The Student Room Group

Do you still remember what you learned in your GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
ah i did those two as well ; got a c in the exam cause my teacher told us that ' we knew of mice and men ' and hence didn't really teach us how to write essays and we didn't even do a single mock before the exam either ....

Oh my god.. my teacher said the exact same thing and I ended up getting a C :frown:
Reply 21
I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast today
(The lack of paragraphs can be attributed to spacing issues which have something to do with my computer). I can remember quite a number of random facts that won't go away even though it's been a year since I took my GCSEs. Here's a selectionFrom GCSE Geography: BedZED is a low-energy usage housing scheme in Beddington. The roof of each house is designed in a way which enables it to be used as a garden. Parking lots are relegated to the outskirts of the development area to encourage walking and cycling. The walls are made of a material which absorbs heat energy from the Sun in the summer and releases it in the winter which makes the need for central heating obsolete. The average resident in BedZED knows twenty neighbors, which is higher than the national average (eight). Locally sourced recycled steel is used as part of the construction of the houses.From GCSE Music: Chopin's Prelude No. 15 ('Raindrop':wink: is an example of Romantic piano music. The composer wrote his Preludes Op. 28 during a stormy stay in Mallorca in the year 1838 and it is thought that the notes on the bass clef emulate the raindrops, hence the nickname. The piece uses the sustain pedal extensively, something which was not done before the Romantic era. The piece is in ternary form (A-B-A) and is in the key of D flat major, which the turbulent middle (B) section in C sharp minor. In the A section, the piece modulates to B flat minor before reverting to D flat major. The piece contains a coda (Italian for 'tail':wink: which concludes the piece. The prelude has common time (4/4) as its meter. In the middle section, the melody is often found in the left hand, which plays C sharp minor crotchet chords before the right hand regains the melody by playing notes in forte and fortissimo as the B section builds.From GCSE Latin: From Pliny to the historian Tacitus: You ask that I wrote to you about the death of my uncle so that it may be recorded for posterity. It was the 24th August and my uncle was stationed in Misenum presiding over the management of the fleet when my mother pointed to him a strange cloud which had appeared. It appeared to him, a well educated man, to be worth investigating and sent four ships and got on board himself. He asked me whether I wanted to join him; I said I needed to study and by chance he himself gave me something to write.He had set off when he heard from Rectina the wife of Pomponianus who was terrified of the impending danger..... From GCSE English Literature: Curly has anger management issues, Candy's dog stinks, Steinbeck calls Curly's wife a 'trap', and of course, my favourite one:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I still remember most of it
Original post by tianshan
Do you remember your A Level Biology?

Some of it.
Most GCSE's are made for cramming, so its no surprise that the content doesn't stick after.
I can remember my Year 9 Geography though:
- the coldest temperature recorded in Antarctica was -89.2C
- this was at Vostok Station
- Lake Vostok was named after Vostok Station
- the average wind speed in Antarctica is 200mph

gonna get me real far in life :rolleyes:
Reply 27
I mean, they were mostly little facts.

Sometimes, yeah. I went down the languages route but I took separate science GCSEs and I always boss science questions when they come up in quizzes. Geography too actually.
Original post by fefssdf
I learnt over 20 essays for psychology word-for-word and can't remember a single word of any of them now lool ; thanks AQA

For my English lit exam you had to cram as it was a closed book exam and you just needed a bank of quotes from the books and how else were you going to remember that? Don't really understand the point of doing that.
The only thing I can remember is the odd quote from lady Macbeth because she's amazing...
Again, thanks AQA...
Reply 29
Original post by Palette
(The lack of paragraphs can be attributed to spacing issues which have something to do with my computer). I can remember quite a number of random facts that won't go away even though it's been a year since I took my GCSEs. Here's a selectionFrom GCSE Geography: BedZED is a low-energy usage housing scheme in Beddington. The roof of each house is designed in a way which enables it to be used as a garden. Parking lots are relegated to the outskirts of the development area to encourage walking and cycling. The walls are made of a material which absorbs heat energy from the Sun in the summer and releases it in the winter which makes the need for central heating obsolete. The average resident in BedZED knows twenty neighbors, which is higher than the national average (eight). Locally sourced recycled steel is used as part of the construction of the houses.From GCSE Music: Chopin's Prelude No. 15 ('Raindrop':wink: is an example of Romantic piano music. The composer wrote his Preludes Op. 28 during a stormy stay in Mallorca in the year 1838 and it is thought that the notes on the bass clef emulate the raindrops, hence the nickname. The piece uses the sustain pedal extensively, something which was not done before the Romantic era. The piece is in ternary form (A-B-A) and is in the key of D flat major, which the turbulent middle (B) section in C sharp minor. In the A section, the piece modulates to B flat minor before reverting to D flat major. The piece contains a coda (Italian for 'tail':wink: which concludes the piece. The prelude has common time (4/4) as its meter. In the middle section, the melody is often found in the left hand, which plays C sharp minor crotchet chords before the right hand regains the melody by playing notes in forte and fortissimo as the B section builds.From GCSE Latin: From Pliny to the historian Tacitus: You ask that I wrote to you about the death of my uncle so that it may be recorded for posterity. It was the 24th August and my uncle was stationed in Misenum presiding over the management of the fleet when my mother pointed to him a strange cloud which had appeared. It appeared to him, a well educated man, to be worth investigating and sent four ships and got on board himself. He asked me whether I wanted to join him; I said I needed to study and by chance he himself gave me something to write.He had set off when he heard from Rectina the wife of Pomponianus who was terrified of the impending danger..... From GCSE English Literature: Curly has anger management issues, Candy's dog stinks, Steinbeck calls Curly's wife a 'trap', and of course, my favourite one:

Spoiler

Wow, that is an impressive amount of details!
Reply 30
I can't remember most of it and I only finished them a month ago :colondollar:
I remember bits of of mice and men

"i want to tend the rabbits George"
Original post by Lkathryn08
For my English lit exam you had to cram as it was a closed book exam and you just needed a bank of quotes from the books and how else were you going to remember that? Don't really understand the point of doing that.
The only thing I can remember is the odd quote from lady Macbeth because she's amazing...
Again, thanks AQA...

Some exams really don't test understanding at all but your ability to memorise things which anyone can do if they give themselves enough time so the grade at the end is rather a reflection of the effort put in and how good you are at revising as opposed to how good you are at understanding the content haha
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Damn, and I thought our teacher was a bit poor. :redface: To be fair she also taught us at A Level and did nothing while four of us just played cod5 at the back during every Wife of Bath lesson..

Ha Yh well I bet my teacher was worse cause basically in year 11 the school decided we were going to swap exam boards for English language meaning we were still doing coursework for English Lang when we should've done English lit and also in year 10 our teacher kept being ill so we had like 5 teachers and each one seemed to teach us something really random like we had this Canadian woman teaching us about ' characterisation ' whatever that even means and then when it came to year 11 our teacher seemed to just forget we were even doing English lit and so nobody in the entire year got higher than a B.....
Reply 34
Original post by fefssdf
Ha Yh well I bet my teacher was worse cause basically in year 11 the school decided we were going to swap exam boards for English language meaning we were still doing coursework for English Lang when we should've done English lit and also in year 10 our teacher kept being ill so we had like 5 teachers and each one seemed to teach us something really random like we had this Canadian woman teaching us about ' characterisation ' whatever that even means and then when it came to year 11 our teacher seemed to just forget we were even doing English lit and so nobody in the entire year got higher than a B.....

Oh my...I think my school was perhaps a little better than I gave it credit for
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Oh my...I think my school was perhaps a little better than I gave it credit for

It was so bad that they allowed people with C's or even D's to do alevel English lit ..... But amazingly quite a few people last year got an A at AS cause the head teacher along with this decent teacher do alevel instead of the other bloke who did GCSE !
I can't remember any of them... Since I mainly aced them and forgot them:biggrin: In truth, I tried to do my AS math prep and couldn't remember how to do any of it so I need to reteach myself GCSE's over the summer.. yeah, I know right?:angry:
Reply 37
I took them last year and don't remember much. I remember some parts of English lit, French and... yeah that's probably it tbh. Considering my revision tactic for a lot of my exams was to revise the night before or 20 minutes before it started, I'm not surprised I can't remember a lot
I mean, they were mostly little facts.

Yes, mainly that high school kids are ****
mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

Quick Reply

Latest