The Student Room Group

Is it a common thing for people to not move into uni?

I've heavily researched the costs etc of accommodation in many unis I'm considering and I'm highly hoping to get into one that's only about 5 miles from where I live. I was assuming I'd just get accomm. there, but I realised it's quite stupid considering my house is a short bus ride away.

I was thinking - if I were to NOT get accommodation at uni, would that be something weird? Like, how would the day-to-day go? Do you only turn up for lectures or can you do that and stay for the day to study (or something)

If anyone does stay at home but go to uni, I'd appreciate any details :smile:
I might not get into this uni and I will probably choose to just move in if the one I DO get into is further - but just to be sure (and just to be optimistic)
you shouldn't stay at home - literally half the benefit of uni is becoming independent, learning to live with other people, meeting other people. by living with home with your parents you are missing out on all of that.
Reply 2
Original post by Tabstercat
you shouldn't stay at home - literally half the benefit of uni is becoming independent, learning to live with other people, meeting other people. by living with home with your parents you are missing out on all of that.

Yeah, that was mainly why I just expected to live there in the first place. In hindsight, it just seemed like I'm paying for something I don't need??? I would be much more comfortable if the uni was across the country but it's like moving into a house that's next door to your current one :s-smilie:
I think most students move to uni, but there are obviously plenty who don't.

As for whether or not you should, that is down to you and your priorities. But to answer a few question.

Original post by mythical6

Like, how would the day-to-day go?

In terms of attending classes, pretty much the same as everyone else at university. You turn up to classes and labs (if you have them) as scheduled. Only differences I can think of is

1) you have to get the bus in (though even some students who live at their uni city have to do this, I have to get the bus in)
2) Less likely to walk to class with people for the first class of the day. I knew people who lived with their course mates so they'd wake each other up in the morning and go to class together. This isn't much of an option if you live at home.

Do you only turn up for lectures or can you do that and stay for the day to study (or something)

Of course you can stay for the day to study, some people definitely do this. However you need to bare in mind that sometimes you simply may not want to stay to study, you may be tired or hungry and end up spending a bunch of money on convenience food (I know I do when I go the library) if you don't pack enough for the day. You also need to consider class schedules. You may find yourself having a 9am class and then have to wait around until 3pm for your next class. Now obviously you could get the bus home, but if this is happening frequently or if you have several of these a day (class at 9, then one at 1 and your last at 4) you may find yourself spending way more money than anticipated on bus fare (unless you can get a bus pass that saves you money).Fact is you won't always want to stick around and study every day. Most people I find go back to their student halls or housing in between classes if the break is 2 hours or more, so you have to make more of an effort to get involved with people if you don't have people waiting for you at home to make friends with.

I'm not a stay at home student but I know a fair few.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, that was mainly why I just expected to live there in the first place. In hindsight, it just seemed like I'm paying for something I don't need??? I would be much more comfortable if the uni was across the country but it's like moving into a house that's next door to your current one :s-smilie:

I'm someone who chose to live out for uni despite being able to very feasibly commute.

I did it because I crave my independence and I find living at home very stressful.

Like I said it's all down to preference and your personal priorities.
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall
I think most students move to uni, but there are obviously plenty who don't.

As for whether or not you should, that is down to you and your priorities. But to answer a few question.

In terms of attending classes, pretty much the same as everyone else at university. You turn up to classes and labs (if you have them) as scheduled. Only differences I can think of is

1) you have to get the bus in (though even some students who live at their uni city have to do this, I have to get the bus in)
2) Less likely to walk to class with people for the first class of the day. I knew people who lived with their course mates so they'd wake each other up in the morning and go to class together. This isn't much of an option if you live at home.

Of course you can stay for the day to study, some people definitely do this. However you need to bare in mind that sometimes you simply may not want to stay to study, you may be tired or hungry and end up spending a bunch of money on convenience food (I know I do when I go the library) if you don't pack enough for the day. You also need to consider class schedules. You may find yourself having a 9am class and then have to wait around until 3pm for your next class. Now obviously you could get the bus home, but if this is happening frequently or if you have several of these a day (class at 9, then one at 1 and your last at 4) you may find yourself spending way more money than anticipated on bus fare (unless you can get a bus pass that saves you money).Fact is you won't always want to stick around and study every day. Most people I find go back to their student halls or housing in between classes if the break is 2 hours or more, so you have to make more of an effort to get involved with people if you don't have people waiting for you at home to make friends with.

I'm not a stay at home student but I know a fair few.

Thank you! My priorities lay in my education, but cost is a very close second. Uni is getting seriously expensive and I feel that living there is just spending in excess when I'm already living 15 minutes away.

It does seem quite inconvenient even after this justification though. I didn't think about the gaps between classes...
I'm like 60/40 on moving there/staying home. It would really help me to move in with people and I'd really love it anyway because I love being independent. I feel it would cater me better.

I'm really just focusing on cost even after this, but do extra thousands really change the fact it's gonna be thousands anyway?

I'm on 2017 entry so I have a lot of time to think about it.
Reply 6
I'm pretty much just moving 10 minutes down the road to my accommodations for Uni in a few months. If you're tight on money, it would make sense to stay home, but if you can somehow afford it, even if it means living on a tighter budget, I would recommend you move out. It's not only a very different experience, but unless you plan on living with your folks forever I think it's a good stepping stone to independence.
My brother stayed at home when he was at uni and he didn't feel that he missed out. I'm going to do the same. My local uni is the only one that does the course I want to do. So staying at home is a no-brainier. I mean why pay £500 + a month for inferior accommodation when you can live at home for free? It doesn't make sense. One or two years at home will let me save up for the year I will be spending in France so when the time comes my parents shouldn't have too fork out too much money to support me. All my siblings have been financed through uni by my parents so as my dad has just retired I think I'm helping them by staying at home - my parents would've paid for halls for me if I'd wanted to but somehow it doesn't seem fair to do that when I have a perfectly comfortable and supportive home to commute from. I see it as having the best of both worlds.

I intend joining clubs which match my interests so I think being involved will let me enjoy the best of uni, the inky difference being I will go home to my own bed.

Most important thing is to do what's right for you rather than what other people thing you ought to do.
you'd still be able to use all the campus facilities, same as any other student, you just wouldn't have access to the student halls - so libraries, study areas, cafes etc would all be accessible
I have lived at home throughout my degree because my local university is the one I always wanted to go to anyway and it meant I could save money to buy a house instead of wasting it on **** accommodation with people who could end up being a nightmare. Now I'm a year away from graduating, haven't had any issues making friends or taking part in uni activities, have actually studied more than I would've if I lived at uni and I've also got a deposit for a house already saved up. I really can't think of any negatives for living at home throughout uni.
I've heavily researched the costs etc of accommodation in many unis I'm considering and I'm highly hoping to get into one that's only about 5 miles from where I live. I was assuming I'd just get accomm. there, but I realised it's quite stupid considering my house is a short bus ride away.

I was thinking - if I were to NOT get accommodation at uni, would that be something weird? Like, how would the day-to-day go? Do you only turn up for lectures or can you do that and stay for the day to study (or something)

I might not get into this uni and I will probably choose to just move in if the one I DO get into is further - but just to be sure (and just to be optimistic)

It depends reall to n how long this short buss ride is if it's over 30 mins go in to halls just keep this in mind you may have days where you will have a 9am lecture and a 6pm lecture that's 9 hours you get to study 8 with an hour off for lunch it is impossible to study for that long everyday non stop if you have halls you can go back between lectures because you live so close if however you live at home that can't really be done so think about that.*
Reply 11
Friend's daughter went to her local uni. She lived at home for the first year and moved to a shared student house for her second year. She moved back home for her third year to save money - and for the advantage of home cooking and Mum's laundry service!

So you don't have to do one or the other. You can mix it up over your course. Try both and then choose the one which suits best for your third year.

Hello :smile:

It is a fairly common thing for students to live at home whilst at university - it's only a minority out of the overall number but it's still common. Personally, I'd say move out if at all possible - university is about being independent and I couldn't imagine not living in halls during First Year.
I wouldn't worry too much, across my campus there were a few people that lived within a bus journey away but still managed to get accommodation - with a lot of universities it's first come, first serve when it comes to applying but if you don't, it's not the end of the world.

I have a few friends that lived at home and travelled to university and they were still hanging around university often. They'd come in for lectures and generally spend the day on campus, studying or hanging out with other people and such.

It just depends on your timetable and what you have going on etc.

It wouldn't be weird no, as others have said a sizeable minority of students commute. You would just need to make more of an effort to make friends- you wouldn't have a ready made friendship group in the form of flatmates, you would need to be willing to approach people in your classes and be an active member of societies to make friends. If you want to go on nights out, you would have to considere how you were going to get back and if your parents minded you coming back late. And you might find class times aren't commuter friendly. Also if you were to stay at home I would suggest you reach out to other commuters on your university facebook group once your place is confirmed.
Depends on your finances. If you do not have enough, don't move out!*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending