The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ffs, every time I check the news there's an attack somewhere. It's becoming the norm in Europe now
Reply 7421
Not going to lie I am a little scared now about terrorists attacks, I think mainland europe it is more of an issue than here but in all honesty you can't stop a guy obtaining a gun and shooting up people, even if you do control guns and prevent any bomb attacks(which in all honesty I could probably just put a bomb in a bag at a shopping centre) you could also have the case of the lorry driver just getting people in.

Funnily enough the immigration laws being so lax in Germany has lead to this. As much as I hate to say it, background checks really need to be done to these immigrants, or proper societal integration programmes for all asylum seekers. At least so that the government actually does its job in preventing it from happening.

On one side you can't just let a bunch of refugees die at sea or stay at a place where they're being bombed daily but at the same time you can't be letting people in a country and have a few bad apples terrorise people.
Not that it would stop the problem, but Cameron was absolutely destroyed in the press for wanting to limit the number of refugees we took in to 20/50,000 whatever it was.
Reply 7423
What is Theresa May's opinion on immigration policy anyway?
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Not going to lie I am a little scared now about terrorists attacks, I think mainland europe it is more of an issue than here but in all honesty you can't stop a guy obtaining a gun and shooting up people, even if you do control guns and prevent any bomb attacks(which in all honesty I could probably just put a bomb in a bag at a shopping centre) you could also have the case of the lorry driver just getting people in.

Funnily enough the immigration laws being so lax in Germany has lead to this. As much as I hate to say it, background checks really need to be done to these immigrants, or proper societal integration programmes for all asylum seekers. At least so that the government actually does its job in preventing it from happening.

On one side you can't just let a bunch of refugees die at sea or stay at a place where they're being bombed daily but at the same time you can't be letting people in a country and have a few bad apples terrorise people.

The guy in Germany was German-Iranian, he'd been there fore years. The Nice Attack was a Frenchman of Tunisian decent. I believe I'm correct in saying that all the attacks in recent years have come from individuals who have lived in Europe for a while.

I do think we'll be attacked eventually, but it's so much more difficult in our country, with us being an island with strict gun laws and brilliant intelligence services.
(edited 7 years ago)
What is Theresa May's opinion on immigration policy anyway?

she is pretty famous for making student immigration much tougher..

Cant speak beyond that though.

( A lot of the expats out here hate her for it still...)
The attacks are scary because you don't know where/when it could happen (and they break the social contract by doing so). The reality is that there is violence and murder every day.

Crime figures show 573 homicides took place in the UK in 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/21/rate-england-wales-2015-rises-11

So there are 1.5 homicides on average per day yet we don't bat an eyelid generally. Why? Because it isn't so widely reported.

The same example is rape - people are generally more terrified of a stranger dragging you into the bushes to rape you but the statistics show it is more likely to be someone you know who does it.

Frankly in most of these terror acts, there's always a throw away comment about how the individual has a history of mental health issues.
Step 1 to solving this problem, is actually letting people talk about it.

Ofcourse on the internet its free reign - but in person, especially within universities and through the media.. my own experiance has been that any slightly negative view on unlimited immagaration, is met with waves of negativitiy and dismissal.

Pretty sure if I voiced some of my (in my opinion moderate) views on immigration at a university campus today, I would be branded a UKIP supporter and dismissed instantly.. (even though I am not a UKIP supporter, and am completely in favor of controlled immigration)

-- Opinions such as:

Some migrant groups do not integrate as well within our society..
Some religions need more careful care and support with integration then others..
Full scale mass immigration can cause an unstable social structure within an area..
2nd and 3rd generation immigrants face their own unique problems.. they are not just a non-issue once we get past 1st generation..

etc.

should not be shouted down but listened to, as they draw on real issues that we are facing.

Instead we have one side of a debate who is just shouting racism.. and the other side is completely mis-dirrecting their anger at Islam, instead of focusing on why the 0.00whatever % are acting out..

Mass immigration as we have right now, and for the past generation, is untested waters.. its never been done before in the same way, and we need to accept that its not just Immagaration = good, or bad.. but rather its a spectrum, and one that we can constatly refine and improve on.

I remember a while back during the referendum campaign, a Remain voter was defending immigration by showing how economically beneficial it was to us.. which I would not argue at all against.. But the question is not is it good - it is how can it be better.

How can we make it even more financially beneficial..
how can we make the already good (much better then France) inclusion, even better..

Etc.

In the mean time just thank god we one of the best intelligent services around..
Anyone who's lived in a big city will tell that, in general, cultures don't really mix; people from one background will always stick with people from said background. Wherever you go there'll be pockets of certain groups. It's human nature to stick with what you know.
Original post by sr90
x

Nintendo shares plummet after it points out it doesn't make Pokémon Go

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/25/pokemon-go-nintendo-shares-tokyo-stock-exchange-niantic

:colondollar:
Original post by Zerforax
Nintendo shares plummet after it points out it doesn't make Pokémon Go

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/25/pokemon-go-nintendo-shares-tokyo-stock-exchange-niantic

:colondollar:

Absolute banter that^

Original post by The Wavefunction
Anyone who's lived in a big city will tell that, in general, cultures don't really mix; people from one background will always stick with people from said background. Wherever you go there'll be pockets of certain groups. It's human nature to stick with what you know.

Bit of a misconception really. It's the generation that have migrated here that struggle to intergrate and mix. The new generation are absolutely fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Reported for sexism

You actually reported me!!

I got a blue card... :colonhash:
Reply 7433
The attacks are scary because you don't know where/when it could happen (and they break the social contract by doing so). The reality is that there is violence and murder every day.

Crime figures show 573 homicides took place in the UK in 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/21/rate-england-wales-2015-rises-11

So there are 1.5 homicides on average per day yet we don't bat an eyelid generally. Why? Because it isn't so widely reported.

The same example is rape - people are generally more terrified of a stranger dragging you into the bushes to rape you but the statistics show it is more likely to be someone you know who does it.

Frankly in most of these terror acts, there's always a throw away comment about how the individual has a history of mental health issues.

They're scary because they're pretty indiscriminate attacks for the most part too. Of course people die every day but where I live most guys who die is a result of gang warfare or escalated fights in clubs/pubs, if you keep yourself to yourself and don't associate with the wrong crowd you won't get stabbed or shot up. Those are the kind of murders/homocides that we encounter usually. Most of them have some sort of linkage, or is a direct result of idiocy.

This is why I am in fear of terrorist attacks. Was in Westfield a few days ago and the place was pretty packed, it looked like the exact place where you'd get a terror attack happening, I was thinking in my head I could easily put a gun in my bag and unload on people, at least 20 people in my vicinity that could have been killed. Imagine if somebody else is thinking that and is willing to actually do it. They're indiscriminate killings.

With rape that's scary, I'm probably less likely to be raped than most people(I'm not exactly weak and I'm not in jail) so I don't have to really worry about that but I think it's probably similar story with women to how I view murders and terrorism, being smart, checking your drinks, not being around people who give off wrong signs will avoid you being raped by somebody you do know, but it's not going to stop you from potentially being raped by a stranger if they want to do so.
Reply 7434
Original post by AR_95
Absolute banter that^

Bit of a misconception really. It's the generation that have migrated here that struggle to intergrate and mix. The new generation are absolutely fine.

What do you mean by the new generation? As in second generation immigrants? I am a second generation immigrant and tbh all my siblings have similar views to mine and have integrated to society fairly well.

Also in major cities you will have the old generation generally staying in areas that have a high level of their people there, it's no surprise that asians will generally chill with one another in that sense, however in schools where there is a fair amount of multi culture they will integrate fairly well. Heck I went to university where the population was 90% white(although more mixed at the actual university) and well I settled fine.
Original post by AR_95
Absolute banter that^

Yeah that case in London I guess could the same be said for places up north with asian populations?
Reply 7436
Original post by sevchenko
Yeah that case in London I guess could the same be said for places up north with asian populations?

Yeah probably. The asian population up north are quite calm too. The second generation anyway.
They're scary because they're pretty indiscriminate attacks for the most part too. Of course people die every day but where I live most guys who die is a result of gang warfare or escalated fights in clubs/pubs, if you keep yourself to yourself and don't associate with the wrong crowd you won't get stabbed or shot up. Those are the kind of murders/homocides that we encounter usually. Most of them have some sort of linkage, or is a direct result of idiocy.

This is why I am in fear of terrorist attacks. Was in Westfield a few days ago and the place was pretty packed, it looked like the exact place where you'd get a terror attack happening, I was thinking in my head I could easily put a gun in my bag and unload on people, at least 20 people in my vicinity that could have been killed. Imagine if somebody else is thinking that and is willing to actually do it. They're indiscriminate killings.

With rape that's scary, I'm probably less likely to be raped than most people(I'm not exactly weak and I'm not in jail) so I don't have to really worry about that but I think it's probably similar story with women to how I view murders and terrorism, being smart, checking your drinks, not being around people who give off wrong signs will avoid you being raped by somebody you do know, but it's not going to stop you from potentially being raped by a stranger if they want to do so.

Well that's why the average white person/middle class person doesn't care about gang warfare - out of sight, out of mind? At the moment, it's still probably a bigger problem for our society than terrorism is but doesn't get anywhere near the same level of coverage or funding.

Surely by your logic, if you avoid the major hot spots then you're reducing the risk to terrorism? Not exactly how you want society to live their lives - need to tackle the root than avoid the problem.

I guess I was trying to make more of a point about the press and their uneven and potentially harming coverage. Frankly the more the press try and turn public opinion against muslims in this country (so far it's mainly been about foreigners and ISIS outside of the UK even if it spills over domestically), the more chances you have of radicalising muslims who have grown up in this country - that's when **** is going to get scary.
Original post by Lúcio
You actually reported me!!

I got a blue card... :colonhash:

I didn't must have been Fk lel
Reply 7439
Well that's why the average white person/middle class person doesn't care about gang warfare - out of sight, out of mind? At the moment, it's still probably a bigger problem for our society than terrorism is but doesn't get anywhere near the same level of coverage or funding.

Surely by your logic, if you avoid the major hot spots then you're reducing the risk to terrorism? Not exactly how you want society to live their lives - need to tackle the root than avoid the problem.

I guess I was trying to make more of a point about the press and their uneven and potentially harming coverage. Frankly the more the press try and turn public opinion against muslims in this country (so far it's mainly been about foreigners and ISIS outside of the UK even if it spills over domestically), the more chances you have of radicalising muslims who have grown up in this country - that's when **** is going to get scary.

By my logic yes that's the case, it's a sad truth and not an ideal situation but if you want to avoid things like that happening you have to reduce risk.

I don't think many muslims who have grown up in this country will be radicalised, yes there will be a few(as with most groups) but I don't think that's going to be a major problem, not in the UK anyway, which is pretty accommodating as a country to muslims living here abiding the law I believe.

Latest