The Student Room Group

Changing loan payment dates for year abroad?

Hi, I'm studying abroad in California, starting late next month.

In the US there's only 2 terms which means I'm getting the 3rd installment of my maintenance loan when I'm nearly about to finish my studies!

I know students at Leeds University (I'm at Birmingham) can apply to have it given in 2 installments rather than 3.

I realise I may need to contact my University but I was just wondering if anyone has had their's changed or knows how easy it is?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by corax
Hi, I'm studying abroad in California, starting late next month.

In the US there's only 2 terms which means I'm getting the 3rd installment of my maintenance loan when I'm nearly about to finish my studies!

I know students at Leeds University (I'm at Birmingham) can apply to have it given in 2 installments rather than 3.

I realise I may need to contact my University but I was just wondering if anyone has had their's changed or knows how easy it is?

Thanks!

This should just be a case of your university sending through new term dates for your year abroad.

You'll usually still get some loan in the summer term - your student loan is slightly larger when you're continuing because there is a portion allocated to cover your costs over summer holidays (when you're in your final year you'll find your summer installment is a fair bit smaller because they assume you'll be going into work or claiming JSA as soon as your exams finish).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
This should just be a case of your university sending through new term dates for your year abroad.

You'll usually still get some loan in the summer term - your student loan is slightly larger when you're continuing because there is a portion allocated to cover your costs over summer holidays (when you're in your final year you'll find your summer installment is a fair bit smaller because they assume you'll be going into work or claiming JSA as soon as your exams finish).

Hey thanks for replying.

Yeah I am getting my third installment in the summer term which is what I want to change because I don't have a summer term. I just have a Autumn (Sep-Dec) and Spring term (Jan-May)

It seems some people are able to change their loan installments to match their year abroad institution's terms. For example, I know students who are studying in China get their loan in one installment because there is only one term. It also seems that some people have changed their loan payments to two terms for North America.

I'll contact my University and see what they say - although I'm not feeling very hopeful as they haven't given us any information about this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending