid decision making in terms of the bowlers, rather than the lack of a follow-on.

Having Broad and Anderson open the bowling, because they are the "senior" bowling partnership, rather than deploying Woakes and Stokes who are in such a rich vein of form, was pretty poor in my opinion.*
Original post by The_K1NG
Pathetic batting on a flat wicket by Pakistan. Openers once again doing nothing. Azhar and Younis failing again. Younis should have retired ages ago. His reflexes and hand eye coordination are gone which is why he does these ridiculous dance moves while batting. Misbah once again the lone warrior. Pace bowling is also equally pathetic. Wahab is all pace and nothing else. Rahat despite possessing the skills is a brainless bowler. Amir is vastly overrated. There is no Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis or Imran Khan there anymore. Only rain can save Pakistan now.

This post is cancer
Pakistan must have been delighted when Cook didn't enforce the follow-on and I can only think it was to give the bowlers a rest however they bowled 60 overs or so and the only issue was the players returning from injury (Anderson/Stokes) who bowled well. Surely he spoke to them about how they were feeling before going into bat again but not so sure if he did. Still expect England to win.

Misbah/Riaz did well to frustrate England but it's been a dismal performance mainly because they've not adapted to conditions quick enough - guess where the backroom experience comes in (Mushy, Arthur, Flower) to try and plan for this beforehand.
Cook is such an attacking captain. We all know Pakistan can get 600 on this pitch to win on the final day.

They can, that chase by Pakistan on the final day against Sri-Lanka a couple of years ago is evident to that.

Edit: Not likely though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1477
Original post by Mackay
I think there's an argument to suggest Cook's captaincy isn't a brilliant one, but as an England fan, I was more disappointed with his rigid decision making in terms of the bowlers, rather than the lack of a follow-on.

Having Broad and Anderson open the bowling, because they are the "senior" bowling partnership, rather than deploying Woakes and Stokes who are in such a rich vein of form, was pretty poor in my opinion.*

How long do you think Anderson will last? He is 34 next week. One more Ashes series?

England have a gem in Chris Woakes. Can bat and bowl. Interesting how he goes in India later
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1478
Original post by Enginerd.
They can, that chase by Pakistan on the final day against Sri-Lanka a couple of years ago is evident to that.

Edit: Not likely though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lakmal and Eranga aren't exactly on the same level as England's bowlers. Pakistan to be all out 163.
Lakmal and Eranga aren't exactly on the same level as England's bowlers. Pakistan to be all out 163.

Yes, but we're talking about a 5th day pitch which can make any bowler look world class. But, I agree, can't see Pakistan getting through tomorrow let alone Tuesday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest