The Student Room Group

I've left Islam, what next?

So I came to a long and rational decision that Islam is not for me. I came out to my family a few months back and everything is settling down now. Though it was big news and a lot of people were calling me.

Anyone else in the same position?

Scroll to see replies

live a normal life
Original post by exmuslim105
So I came to a long and rational decision that Islam is not for me. I came out to my family a few months back and everything is settling down now. Though it was big news and a lot of people were calling me.

Although I can't help you. How do you feel at the moment?
Reply 3
Original post by Raizelcadres
Although I can't help you. How do you feel at the moment?

Completely liberated. They try to make you feel guilty by telling you what you are doing is wrong and that deservedly, you'd go to hell. However, I've overcome that now.
Completely liberated. They try to make you feel guilty by telling you what you are doing is wrong and that deservedly, you'd go to hell. However, I've overcome that now.

As long as you are happy thats all that matters. Best of luck
Reply 5
Original post by Raizelcadres
As long as you are happy thats all that matters. Best of luck

Yes true, thanks

Yeerrrrppp! Ex-muzzie here. :ahee:

Are you okay with your family? Did you have to move out or anything? Is everything else okay?

I guess you just continue with your life and find something else to fill the gap that Islam filled.

You can message me if you ever want to talk about ex-muslim related things (or anything else for that matter) :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Yeerrrrppp! Ex-muzzie here. :ahee:

Are you okay with your family? Did you have to move out or anything? Is everything else okay?

I guess you just continue with your life and find something else to fill the gap that Islam filled.

Yes, with family things are fine. I already live by myself as I'm financially stable and in university. I'm very open to everyone now, both friends and family about my ex-Muslim status. My family aren't actually that religious. I mean they weren't happy upon hearing and I got a few concerning phonecalls, but that was it. It hasn't been discussed since.

And what gap? It really didn't fill any gap for me. I am now more inclined to Buddhist philosophy and I am looking into Sikh philosophy too. Those two religions seem much more adaptable and peaceful IMO.

Do you still believe in God?
Reply 9
Original post by Optimum_
Do you still believe in God?

Yes, but I am more inclined to pantheism now.
Yes, with family things are fine. I already live by myself as I'm financially stable and in university. I'm very open to everyone now, both friends and family about my ex-Muslim status. My family aren't actually that religious. I mean they weren't happy upon hearing and I got a few concerning phonecalls, but that was it. It hasn't been discussed since.

And what gap? It really didn't fill any gap for me. I am now more inclined to Buddhist philosophy and I am looking into Sikh philosophy too. Those two religions seem much more adaptable and peaceful IMO.

Ohh well that's good.

Like the gap...I don't know how to explain it. :cry: Did you ever believe in Islam, genuinely?
I guess you've already filled it, with buddhist philosophy (maybe even philosophy in general??)
I've left Islam, what next?
you join the ex-Muslim society (ii) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3156455

Then, you're done
Reply 12
Ohh well that's good.

Like the gap...I don't know how to explain it. :cry: Did you ever believe in Islam, genuinely?
I guess you've already filled it, with buddhist philosophy (maybe even philosophy in general??)

Yes I did believe it. I just then looked into other philosophies, and I don't see why it's 'the one'. I'm also from a 99.9% non-Muslim village, and I found I was much more practicing there then when I moved to university which has a large Muslim population. The Muslim community really pissed me off. Really judgemental and messed up.
Doesn't islam have an apostasy rule, that you get executed, if you leave the religion?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by PimpNamedSlikbak
Doesn't islam have an apostasy rule, that you get executed, if you leave the religion?

Yes it does. Well it is disputed. Some people say it's for apostasy and blasphemy, others say just for apostasy. Anyway thank **** I live in the UK and not in an Islamic country.
Yes I did believe it. I just then looked into other philosophies, and I don't see why it's 'the one'. I'm also from a 99.9% non-Muslim village, and I found I was much more practicing there then when I moved to university which has a large Muslim population. The Muslim community really pissed me off. Really judgemental and messed up.

Tell me about it! The amount of *****ery, if you wear jeans plus a headscarf, the looks.... :colonhash:

Ah gotcha. So if you did believe it then it occupied a sort of space...didn't it like give you hope? Maybe something to believe in? You know, like it gave you some sort of reason and purpose....? And I guess for me, when I left Islam I was confused, because I didn't know how to fill this gap...Till I found Nietzsche. :colondollar:
Celebratory bacon butty and a pint?
Reply 17
Tell me about it! The amount of *****ery, if you wear jeans plus a headscarf, the looks.... :colonhash:

Ah gotcha. So if you did believe it then it occupied a sort of space...didn't it like give you hope? Maybe something to believe in? You know, like it gave you some sort of reason and purpose....? And I guess for me, when I left Islam I was confused, because I didn't know how to fill this gap...Till I found Nietzsche. :colondollar:

It did give me a sense of false hope, until I denied being in denial that I don't believe in this anymore, and that I need to explore further. I was simply being a Muslim and practicing because my parents are from that geographical reigon. My family is from India. There are a lot of both Hindus and Muslims. If I was from a HIndu family, I would be following that, and the concept didn't make sense.

I am still exploring my purpose and as I said I am very attracted to Buddhist and Sikh philosophy.

Yep! I left Islam but haven't told my parents nor do I ever plan on telling them. My family is quite religious so in order to keep the peace, I live a double life.
It's great that everything's settled with your family! Hope everything goes well for you in the future.
Reply 19
Original post by Alima khan
Yep! I left Islam but haven't told my parents nor do I ever plan on telling them. My family is quite religious so in order to keep the peace, I live a double life.
It's great that everything's settled with your family! Hope everything goes well for you in the future.

Even if my parents were religious, I would still come out. I prefer the hedonistic approach. I used to suffer from anxiety, and ever since I stopped caring about this ****, the anxiety subsided.

That's why I'm so open to everyone about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending