The Student Room Group

Does your national insurance number check your age?

So after looking around for ages for a job I managed to get one in a restaurant however being 17 and having to be 18 for the job I said I was 18. After doing the trial the manager thought I did well and offfered me the job handing me a HM Revenue & Customs starter checklist form to fill out with such details needed such as National Insurance number, D.O.B etc. I was wondering If i enter my date of birth to say im 18 and my actual national insurance number would it check my age?
Reply 1
No, but if and when he finds out you're lying you'll be fired.

There's also the issue of you working in a place with licencing laws and being in flagrant disregard of them which, if found out, could earn both you and your employer a massive fine.
Original post by Leon Wilson
So after looking around for ages for a job I managed to get one in a restaurant however being 17 and having to be 18 for the job I said I was 18. After doing the trial the manager thought I did well and offfered me the job handing me a HM Revenue & Customs starter checklist form to fill out with such details needed such as National Insurance number, D.O.B etc. I was wondering If i enter my date of birth to say im 18 and my actual national insurance number would it check my age?

First of all that's fraud, secondly hmrc could flag up that it didn't match what they have so they could probably contact your employer or worse.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
No, but if and when he finds out you're lying you'll be fired.

There's also the issue of you working in a place with licencing laws and being in flagrant disregard of them which, if found out, could earn both you and your employer a massive fine.

Thanks for the reply:smile:
Ah okay well yeah I know if he finds out I will be fired. But the national insurance number then doesnt check your age basically? I will be working in a resturant but as a waiter not behind the bar so im unsure if the licencing laws still apply?
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
First of all that's fraud, secondly hmrc could flag up that it didn't match what they have so they could probably contact your employer or worse.

So you think I will be caught out?
So you think I will be caught out?

Yes, I m surprised they ve not asked you for id as your proof to work
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
Yes, I m surprised they ve not asked you for id as your proof to work

Doesnt the national insurance number prove you can work however?
Reply 7
Thanks for the reply:smile:
Ah okay well yeah I know if he finds out I will be fired. But the national insurance number then doesnt check your age basically? I will be working in a resturant but as a waiter not behind the bar so im unsure if the licencing laws still apply?

You'll be serving alcohol.

Tell him your age. You'll be found out anyway.
i'm also asking , if i give an employer my ni number , can they use that to find out any information about me ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending