The Student Room Group

Shout out to my fellow year 10s going into year 11!!

Are you guys revising for GCSEs now? Should I be? Am I the only one who finds the new maths and English GCSEs impossible?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JEG666
Are you guys revising for GCSEs now? Should I be? Am I the only one who finds the new maths and English GCSEs impossible?

I've just finished year 11 and honestly there's absolutely no need to start revising now. If you feel like you have to or are just bored then I would recommend just going over a few things you did in year 10. If you go overboard now you're definitely going to burn out too early.

Good luck with the exams :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JEG666

Maybe I can be of help in Maths! I'll pop a few questions :smile:

What level are you working at?

What tier are you working on?

Are there any specific topics you are struggling with?

I am revising, since I am a tad behind my targets in a few subjects (only a grade or two), and I really want to step it up if I want to go to my aspired uni. If you're struggling in Maths and English, you 100% should be working at it. Those are the most essential GCSEs, which you almost have to pass, with a 4. I would recommend getting the work down now, so you're not behind when you jump back in Year 11! :smile:

That said, you still have a ton of time, but it wouldn't hurt starting early.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey! I'm another Y10 going into Y11 in Sept. The daunting fact of the GCSEs being that close freaks me out but we can do it!

There will be a new Y11 thread made in due course, for the time being follow the Current Y10 thread. :biggrin:
I have just finished year 11, and similarly to the previous poster, I also feel that there is no need to start revising yet.

If you haven't finished learning all the content yet for your subjects, I would (and I did) make summary pages after each lesson. This will make sure you understood everything, and it will definitely help when you start revision!! I also made flashcards throughout the year, so that I could test myself whenever I was bored, and so that I was ready when the proper revision came in.

All I can say is, wait until after any mocks you have, and then start revising, as these mocks should highlight any areas that you're struggling with. If, like me, you have 2 sets of mocks before the real things, I would revise less for the first set, as this will then show you what you alreasy know, without any revision, and then of course, revise whatever you need to for the second set of mocks, and you should (hopefully!) See that you've improved a vast amount since the last ones!!

All I can say now is - Good luck with year 11! And don't worry too much!
(I will be taking all of my advice for my first year of 6th form also!)
I just finished my YR 11 exams. Let me tell you this you DO NOT need to revise months before if you consistently worked hard throughout the 2 years

Quick Reply

Latest