The Student Room Group

Passion, not grades. My off-season grind! (log)

This thread is dedicated to my daily progress/struggles by self-teaching Further Maths material (FP1-2+M2+50% M3) from now until ideally early September before my course starts. I'd love to self-teach FP3 + all of M3 but given the time I have I doubt It's manageable.

The purpose behind this thread is to help ease my transition from A levels to University level Physics as during my first semester (Sep-Dec) the following maths modules would have been covered (FP1-2+M2/M3) and (FP3+M4+ additional university material) in the second semester. (Jan-April) ---> Hit the ground running for a 1:1 in my 1st year. :excited:

I'll be self-teaching the material and doing x4-5 past papers on each module to get a feel of the type of questions they'd ask in exams as-well as to practice and improve on my current maths skills without becoming rusty. :moon:

I'll be uploading any questions I'm stuck on here and would appreciate any help I can get along the way as greatness isn't achieved alone. <--- "Team work makes the dream work".

(edited 7 years ago)
Monday 25-07-2016

FP1: Numerical solutions to equations - theory + exam q's.
M2: Projectiles - theory + exam q's.

Will update if I'm stuck on any questions on the topics above. ^
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I should be starting a maths degree in septmeber and the only form of further maths I've done is fp1 back in year 12 but i can't really remember any of it.... my plan this summer was to self teach fp2 and fp3 so I'm not left behind at uni but now my anxiety and fears surrounding whether I've met my offers mean I've ended up having 0 motivation and thus I've done nothing...

If I get into uni however I think after results day I'll try and smash out fp2 at least so I'm in the habit of doing maths when I start my degree
Reply 3
I'm a GCSE student but I still wish you luck in achieving the best you can! :smile:

(I don't think I would even be able to comprehend some of these questions :biggrin:)
Original post by fefssdf
I should be starting a maths degree in septmeber and the only form of further maths I've done is fp1 back in year 12 but i can't really remember any of it.... my plan this summer was to self teach fp2 and fp3 so I'm not left behind at uni but now my anxiety and fears surrounding whether I've met my offers mean I've ended up having 0 motivation and thus I've done nothing...

If I get into uni however I think after results day I'll try and smash out fp2 at least so I'm in the habit of doing maths when I start my degree

I know them feels. Exams don't prove your potential its just a 1 day performance but where real progress happens
is during the countless hours invested, skills learned & the techniques developed.

We're all gonna make it! :jumphug:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I know them feels. Exams don't prove your potential its just a 1 day performance where real progress happens is during the countless hours invested, skills learned & the techniques developed.

We're all gonna make it! :jumphug:

oh trust me like I messed up c3 by making such dumb errors which just don't reflect my ability given my teacher predicted me an A* like awkward now cause I'll only get an A but for other subjects like english lang when the papers are so random each year i can't help but think some students miss out cause of a dodgy paper with texts they aren't familiar with combined with dodgy marking ....

which uni are you hoping to go to ?
Good luck :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
oh trust me like I messed up c3 by making such dumb errors which just don't reflect my ability given my teacher predicted me an A* like awkward now cause I'll only get an A but for other subjects like english lang when the papers are so random each year i can't help but think some students miss out cause of a dodgy paper with texts they aren't familiar with combined with dodgy marking ....

which uni are you hoping to go to ?

I know. :sigh:

Hopefully KCL but who knows what will happen on results day.
I do have a bit of hope since my course is in clearing so there may be leniency. :puppyeyes:
Reply 8
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I know. :sigh:

Hopefully KCL but who knows what will happen on results day.
I do have a bit of hope since my course is in clearing so there may be leniency. :puppyeyes:

ah yes I did see it on clearing actually and looked at it but then I saw they want maths and further maths and I only have AS FM lol ... Both my uni's ( nottingham and manchester ) aren't on clearing currently so that doesn't make me feel too good but manchester was on there last year so i'm hoping they do add it onto the clearing list nearer results day but who knows ... I'm just so scared ohmygod
:goodluck:

You can make me want to make a thread self teaching AS/A level Physics.
Good luck with your goal, I'm also hoping to apply for KCL this year for 2017 entry :smile:
I've never come across anyone near enough as hardworking as you. Hope this helps you a lot during your time studying your degree.

Oh and try not to forget to enjoy yourself this Summer! :h:

Keep it up buddy! :jumphug:
I admire the hard work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending