The Student Room Group

GCSE study/sixth form and college aims

Will be in year 11 come September!*sarcastic cheer*
I don't have any study buddies and thought I'd create this thread to hear about other people's ambitions in the near future .Would love to discuss with academic pupils although all contributions welcome.Any takers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Username2016
I don't have any study buddies and thought I'd create this thread to hear about other people's ambitions in the near future .Would love to discuss with academic pupils although all contributions welcome.Any takers?

Grades wise I'm aiming for AAA-AAA* this year, tho how realistic that is I don't know.:smile: How about yourself?
Original post by HopelessMedic
Grades wise I'm aiming for AAA-AAA* this year, tho how realistic that is I don't know.:smile: How about yourself?

Aiming for all A*'s so I guess we both live in a crazy world :smile: I feel the only subject that I'm feeling pressure towards is maths.The 9-1 format slightly threw me off.Any subjects you hate/love?
Aiming for all A*'s so I guess we both live in a crazy world :smile: I feel the only subject that I'm feeling pressure towards is maths.The 9-1 format slightly threw me off.Any subjects you hate/love?

Always enjoyed maths/sciences whereas anything creative I usually struggled with. Being able to finally stop studying English was one of the best things about sixth form for me:smile:
Reply 4

I'm hoping for A-A*s which is going to be one hell of a challenge. I'm going to have quite a headache in Y11 with Computing, I still haven't sorted out A452 and A453 properly :frown:, blames teacher.
Original post by JTran38
I'm hoping for A-A*s which is going to be one hell of a challenge. I'm going to have quite a headache in Y11 with Computing, I still haven't sorted out A452 and A453 properly :frown:, blames teacher.

All but one of my current teachers are leaving so year 11 is going to be a real test of my independence. Should be a fully qualified teacher by the end lol.

Hoping for all A*s, apart from maybe French, which I'd be happy with a A, or a B at very worst. I wouldn't even be suprised if I completely failed my listening/reading! At sixth form, I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, and maybe some philosophy subject or IT as my "comfortable" A at AS. The sky is the limit for what I can do at A-Level, obviously the highest possible. Overall, I'm planning to study CompSci at an RG uni/oxbridge. I'll then see where that'll take me, there's quite a wide variety of jobs looking for a CompSci degree! I'm keeping a log here.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is so cute. I have zero exams next year but im learning German and Yoruba just for fun I suppose.
Reply 8
All but one of my current teachers are leaving so year 11 is going to be a real test of my independence. Should be a fully qualified teacher by the end lol.

Feel sorry for you if those who left were your favourite teachers. My favourite English teacher has left and it has been rumoured he'll take a HoD job at another school. Many more has left like my HoY etc. Y11 is going to be tough and I hate exams, so lets see how I'll cope.
Original post by _gcx
Hoping for all A*s, apart from maybe French, which I'd be happy with a A, or a B at very worst. I wouldn't even be suprised if I completely failed my listening/reading! At sixth form, I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, and maybe some philosophy subject or IT as my "comfortable" A at AS. The sky is the limit for what I can do at A-Level, obviously the highest possible. Overall, I'm planning to study CompSci at an RG uni/oxbridge. I'll then see where that'll take me, there's quite a wide variety of jobs looking for a CompSci degree! I'm keeping a log here.

I hope you get you dream grades:wink: at Sixth form I'm taking Triple science and Maths but I'm just happy that I'm coming to the end of my exploration of English.A--levels are notorious for difficulty but I'm exited for detailed learning.Personally,I wan't to do Medicine at Cambridge.
Reply 10
I've completed my GCSEs as of last month and results day is next month. I aim to study Biology and Chemistry later this year at sixth form, and progress into medicine at Uni. As for study partners, they're only good if they're challenging you. Never do it with friends! I used to do it with people better than me in my classes, so it's like a competition which I can learn from (if that makes sense). Also, I reccomend you get all your notes done in lessons, or during that same day. Towards the actual GCSEs you don't want to still be writing notes or revision cards for that matter. 2 weeks prior to your exam(s) you should be doing endless ammount of past papers (and writing out their corrections) becuase honestly, they are the most helpful revision resource (not only in my opinion, but statistically). I'd also reccomend Letts revision books in a week. They come in all different subjects and give you the main topic information in a week! Anyway, good luck this coming year! Stay calm and enjoy being a year 11! If you ever need any help feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by JTran38
Feel sorry for you if those who left were your favourite teachers. My favourite English teacher has left and it has been rumoured he'll take a HoD job at another school. Many more has left like my HoY etc. Y11 is going to be tough and I hate exams, so lets see how I'll cope.

Don't worry we're all in this together, at least if we die trying to get a million A*s...They'll lower the grade boundaries for 2018!
Original post by ceilele
I've completed my GCSEs as of last month and results day is next month. I aim to study Biology and Chemistry later this year at sixth form, and progress into medicine at Uni. As for study partners, they're only good if they're challenging you. Never do it with friends! I used to do it with people better than me in my classes, so it's like a competition which I can learn from (if that makes sense). Also, I reccomend you get all your notes done in lessons, or during that same day. Towards the actual GCSEs you don't want to still be writing notes or revision cards for that matter. 2 weeks prior to your exam(s) you should be doing endless ammount of past papers (and writing out their corrections) becuase honestly, they are the most helpful revision resource (not only in my opinion, but statistically). I'd also reccomend Letts revision books in a week. They come in all different subjects and give you the main topic information in a week! Anyway, good luck this coming year! Stay calm and enjoy being a year 11! If you ever need any help feel free to message me :smile:

Thank you for the advice :smile:I hope you're happy with your results and I wish you luck for the future!
Original post by ScienceFantatic
This is so cute. I have zero exams next year but im learning German and Yoruba just for fun I suppose.

I envy your carefree attitude :smile:.How is it learning 2 new languages?

Hey, I've just finished my GCSEs this year too. I'd love to discuss you academic career :smile: If you will have me?
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey, I've just finished my GCSEs this year too. I'd love to discuss you academic career :smile: If you will have me?

Sure we can discuss :smile:.Although I've yet to do my GCSEs and will take them in 2017. How did you think you did?Any tough exams?
I envy your carefree attitude :smile:.How is it learning 2 new languages?

Haha. Well. It's ok so far. Mostly because I did German at GCSE but I'm not continuing it at A-level but I would still like to be fluent.

Yoruba is a lot more difficult in terms of learning vocab as there is no link at all to English :/

How are you feeling about going into year 11?
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Haha. Well. It's ok so far. Mostly because I did German at GCSE but I'm not continuing it at A-level but I would still like to be fluent.

Yoruba is a lot more difficult in terms of learning vocab as there is no link at all to English :/

How are you feeling about going into year 11?

I have mixed feelings when it comes to year 11.This is due to the fact - I feel this is the year I will feel the most pressure to achieve.I feel as an academic,teachers say the sky's the limit but I think I'm slightly afraid to discover my limits.On the other hand I'm excited to leave school, will miss people but by then we've spent 5 years together lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sure we can discuss :smile:.Although I've yet to do my GCSEs and will take them in 2017. How did you think you did?Any tough exams?

I think they were alright although I'm not too sure about German listening and the Science exams but hopefully that's just me being over critical.

Which subjects do you like/dislike? :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword

I think they were alright although I'm not too sure about German listening and the Science exams but hopefully that's just me being over critical.

Which subjects do you like/dislike? :smile:

I like the sciences and maths but don't really enjoy English,I think I prefer subjects with defined answers,although the ambiguous aspect of English makes it interesting it irritates me.Are you going to a Sixth form?

Quick Reply

Latest