The Student Room Group

UK, two men jailed for putting bacon on Mosque doorstep

Scroll to see replies

Good riddance.
Those guys deserved it. Well done.
I would say the guys deserved it. Absolutely disrespectful and no need.
Original post by Abclkj
They deserve it tbh.

Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Good riddance.

Original post by bluemax
Those guys deserved it. Well done.

Original post by loveleest
I would say the guys deserved it. Absolutely disrespectful and no need.

Cheering on jail time...you do realize that the majority of Muslims are calling for 'blasphemers' and homosexuals to get the same treatment and not just those who 'disrespect' their religion. I wonder if you'll still be cheering it on then.
Original post by Josb
"Ambaro Maxamed, 24, students Ayan Maxamed, 28, and Hibo Maxamed, 24, and their 28-year-old cousin Ifrah Nur each admitted actual bodily harm, which carries a maximum sentence of five years’ imprisonment.

But Judge Robert Brown gave them suspended jail terms after hearing mitigation that as Muslims, the women were not used to being drunk. The Koran prohibits Muslims from consuming alcohol, although Islamic teachings permit its use for medicinal purposes.

After the sentencing, Ambaro Maxamed wrote on her Twitter account: ‘Happy happy happy!’, ‘I’m so going out’, and ‘Today has been such a great day’."

:lolwut: :lolwut: :lolwut:

That is deeply disturbing.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
It's a matter of perspective, I think the system failed by allowing a religion to encroach on everyone else's freedoms to begin with and these men were not only right, but that greater measures should be taken to humble the adherents of Islam.

Throwing bacon on private property could technically be considered littering and shouting abuse could possibly be considered harassment. Although we don't know what comments were made, it does seem to have been an unprovoked attack and they do seem to have crossed a line. So in this case, I don't think it is religion encroaching. I do not see why I should have the freedom to throw my rubbish on someones property or shout abuse at someone.

The simple fact is that this religion has been given more rights than any other in our societies, news stations will not depict blasphemous images, politicians will grovel when their adherents kill non-believers. people will be thrown in jail for being deliberately offensive, people from their communities will have the police actively cover up crimes, I could go on.

If you cannot see this very serious and very real position of power that Islam and Muslims are now in, then you are lost and I cannot help you.

I do perceive religious infringements on our freedoms a serious problem, but I don't think this case is an example. I have been a vocal proponent of people having the freedom to draw blasphemous images (including pictures of Muhammad). When religions do encroach on our freedoms, I will condemn it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sentence is too harsh. The rapists should be hanged imo
The simple fact is that this religion has been given more rights than any other in our societies

:rofl:

So the 50%+ of Muslims in the UK that believe homosexuals should be dragged before a magistrate and sentenced are beyond our help then, what should we do with them ?

Meh, Christians feel the same about me for what i choose to put in my body and those ****ers have the law on their side.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4220378
Original post by The Epicurean
Throwing bacon on private property could technically be considered littering and shouting abuse could possibly be considered harassment. Although we don't know what comments were made, it does seem to have been an unprovoked attack and they do seem to have crossed a line. So in this case, I don't think it is religion encroaching. I do not see why I should have the freedom to throw my rubbish on someones property or shout abuse at someone.

I do perceive religious infringements on our freedoms a serious problem, but I don't think this case is an example. I have been a vocal proponent of people having the freedom to draw blasphemous images (including pictures of Muhammad). When religions do encroach on our freedoms, I will condemn it.

Nobody is condoning what this man did, but you have to admit that 9 months in prison for those things is a tad extreme.
deserves to be punished but 9 months!

But we don't know these peoples history so perhaps it was a fair sentence
Reply 70
Fairly reasonable if you ask me
Reply 71
Original post by DorianGrayism
He has a history of violence and racism on multiple occasions. That is just a quick google search.

On this occasion, he shouted racial abuse at passer-bys.

Why did he go to the mosque? Probably to incite violence or at the very least extreme aggravation.

So, he should go to jail.

The only reason why you are saying otherwise, is because you have no empathy for victims of racial abuse.

No it is because I don't place idiots being idiots as a reason to jail someone.

Despite what you think jail isn't handed out for every little crime.
Reply 72
I don't think jail time will be at all constructive or that it is at all appropriate. But then, what is constructive when it comes to idiots like these? I do agree that it is absurd that incidents like this can result in such punishments while incidents of rape and sexual abuse, for which there is sufficient evidence, have no consequences for the perpetrators.
Original post by limetang
Nobody is condoning what this man did, but you have to admit that 9 months in prison for those things is a tad extreme.

The OP isn't saying that the issue is that the sentence was too long. If that was the discussion, then although we don't have the full details of what happened, it does seem rather lengthy and disproportionate for what it was.
It's not like they put a silver spoon in front of a Vampire church...
Original post by joecphillips

what punishment would you propose?
Reply 76
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
what punishment would you propose?

Probably community service and a restraining order from going near mosques.
Sounds pretty pathetic. Religious people, and I'm religious myself, need to understand that people won't get their religion and may cause offence but the best thing is just to overlook it and still be respectful when things like this take place. By taking criminal action against these people just causes more hatred between religious and non religious people and unnecessary time wastage.
Clearly our government has it's priorities in check, 'we needs to fight Islamophobia to stop Muslims killing us' seems to be the sentiment. Maybe if we bend over far enough to institutionalize their religious laws they wont feel the need to by violence.

Yet Muslim rapists have gotten off with nothing, claiming cultural ignorance, for attacking young girls. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268395/Adil-Rashid-Paedophile-claimed-Muslim-upbringing-meant-didnt-know-illegal-sex-girl-13.html

" Two men have been jailed over an attack on a mosque in Bristol in which bacon was tied to door handles and abuse was shouted at a worshipper. "

"Kevin Crehan, of Springleaze, Knowle, has been jailed for a year, while Mark Bennett, of Spruce Way, Patchway, was given a nine-month sentence for his role in the disturbance at the Jamia Mosque in Green Street, Totterdown, earlier this year.Crehan, 34, and 48-year-old Bennett were convicted of a racially aggravated public order offence, as were Alison Bennett, also of Spruce Way, Patchway, and Angelina Swales, of West Town Avenue, Brislington,At Bristol Crown Court today Alison Bennett, 46, was given a six-month suspended sentence, while 31-year-old Swales was given a four-month suspended jail term."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/two-jailed-over-bristol-mosque-bacon-attack/story-29534352-detail/story.html
See, this is why I prefer Jews.

All the Jews I know would laugh it off, call you a putz, and then get on with their lives.
Original post by joecphillips

Yes, shouting racist abuse at ppl and having multiple past convictions must be just a guy acting like an idiot. *

All little crimes*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending