The Student Room Group

Very strange job interview - am I going to get kidnapped? (serious question) HELP

Scroll to see replies

It's not that strange. For jobs that have odd hours strangely timed interviews aren't that weird. When I worked for 111 I had a 10-midnight interview and assessment for example. Just make sure someone drops you off and sees you safe.
Original post by ceilele
Quite frankly I wouldn't go, especially if they cannot be found online. However, if you really wish to then I'd advise you take someone with you ( a friend or family member ) to be in the same place or around that area, just in case. Also if you have an iPhone, make sure your mobile data roaming is turned on. That way if you do end up being lost or kidnapped, you can be tracked down. But of course that is the extreme case! I'm sure you'll be okay so try stay calm and I wish you the best of luck. If you want further advice, you could call childline or speak to an adult in your life ( again, family or friend ).

Thank you but what?? I am over 18 haha
Reply 22
Original post by arcenciel21
Thank you but what?? I am over 18 haha

ah okay, even so- having someone there as a witness and generally getting advice from someone older (with hopefully more experience) wouldn't hurt :smile:
Right....

I just got a call from a woman about a part time cleaning job I applied to a few hours ago. She offered me a job interview for tomorrow.... AT 5AM IN THE MORNING!!!!!! She was like 'we'll take a walk around a bulding and talk about it' She had a foreign accent. I was like OK.... so then she said she will text me the address. So she texts me the address and it's just a regular address in the city centre.

However I feel extremely weird, why would she ask me to meet her at 5 in the morning?

The company is called 'Solo Service Group' and this is the job ad

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=30327536&JobTitle=Cleaning+Operative-+Norwich&m=jobexpired&pp=25&where=Norwich%2c+Norfolk%2c+England&sort=rv.dt.di&rad=2&rad_units=miles&re=3&pg=20&AVSDM=2016-07-20T11%3a52%3a00-05%3a00

I did a google search and cant find an address for a branch of this company in my city and this job ad has been posted for years in other UK cities

Am I overreacting? Why would someone conduct a job interview at 5 AM?

It sounds like a **** job anyway, you can't be that desperate to work. Only immigrants that have no choice over what jobs to take do those jobs and so early in the morning, no offence to cleaners because they do work hard for **** pay but most people i met who do cleaning only do it because they have no confidence in doing anything else and noone tells them they can apply for Traine recruitment, Estate Agent jobs because no experience is needed for those jobs or if they did voluntary work in Office Admin or Reception they can get those jobs afterwards once they gained experience.
Tell her you can't make it and can you meet somewhere else at a reasonable time.
Who the hell goes to interviews st 5am ?

If your that wortied and think it's dodgy give the police the address just incase or bring a friend, relative to the interview, they can wait outside for you.
But in the meantime try to get a better job or if you have to do cleaning apply for jobs like catering and cinema's those are fun jobs and you don't need any experience.

www.foxtons.co.uk
click on about foxtons or careers at foxtons
Apply for Foxton's Estate Agents jobs they are in every different area.
Look up Foxton's on google, their website shows different jobs you can do and you don't need any experience and they want all types of people. They give people free cars when they work with them if they can drive and free holidays abroad.
I applied for it even though i have zero confidence or knowledge but i just took a chance by applying for it and they gave me a telephone interview then called again a week later to offer me a second interview and i don't have a degree or any experience and when i applied i thought i'd have no chance of getting an interview or even a reply back but because i was offered a place at college to do a music course i'm not sure whether to do it.
I applied for mortgage advisor job but they have just admin jobs too and other roles.

Also apply for Trainee Recruitment jobs on Reed website. You don't need experience for those jobs either
Apply online with www.studentjobs.co.uk

And always go to lots of different employment agencies like Reed on your local high street and other agencies in further areas they can get you jobs quicker and much better jobs than cleaning.

I used to work in Asda warehouse as a picker at 5am but i had to leave home at
4am. It was horrible having to get up so early and it was scary at night. I was going to choose to work at 3am so i'm glad i changed it to 5am but it was really depressing sitting on a bus watching other people coming home from a nightclub.
I was envious and always wished it was me coming back from a club not on my way to work.
If your going to do a cleaning job choose one with normal hours unless you have a car then it's ok but please go to an agency on your high street they will help you get a better job or cleaning if you don't mind doing that.
Original post by Judge Judy
It sounds like a **** job anyway, you can't be that desperate to work. Only immigrants that have no choice over what jobs to take do those jobs and so early in the morning, no offence to cleaners because they do work hard for **** pay but most people i met who do cleaning only do it because they have no confidence in doing anything else and noone tells them they can apply for Traine recruitment, Estate Agent jobs because no experience is needed for those jobs or if they did voluntary work in Office Admin or Reception they can get those jobs afterwards once they gained experience.
Tell her you can't make it and can you meet somewhere else at a reasonable time.
Who the hell goes to interviews st 5am ?

If your that wortied and think it's dodgy give the police the address just incase or bring a friend, relative to the interview, they can wait outside for you.
But in the meantime try to get a better job or if you have to do cleaning apply for jobs like catering and cinema's those are fun jobs and you don't need any experience.

www.foxtons.co.uk
click on about foxtons or careers at foxtons
Apply for Foxton's Estate Agents jobs they are in every different area.
Look up Foxton's on google, their website shows different jobs you can do and you don't need any experience and they want all types of people. They give people free cars when they work with them if they can drive and free holidays abroad.
I applied for it even though i have zero confidence or knowledge but i just took a chance by applying for it and they gave me a telephone interview then called again a week later to offer me a second interview and i don't have a degree or any experience and when i applied i thought i'd have no chance of getting an interview or even a reply back but because i was offered a place at college to do a music course i'm not sure whether to do it.
I applied for mortgage advisor job but they have just admin jobs too and other roles.

Also apply for Trainee Recruitment jobs on Reed website. You don't need experience for those jobs either
Apply online with www.studentjobs.co.uk

And always go to lots of different employment agencies like Reed on your local high street and other agencies in further areas they can get you jobs quicker and much better jobs than cleaning.

I used to work in Asda warehouse as a picker at 5am but i had to leave home at
4am. It was horrible having to get up so early and it was scary at night. I was going to choose to work at 3am so i'm glad i changed it to 5am but it was really depressing sitting on a bus watching other people coming home from a nightclub.
I was envious and always wished it was me coming back from a club not on my way to work.
If your going to do a cleaning job choose one with normal hours unless you have a car then it's ok but please go to an agency on your high street they will help you get a better job or cleaning if you don't mind doing that.

Lmao how much do you get paid to come up with this ********?
At least cleaning is a useful job, recruitment really isn't. Now THAT is a job for someone who can't get anything better

Also, who are you to tell me I 'cannot be that desperate for a job'? You don't know anything about my situation. I already have a job waitressing in a restaurant, I am just looking for a part time job early in the morning just for the summer to supplement my income. I am also going to university in September so I don't need to get into ******** jobs like 'trainee recruitment' which requires no experience and takes anyone they can get.

Oh, and I am also an immigrant and I will have a better career than you do. Sorry. :s-smilie:
Although some of what she said was unnecessary, her advice wasn't bad? At least she tried to help. No need to be rude to someone who gives you the advise you ask for.
Hire a bodyguard.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by forbiddenforest
Hey yea tell someone where you're going and if possible turn your phone sound recorder on once you arrive. Sorry. Just being cautious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I agree, maybe have someone on the other end of the phone so they can hear what is going on, or have your 3G turned on so your phone can be tracked - find my iPhone is a lifesaver if you have an iPhone!
So I didn't get kidnapped.

However she kind of ****ed me over, she texted me at 4:50 telling me she will only be here a 6!! So I literally sat down on a bench in the middle of the empty city centre and I almost fell asleep, I didn't sleep AT ALL last night because I knew I had to be up early so my mind couldn't switch off. She was obviously testing me yesterday when she said 5, to see if I am willing to wake up early for this job, but yesterday on the phone she said it's 7-9am. Well this morning she's telling me it's actualy 6-7:30 :colonhash: Oh and I am not getting paid as much as it said in the advert either....

So it's a 6 am start, 6 days a week, 1.5 hours every day.... and get this.... I ONLY GET PAID FOUR-WEEKLY. YES. SERIOUSLY.

The job is really easy though, it's in a very nice office and I just have to wipe the desks and clean windows and ****.

However I did not get a contract, even though I signed a contract, gave my bank details, the payroll form etc... so I do have a contract but she didn't give me a copy and I am starting tomorrow and she won't give it to me tomorrow because she won't be there, I will be all alone. So what is going on :colonhash:
Original post by ExoIceCream99
Although some of what she said was unnecessary, her advice wasn't bad? At least she tried to help. No need to be rude to someone who gives you the advise you ask for.

Thanks for that because i was not trying to be rude but just trying to help plus it is my opinion and i was not putting down immigrants or people who do cleaning jobs i was just trying to point out that some people do it because they think it's the only thing they are good at and can't get anything else and a lot of people don't know about Trainee Recruitment and Estate Agents jobs and going to an agency to get a job but she took it the wrong way and just wanted to throw unnecessary insults.
Reply 30

However she kind of ****ed me over, she texted me at 4:50 telling me she will only be here a 6!! So I literally sat down on a bench in the middle of the empty city centre and I almost fell asleep, I didn't sleep AT ALL last night because I knew I had to be up early so my mind couldn't switch off. She was obviously testing me yesterday when she said 5, to see if I am willing to wake up early for this job, but yesterday on the phone she said it's 7-9am. Well this morning she's telling me it's actualy 6-7:30 :colonhash: Oh and I am not getting paid as much as it said in the advert either....

So it's a 6 am start, 6 days a week, 1.5 hours every day.... and get this.... I ONLY GET PAID FOUR-WEEKLY. YES. SERIOUSLY.

The job is really easy though, it's in a very nice office and I just have to wipe the desks and clean windows and ****.

However I did not get a contract, even though I signed a contract, gave my bank details, the payroll form etc... so I do have a contract but she didn't give me a copy and I am starting tomorrow and she won't give it to me tomorrow because she won't be there, I will be all alone. So what is going on :colonhash:

Ah dude chillax it's only a cleaning job, I did one over the summer holidays so I could get extra pocket money all I had to do was vacuum the building then didn't show up when my college started in September
Lmao how much do you get paid to come up with this ********?
At least cleaning is a useful job, recruitment really isn't. Now THAT is a job for someone who can't get anything better

Also, who are you to tell me I 'cannot be that desperate for a job'? You don't know anything about my situation. I already have a job waitressing in a restaurant, I am just looking for a part time job early in the morning just for the summer to supplement my income. I am also going to university in September so I don't need to get into ******** jobs like 'trainee recruitment' which requires no experience and takes anyone they can get.

Oh, and I am also an immigrant and I will have a better career than you do. Sorry. :s-smilie:

Your really nasty and up yourself because i would never tell someone i will have a better career than them as if you think you are better than anyone else and if that was true you would not be working as a cleaner or waitress so what your telling me makes no sense at all plus when i give people info on other jobs or where to look for them it's for anyone reading the thread if they did not know about it as i learn a lot about stuff or jobs i have never heard of before that someone else mentions on a thread. Even if i made a mistake by what i wrote that came off as putting down immigrants or cleaning jobs it was about trying to help someone else by giving them as much information that i knew about because i have met so many people that did not have confidence in themselves to do other jobs because they never knew about it and i don't need to know about your situation i was just telling you about other jobs.

Oh and At least Recruitment is a useful job too that helps people like yourself desperate for work to find jobs including cleaning jobs
Not everyone likes the idea of working in recuitment or estate agents but at least they pay good money, i ever said anyone had to do it, i'm just giving them information
I find it weird that anyone prefers low paid, zero hour contract jobs rather than higher paid jobs so when i tell other people who tell me they are desperate for a job and can't get anything and refuse to do cleaning jobs because they think it is above them they still won't take a chance and sign up with an employment agency or apply for recruitment, etc but still continue to complain so i just wish years ago someone had told me about those type of jobs and to go to never give up on agencies that's why i try to tell as many people as possible so obviously i don't get paid to come up with this ****.

And even if someone is in uni they don't always know what career to go into when they leave or they end up having to do low paid jobs they don't want to do like cleaning, waitress, etc because they could not get the job they really wanted and because they did not bother or know about the other jobs or agencies i mentioned
It amazes me how many people go to uni and after uni ends, spend thousands of pounds paying back the loan but prefer to take cleaning, waitress, supermarket jobs instead of going to an agency to get a higher paid job but it doesn't have to be any of the jobs i mentioned but agencies take away the hard work of endlesssj ob searching for people.

What's the point of going to uni just so you can work as a cleaner afterwards and i don't mean doing low paid jobs inbetween uni to make ends meet.
I have met so many people who finished uni who end up in these low paid jobs because they could not get any other job but that's because no one told them about employment agencies or they stopped going to them because they did not like them but they don't realise that they should sign up with lots of different agencies if one had not helped them to get a job and not give up on agencies.

I have a friend who refuses to do cleaning or any high paid job i suggest because she says she has no confidence to do high paid jobs, and she won't go back to college to get better qualifications. When she has been to only one agency that did not get her a job she gave up and did not try other agencies for years but a month ago she got a full time job through an agency for 2 weeks emptying envelopes for £200 a week then it ended as there was no more work then went back to the job centre instead of trying lots of other different agencies first which i sent her a long list of agencies online by email to try but she could'nt be bothered, she would rather go back to the job centre but her reason to go to the agency to empty envelopes in the first place was only because she was fed up of the job centre sending her on courses for every retail job she did not really want either but before she could apply for every retail job she has to attend 2 or 3 week full time courses but every year it has been her new years resolution to get a job or she says she is desperate to get a job. She does not have a degree but people i have met who have got degrees act exactly as she does and have no common sense to try different jobs like recruitment even if it's not what they want to do and can still look for other jobs while in recruitment, etc but they prefer to take easy, low paid jobs like yourself.

I'm sure when you leave uni your still going to be in a cleaning/waitressing job but there's nothing wrong with that because you like doing those jobs rather than recruitment, etc and you consider those a *****er job than cleaning.

Your complaining you don't need to take **** jobs that requires no experience and takes anyone they can get but is'nt that what cleaning jobs do too but for much lower pay ?

You have a right to a written contract within 2 months. Just ask her for one.
Make a note of what they keu details were .
Sounds very changeable. Most people get paid monthly.

Is this your first job?
Your really nasty and up yourself because i would never tell someone i will have a better career than them as if you think you are better than anyone else and if that was true you would not be working as a cleaner or waitress so what your telling me makes no sense at all plus when i give people info on other jobs or where to look for them it's for anyone reading the thread if they did not know about it as i learn a lot about stuff or jobs i have never heard of before that someone else mentions on a thread. Even if i made a mistake by what i wrote that came off as putting down immigrants or cleaning jobs it was about trying to help someone else by giving them as much information that i knew about because i have met so many people that did not have confidence in themselves to do other jobs because they never knew about it and i don't need to know about your situation i was just telling you about other jobs.

Oh and At least Recruitment is a useful job too that helps people like yourself desperate for work to find jobs including cleaning jobs
Not everyone likes the idea of working in recuitment or estate agents but at least they pay good money, i ever said anyone had to do it, i'm just giving them information
I find it weird that anyone prefers low paid, zero hour contract jobs rather than higher paid jobs so when i tell other people who tell me they are desperate for a job and can't get anything and refuse to do cleaning jobs because they think it is above them they still won't take a chance and sign up with an employment agency or apply for recruitment, etc but still continue to complain so i just wish years ago someone had told me about those type of jobs and to go to never give up on agencies that's why i try to tell as many people as possible so obviously i don't get paid to come up with this ****.

And even if someone is in uni they don't always know what career to go into when they leave or they end up having to do low paid jobs they don't want to do like cleaning, waitress, etc because they could not get the job they really wanted and because they did not bother or know about the other jobs or agencies i mentioned
It amazes me how many people go to uni and after uni ends, spend thousands of pounds paying back the loan but prefer to take cleaning, waitress, supermarket jobs instead of going to an agency to get a higher paid job but it doesn't have to be any of the jobs i mentioned but agencies take away the hard work of endlesssj ob searching for people.

What's the point of going to uni just so you can work as a cleaner afterwards and i don't mean doing low paid jobs inbetween uni to make ends meet.
I have met so many people who finished uni who end up in these low paid jobs because they could not get any other job but that's because no one told them about employment agencies or they stopped going to them because they did not like them but they don't realise that they should sign up with lots of different agencies if one had not helped them to get a job and not give up on agencies.

I have a friend who refuses to do cleaning or any high paid job i suggest because she says she has no confidence to do high paid jobs, and she won't go back to college to get better qualifications. When she has been to only one agency that did not get her a job she gave up and did not try other agencies for years but a month ago she got a full time job through an agency for 2 weeks emptying envelopes for £200 a week then it ended as there was no more work then went back to the job centre instead of trying lots of other different agencies first which i sent her a long list of agencies online by email to try but she could'nt be bothered, she would rather go back to the job centre but her reason to go to the agency to empty envelopes in the first place was only because she was fed up of the job centre sending her on courses for every retail job she did not really want either but before she could apply for every retail job she has to attend 2 or 3 week full time courses but every year it has been her new years resolution to get a job or she says she is desperate to get a job. She does not have a degree but people i have met who have got degrees act exactly as she does and have no common sense to try different jobs like recruitment even if it's not what they want to do and can still look for other jobs while in recruitment, etc but they prefer to take easy, low paid jobs like yourself.

I'm sure when you leave uni your still going to be in a cleaning/waitressing job but there's nothing wrong with that because you like doing those jobs rather than recruitment, etc and you consider those a *****er job than cleaning.

Your complaining you don't need to take **** jobs that requires no experience and takes anyone they can get but is'nt that what cleaning jobs do too but for much lower pay ?

Lol do you seriously think I am going to read this essay? Stop derailing my thread, thanks
Original post by 999tigger
You have a right to a written contract within 2 months. Just ask her for one.
Make a note of what they keu details were .
Sounds very changeable. Most people get paid monthly.

Is this your first job?

It's not my first job, I've worked low level jobs like this and I've always gotten paid weekly or biweekly
most places pay on a monthly basis like I work for a supermarket and I get paid monthly so there's nothing odd about that. Why not try and get another job so you could work like during the day as well to get more money ... how much is this cleaning job paying you ?
Lol do you seriously think I am going to read this essay? Stop derailing my thread, thanks

Lol do you seriously think i am going to read this ?
Stop derailing your own thread thanks
Lol do you seriously think i am going to read this ?
Stop derailing your own thread thanks

Hahaha you didn't even have a comeback lmaooo

Monthly pay is the norm? Why is that such a cause of outrage for you? :tongue:
Original post by Twinpeaks
Monthly pay is the norm? Why is that such a cause of outrage for you? :tongue:

I understand that monthly pay is the norm for most jobs, but I have never had a job before which only paid you monthly so it's weird.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending