The Student Room Group

Are the recent attacks related to Islam?

This poll is closed

Islam is (mostly) to blame for the recent attacks

Yes, most definitely. 75%
Islam is among many other equally significant factors. 17%
We cannot blame Islam for the actions of a minority.8%
Total votes: 12
What do you think? Are the recent attacks Islam related or just general fanatics?
They're certainly caused by migrants from islamic countries. Even if they "don't" follow the religion, we should be careful about who we let in fromm thoose parts of the woorld.
Original post by MildredMalone
They're certainly caused by migrants from islamic countries. Even if they "don't" follow the religion, we should be careful about who we let in fromm thoose parts of the woorld.

Do you think those attacks would have happened had they been migrants from a non-Islamic country, China for example?
Original post by F.Nietzsche
What do you think? Are the recent attacks Islam related or just general fanatics?

Nice- Yes
Woman and kids stabbed for scantily dressed - Yes
Axeman - Yes
Iranian guy - No
Pregnant woman stabber - Dont know
German bomb - Yes (BBC reporting German authorities found Jihadist videos on his phone and laptop)
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you think those attacks would have happened had they been migrants from a non-Islamic country, China for example?

Is China a fair comparison to Syria though? One is a relatively stable and peaceful country, whereas the other is a country currently in a civil war. Would we see the same issues from Malaysian Muslim migration?

Whilst Chinese immigrants tend to be viewed positively here, in some countries they aren't. In some countries, the perception towards the Chinese minority is not unlike the view some in the West in the past had towards Jews. Look at the history of Indonesia for example and you will find many uprisings and pogroms against the Chinese, especially so in 1965 and 1998. Also, I think it is worth mentioning that in some countries, the Chinese are associated with criminal elements such as the Chinese triads, prostitution, selling illegal goods.

Surprisingly, Muslims born and raised in the UK or France are far more likely to join a group like ISIS than in a country like India or Indonesia.
To say that they aren't Islam-related would be pretty stupid. It's more than obvious that they all have something to do with Islam.
Of course not, the real culprit is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Original post by The Epicurean
Is China a fair comparison to Syria though? One is a relatively stable and peaceful country, whereas the other is a country currently in a civil war. Would we see the same issues from Malaysian Muslim migration?

Whilst Chinese immigrants tend to be viewed positively here, in some countries they aren't. In some countries, the perception towards the Chinese minority is not unlike the view some in the West in the past had towards Jews. Look at the history of Indonesia for example and you will find many uprisings and pogroms against the Chinese, especially so in 1965 and 1998. Also, I think it is worth mentioning that in some countries, the Chinese are associated with criminal elements such as the Chinese triads, prostitution, selling illegal goods.

Surprisingly, Muslims born and raised in the UK or France are far more likely to join a group like ISIS than in a country like India or Indonesia.

I guess not a fair comparison, I guess Central African Republic would be a better country to compare to. Would immigrants from CAR cause the sort issues being caused by Syrian/Iraqi immigrants in Europe? Well, I actually don't know much about Malaysia/Malaysians to comment on that one.

But have Chinese immigrants caused this level of terror (the level we see now in Europe) in any country?

But why is that? Surely is you are a British Muslim for example, you'd want to reject extremism? Wouldn't you want to appreciate western values that allow people to be who they want to be?
Or is it that when they see the enemy (non-muslims and homosexuals for example) in your face, you grow more angry towards them? Because the Quran isn't exactly the pinnacle of tolerance and acceptance...So when you see the amount of haraam in front of you, you feel as though you must take it into your own hands?

Islam certainly has a part to play in this. If you're interested in the cause of the terrorism the links to the Quran and how we should face the problems with out turning in to racist bigots I would recommend reading anything by Maajid Nawaz such as Islam and the future of tolerance.
Original post by skeptical_john
Islam certainly has a part to play in this. If you're interested in the cause of the terrorism the links to the Quran and how we should face the problems with out turning in to racist bigots I would recommend reading anything by Maajid Nawaz such as Islam and the future of tolerance.

Ah Maajid Nawaz is interesting, I actually did want to pick up that book as I like both Nawaz and Sam Harris. Thanks for reminding me! :biggrin: I've studied Islam (I was a muslim once :colondollar: ) so I know that there is definitely a link between terrorism and the Quran. I'm interested in what other think because time and time again I hear people (people who have probably never looked into the Quran or hadith) say that Islam is a religion of peace and that it was just "one bad apple".
Ah Maajid Nawaz is interesting, I actually did want to pick up that book as I like both Nawaz and Sam Harris. Thanks for reminding me! :biggrin: I've studied Islam (I was a muslim once :colondollar: ) so I know that there is definitely a link between terrorism and the Quran. I'm interested in what other think because time and time again I hear people (people who have probably never looked into the Quran or hadith) say that Islam is a religion of peace and that it was just "one bad apple".

That's great to speak to a fellow fan of Maajid. Yes many are saying Trump could win the whitehouse on the back of Obama/ Hilary unable to say the words Islamist terrorism to describe the attacks. Although Im sure they know Islam has a role to play they are too scared to mention it because they think there will be backlash. The problem there is Trump could walk into the whitehouse on the back of the left looking weak.
Original post by skeptical_john
That's great to speak to a fellow fan of Maajid. Yes many are saying Trump could win the whitehouse on the back of Obama/ Hilary unable to say the words Islamist terrorism to describe the attacks. Although Im sure they know Islam has a role to play they are too scared to mention it because they think there will be backlash. The problem there is Trump could walk into the whitehouse on the back of the left looking weak.

It's great to see a muslim acknowledging that there is an issue.
Obama and Hilary are too busy focusing on being politically correct whilst Trump just says it how it is. That is a good point, however I don't think that he'll simply waltz into the white house on account of the left looking weak. I think it is Trump specifically that people are voting for, I mean look at him. He is everything a typical politician isn't, he says whatever he wishes and also he says the things that most people are thinking but are too afraid to say.
I guess not a fair comparison, I guess Central African Republic would be a better country to compare to. Would immigrants from CAR cause the sort issues being caused by Syrian/Iraqi immigrants in Europe? Well, I actually don't know much about Malaysia/Malaysians to comment on that one.

But have Chinese immigrants caused this level of terror (the level we see now in Europe) in any country?

I've never come across anybody from Central African Republic either :tongue: I do think that there is an element of culture/religion. But I don't think that explains everything, and I think multiple factors are at play.

But why is that? Surely is you are a British Muslim for example, you'd want to reject extremism? Wouldn't you want to appreciate western values that allow people to be who they want to be?

Or is it that when they see the enemy (non-muslims and homosexuals for example) in your face, you grow more angry towards them? Because the Quran isn't exactly the pinnacle of tolerance and acceptance...So when you see the amount of haraam in front of you, you feel as though you must take it into your own hands?

In Indonesia they have a group of people called the Waria who are transgender, and they are extremely common. I think Indonesia is also home to the first LGBT organisation in Southeast Asia. So if this was true, we should be seeing a similar reaction there, but we don't.

Personally I think the issue is partly due to the infiltration of Salafi/Wahhabi Islam in the West. Here is an old post I made about it:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Yes majority of them are ISIS but the recent munich attacks are believed to be a muslim fanatic who had a dislike towards immigration, or so they say... :s-smilie:
Original post by The Epicurean
I've never come across anybody from Central African Republic either :tongue: I do think that there is an element of culture/religion. But I don't think that explains everything, and I think multiple factors are at play.

In Indonesia they have a group of people called the Waria who are transgender, and they are extremely common. I think Indonesia is also home to the first LGBT organisation in Southeast Asia. So if this was true, we should be seeing a similar reaction there, but we don't.

Personally I think the issue is partly due to the infiltration of Salafi/Wahhabi Islam in the West. Here is an old post I made about it:

The Austrian method would be to limit the funding of any mosques to a single one-off payment, and restricting continuous funding. So mosques can still be funded and built within the UK. The only difference between the current system here and the Austrian system is that we currently permit continuous funding. It is quite evident that we have an issue with radicalism and it is also the case that who funds a mosque or Islamic group has control over what it preaches. So I don't see why it should be controversial to limit the influence of foreign Salafi and Wahhabi groups and encouraging the growth of a more British Islam.

For example, many Western European nations with large Muslim populations are largely funded from abroad and if we observe the number of Muslims in each country and look at the number of Muslims from that country who have joined ISIS, we get some rather astonishing figures.

France
1,200 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 5 million
240 ISIS members per million Muslims in France

Belgium
440 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 660,000
667 ISIS members per million Muslims in Belgium

Indonesia
500 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 205 million
2.4 ISIS members per million Muslims in Indonesia

India
18 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 172 million
0.1 ISIS members per million Muslims in India

I think everyone will agree that these figures here are astounding. I think the major difference is that countries like India and Indonesia already have well developed national Islamic organisations and groups and so there is less room or need for foreign funding and thus Salafi groups struggle more to gain a foothold. For example, the Indonesian Islamic organisation Nahdlatul Ulama has some 40 million members. The same is not true in Western nations like France, Belgium and the UK, hence our need to take action against such foreign funding.

Ahh, I never really thought of that. But it is interesting to see that the attacks in France and Germany haven't happened in the UK (yet). I think you should definitely take your idea to government perhaps, that is if they're not afraid of possible offence to muslims. Something should definitely be done before it's too late.
Reply 15

Totally Yes, in my opinion
Reply 16
General whack jobs who got lucky [so to speak] in their aims.
Reply 17
Its not really the book quran but the 900 000 000 000 stupid muslim readers that make the religion Islam have a bad name....
Reply 18

Yes, of course. It is a to great coincide that all terrorist attack and violent attack are comiteed by muslims, regardless whether they are refugees or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending