The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
I looked at the c4 one and a few numbers seemed familiar but idk whether i did write them down in the exam or whether they're familiar because they were on the unofficial mark schemes so now i really don't know what to think ahh

I know! :frown: I wish I'd never looked, it has just created more unnecessary stress ugh :/ I wish they released grade boundaries so much earlier though, I reckon I could predict what I'd get on results day if I had the grade boundaries now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
I know! :frown: I wish I'd never looked, it has just created more unnecessary stress ugh :/ I wish they released grade boundaries so much earlier though, I reckon I could predict what I'd get on results day if I had the grade boundaries now

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh but doubt the boundaries have actually been set yet but I think it would be fairer if they released them when they have been set which I'm guessing would be like this time next week or earlier instead of keeping us waiting till the day before results day because yh i agree in the sense i would be able to predict my english lang grade if i knew what the grade boundaries for the AS resit and A2 papers were .... but at least they come out the day before results day thus giving me some time to prepare myself if i think the boundaries have screwed me over
Original post by fefssdf
yh but doubt the boundaries have actually been set yet but I think it would be fairer if they released them when they have been set which I'm guessing would be like this time next week or earlier instead of keeping us waiting till the day before results day because yh i agree in the sense i would be able to predict my english lang grade if i knew what the grade boundaries for the AS resit and A2 papers were .... but at least they come out the day before results day thus giving me some time to prepare myself if i think the boundaries have screwed me over

Most definitely. TSR is gonna be mad as per usual when grade boundaries are released, hopefully they don't decide to make the grade boundaries sky rocket! I'm feeling they might tbh as the majority of my exams were 'easy' dare I say it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emiloujess
I was already doubting it, purely because I'd never looked at Advertising courses before and this one has a year in industry. She just added to it. :angry: At least I don't live with her haha

You'd be more than able to get into advertising as a job with your Cardiff course though - there's no reason why you can't have it all with either route :smile:
Original post by Sacred Ground
Most definitely. TSR is gonna be mad as per usual when grade boundaries are released, hopefully they don't decide to make the grade boundaries sky rocket! I'm feeling they might tbh as the majority of my exams were 'easy' dare I say it

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh I can see the maths ones being high and also I fear psychology for AQA will also go up again given the amount of people now using model essays which the examiner reports have even mentioned which suggests AQA isn't keen for students to get A*'s and A's unless they do genuinely ace the papers
Someone kill me, I don't want this day to come.
LOL - promise you won't feel like that at 8 am on results day if UCAS has updated with happy news! Hold on tight - it will all work out :smile:
Original post by AlphaArgonian
Someone kill me, I don't want this day to come.
Never understood the point of memorising model answers (for psychology) - that's not really the point of 2 years of studying.
Original post by fefssdf
yh I can see the maths ones being high and also I fear psychology for AQA will also go up again given the amount of people now using model essays which the examiner reports have even mentioned which suggests AQA isn't keen for students to get A*'s and A's unless they do genuinely ace the papers
Original post by AmyPilot
LOL - promise you won't feel like that at 8 am on results day if UCAS has updated with happy news! Hold on tight - it will all work out :smile:

Hopefully, I mean I doubt I failed AS maths and AS further maths but I have no clue with these new specs for chemistry and biology.
Never understood the point of memorising model answers (for psychology) - that's not really the point of 2 years of studying.

Well I memorised over 20 essays word-for-word for psychology, however these were my own answers which I had spent ages creating myself using the textbooks and not ones from the internet, and I felt like personally this was the only way to guarantee actually doing really well in the exams as the exam is only 1.5 hours to write 3 essays so if i went in having just learnt random studies ect for each essay then i doubt i would've been able to write a proper essay but having memorised all the possible essays meant i used up 3 answer booklets for that exam having written like 5-6 pages for each question. I'll see on results day how effective this method was lol
Original post by AlphaArgonian
Hopefully, I mean I doubt I failed AS maths and AS further maths but I have no clue with these new specs for chemistry and biology.

