Original post by richpanda
Bath? Newcastle? Aston?

Newcastle is always a good choice, cheers! :wink:
Bath? Newcastle? Aston?

But then again, I would really like to live in London too, so maybe UCL
Original post by OGFakiie
But then again, I would really like to live in London too, so maybe UCL

Hmmm I've heard bad things on TSR about UCL's chemical engineering department.
Ah cool, what's a YINI?

Yes I'm starting A2 in september, I finished earlier this week. I'll be doing maths, physics and chemistry.

Yeah as jneill said it's basically an industrial placement for a year before you go to uni.

What unis have you been looking at?
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah as jneill said it's basically an industrial placement for a year before you go to uni.

What unis have you been looking at?

Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath, Cambridge, Newcastle
Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath, Cambridge, Newcastle

Sounds good, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Birmingham and still a bit undecided about my last choice but it's probably going to be between Edinburgh, Leeds and Manchester. Tho I could always scrap the 5th option and apply for History at the London Met or something for the banter :biggrin:
Reply 26
I've applied for 2016 entry and have an offer from Swansea! I did look at loads of other Uni's and always got told that it doesn't matter where you do the degree because they are all the same so just pick a place where you like the facilities and area, I also had offers from Leeds, Loughborough and Sheffield but Swansea just appealed to me the most even if it was the lowest of the 4!
I want to go to sheffiled how any advice on getting in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I've managed to secure a YINI placement for the year so I'm basically gonna work for the whole year. It's likely I won't finish until the start of September and if my uni doesn't start until October, I'm thinking of spending a few weeks in a building/disaster relief project in Nepal.

Hello! I'm also interested in doing a YINI before I go to university and was wondering what subjecy area your placement would be on? Also, how long did it take from applying and then getting the placement?

Sorry for the all the questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by semise
Hello! I'm also interested in doing a YINI before I go to university and was wondering what subjecy area your placement would be on? Also, how long did it take from applying and then getting the placement?

Sorry for the all the questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's no problem at all, I'm happy to help! :smile:

My placement is generally focused on Chemistry as I originally applied to do Chemistry at uni before deciding I'd rather do ChemEng but I think most of what I'll be doing is analysing and evaluating data. Obviously, you'll be able to choose roughly which subject area you want your placement to be in!
I applied around this time last summer but it was a bit too early. I would recommend starting and completing the application around the same time as UCAS just because the applications are similar.

You'll then be invited to a YINI interview where they'll get to know you a bit more before they send your CV to companies. The companies can then view your CV and ask through YINI to invite you to an interview. I went to the YINI interview in around December and started getting invited to interviews around February-March. I went to 2-3 interviews before securing the placement I have now.

Bear in mind, there is no gurantee you'll get a placement as it depends on the company interviews so I recommend that you have a back-up plan if you don't manage to secure one. You can always apply to university this year as well and defer your entry if you do manage to secure a placement.

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!
(edited 7 years ago)
heu os it pssobke to take a year in industry on a course that doesnt particularrly say year in industry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
heu os it pssobke to take a year in industry on a course that doesnt particularrly say year in industry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which course would that be? Most unis offer a year in industry course, and you can always switch I think
chemical engineering and biotechnology at Sheffield not really sure though because usually the cpurses that have yini state it in the title

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
chemical engineering and biotechnology at Sheffield not really sure though because usually the cpurses that have yini state it in the title

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually, a course only offers a year in industry if it's mentioned in the title. However, with the Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology degree at Sheffield, you're in luck as you can also apply for an industrial year as well.

"Degrees with Employment Experience. If you are doing any of our other courses and you want to do a year in industry then you can choose to change your degree to an MEng ‘With Employment Experience’. You would apply for the degree of your choice through UCAS and then apply to change to With Employment Experience after you have secured your placement this would normally be in your third year of study."

Source: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/cbe/ug/courses/industrial-experience
(edited 7 years ago)
oh nice so basically I do the degree but could change to the employment experience course at any time (think I might call the university to see how it works)
thanks again btw your really helpful
Posted from TSR Mobile
Posting because I want to apply to chemical engineering.
Quick question- will not having done physics A-level put me at a disadvantage? I've done AS further maths and plan on doing at least M2, possibly M3.
Reply 36
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Quick question- will not having done physics A-level put me at a disadvantage? I've done AS further maths and plan on doing at least M2, possibly M3.

Only if the university requires it. Some do. Most don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I doubt there'll be an issue as long as you meet the required entry requirements. However, physics A-level would help in the sense that the degree contains a lot of physics so you might need to learn some of the more fundamental concepts in your own time. Also, if you do attend an interview, there is a chance that they ask why you chose not to do A-level physics so be sure to think of an appropriate answer to that.

The only university that I would say that you might encounter difficulties is Cambridge. Physics is required if you want to go down the Engineering route and I would say a large majority would also have Physics when applying down the Natural Sciences route.
Original post by jneill
Only if the university requires it. Some do. Most don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt there'll be an issue as long as you meet the required entry requirements. However, physics A-level would help in the sense that the degree contains a lot of physics so you might need to learn some of the more fundamental concepts in your own time. Also, if you do attend an interview, there is a chance that they ask why you chose not to do A-level physics so be sure to think of an appropriate answer to that.

The only university that I would say that you might encounter difficulties is Cambridge. Physics is required if you want to go down the Engineering route and I would say a large majority would also have Physics when applying down the Natural Sciences route.

Thank you both.

@NeverLucky, are you applying to Cambridge? Engineering or Natural Sciences route?
Thank you both.

@NeverLucky, are you applying to Cambridge? Engineering or Natural Sciences route?

I hope so, it depends on my A-level results on results day. I'd apply via the NatSci route - general engineering doesn't really interest me and I think I'll enjoy doing a year of physics and chemistry.

Quick Reply