ah gosh you do some hard subjects mate ... good luck to you :smile: and let us know what you get !
Wow don't know how you managed that! I did my A levels in 2014 (psychology included) and I didn't do it that way - don't think I would have been able to recall that much without getting all mixed up so well done you for your amazing recall powers! We had a "seen exam" at uni this year where you were given the paper in advance, had time to prepare your answer then reproduce it under exam conditions and it was probably my lowest mark this year lol! I must work better with making up as you go along on the day of the exam :colondollar:
Original post by fefssdf
Well I memorised over 20 essays word-for-word for psychology, however these were my own answers which I had spent ages creating myself using the textbooks and not ones from the internet, and I felt like personally this was the only way to guarantee actually doing really well in the exams as the exam is only 1.5 hours to write 3 essays so if i went in having just learnt random studies ect for each essay then i doubt i would've been able to write a proper essay but having memorised all the possible essays meant i used up 3 answer booklets for that exam having written like 5-6 pages for each question. I'll see on results day how effective this method was lol
Absolutely terrified for this day. I didn't apply for medicine last year so may not even get the chance to this year :/ to add to all the stress, we have parents trying to reassure us, but it just makes things worse!
Original post by Lularose83
Absolutely terrified for this day. I didn't apply for medicine last year so may not even get the chance to this year :/ to add to all the stress, we have parents trying to reassure us, but it just makes things worse!

There are different ways to get into Medicine if it doesn't work out this time round (although I'll keep my fingers crossed for you). :smile:
Original post by usycool1
There are different ways to get into Medicine if it doesn't work out this time round (although I'll keep my fingers crossed for you). :smile:

I think that knowledge is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment! Also thank you for all the help you give in relation to medicine questions :smile:
Original post by Lularose83
I think that knowledge is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment! Also thank you for all the help you give in relation to medicine questions :smile:

No worries. :smile:
Original post by PQ
:cool:

As an official card carrying groan up I don't get a long holiday over the summer (not least because in just under a month's time I'll be working on confirmation at work - A level results week is a bunch of extra work for us in universities:smile:).

I am doing something new this summer though - I have my first colony of honey bees to look after and get strong enough to survive the winter (and maybe get some honey). And for the first time in my life I'm playing a pokemon game :o:

I'm sure I've seen something somewhere about LNAT revision techniques. Am I right in remembering that it's part logical reasoning and part writing an essay?

Oh no! :frown:(( That's what I'm looking forward to least as a grown up, tbh. Does that mean that Sept-Dec is pretty slow and relaxing, though? Or is it full steam ahead all year?

Woaaah talk about getting a new hobby - that's so cool!! It sounds kinda scary though: how do you not get stung? And ehehe, I'm proud of you! Pokemon is pretty great, right? :wink:

Mhm! Lots of multiple choice practice... this is going to sound weird but multiple choice is my weakness when it comes to exams. In my January economics mock I got an A on the essay part and a C on the multiple choice - it was really aggravating!!
I'm really hoping for A*AA/ A*AB (best case scenario) in Politics, History & Eng Lit A-levels...my grade requirements are AAA. Worst case scenario, I'll get AAB :frown: I really want to go to University of Warwick to study Law! I've fallen in love with the university & I desperately want to move away from home for uni.

The worst part about my insurance (SOAS to study Law) is that it also wants AAA...so if they're not lenient on results day, then I'm pretty much ****ed. If I get AAB, I would be absolutely crushed, as that's what I got in Year 12. To be fair though, I did nowhere near enough revision for A2, so idk. All my exams went incredibly well, so I honestly don't know what to think.

I was very depressed all of Year 13, so attempting to study became such a huge struggle (plus college just made everything worse). That's what's making these results so confusing for me- I truly have no idea what could happen. Last year, during AS, I studied really hard (because for some reason, it made me feel less depressed) and I still ended up with AAB. This year, I got A*AC in my A2 mocks with no revision, and I did a bit more studying by the time it reached the proper exams in June- so I might be able to clinch A*AB or AAA. Fingers crossed. :unsure:
Try not to get too worked up about it all. You probably have doubts about Cardiff because you keep thinking you haven't got the grades. Go look at Bournemouth but keep an open mind. There will probably still be spaces in clearing after results day if things don't go to plan - but chances are if you get accepted into Cardiff all your doubts will disappear. Keep smiling :smile:

That's exactly what I think I'm doing - setting my heart on Bournemouth because I'm almost certain I haven't made the Cardiff grades. I tried telling my mum that but apparently that isn't a valid reason for my doubts. I think I need to read through the Cardiff course again and remember why I changed to it in the first place.

Original post by PQ
You'd be more than able to get into advertising as a job with your Cardiff course though - there's no reason why you can't have it all with either route :smile:

I know, there's an ad company in Cardiff that offers work experience, but Mum apparently doesn't think so. I wish I'd never mentioned it to her to be honest. At this point I'm starting to believe in fate and just going with 'if I get in I was meant to go there'.

Sorry for my complete freak out, I know it's not helping other people :frown:
please could someone link me to the edexcel maths mark schemes? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest