The Student Room Group

Anyone else disgustingly ambitious?

A lot of my friends and family get a little glassy-eyed when I talk about my future plans.
I kind of want to conquer the world and I don't see why I shouldn't try my hand at anything I fancy. Virtually everyone in my family is a workaholic and I'm no different. In my view, life is too short to not grab by the balls.

I just want to stand back one day and know I've "made it". So I was wondering, at what point will everyone else consider retiring? Where does your ambition cut off?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm really ambitious, and I honestly know that I can achieve my goals with hard work. I'm planning on going into the computer science field in the future, and most likely will aim to develop a groundbreaking app/start a business. Obviously it's very ambitious but I know I'm capable, and I'm sure you are too :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AmarRPM
I'm really ambitious, and I honestly know that I can achieve my goals with hard work. I'm planning on going into the computer science field in the future, and most likely will aim to develop a groundbreaking app/start a business. Obviously it's very ambitious but I know I'm capable, and I'm sure you are too :smile:

The way I see it is that you can get anything you're willing to work for. Those with a good work ethic will always thrive.
Thank you, good luck in everything you do!
Original post by Hamo2509
A lot of my friends and family get a little glassy-eyed when I talk about my future plans.
I kind of want to conquer the world and I don't see why I shouldn't try my hand at anything I fancy. Virtually everyone in my family is a workaholic and I'm no different. In my view, life is too short to not grab by the balls.

I just want to stand back one day and know I've "made it". So I was wondering, at what point will everyone else consider retiring? Where does your ambition cut off?

You never stop. Get to the top and stay at top, becoming immortalised forever while you're at it.
Reply 4
Original post by Marshall Taylor
You never stop. Get to the top and stay at top, becoming immortalised forever while you're at it.

I love that
I love that

We're a rare breed.
Yes. I have 2 degrees and I'm working towards my 3rd. Something I've learned though - none of it matters. Not honours, titles, money, possessions, degrees.

I've witnessed people who had everything - particularly wealth and reputation - and I've seen how little it matters if they lose one thing...health. That puts it all into perspective. Kindness is the only thing that matters, ultimately. It's the only thing worth being remembered for...not for your bank balance or degrees - they don't leave a lasting positive impression on people or the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Marshall Taylor
We're a rare breed.

That's true. I'd take this over being easily satisfied any day.
My mum taught me from a young age to never reach a goal without setting another one.
Reply 8
Original post by KatieBlogger
Yes. I have 2 degrees and I'm working towards my 3rd. Something I've learned though - none of it matters. Not honours, titles, money, possessions, degrees.

I've witnessed people who had everything - particularly wealth and reputation - and I've seen how little it matters if they lose one thing...health. That puts it all into perspective. Kindness is the only thing that matters, ultimately. It's the only thing worth being remembered for...not for your bank balance or degrees - they don't leave a lasting positive impression on people or the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true. I had this conversation with my aunt and uncle when the former was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I was told 'money doesn't matter'.
However, they do have the money to pay for the very best private healthcare, so I guess it does in the end.
I'm so disappointed with this thread. It's so cute and inspiring. You promised disgusting ambition. Where is the whispering to your CEO a terrible secret about your colleague so that they are no longer in line for the promotion, where is the seduction of an investor so that they relinquish more of their cash, where are the tales of ruthlessly trampling on others to get to the top?!. Come on guys geez.
Reply 10
Original post by 99_Problems
I'm so disappointed with this thread. It's so cute and inspiring. You promised disgusting ambition. Where is the whispering to your CEO a terrible secret about your colleague so that they are no longer in line for the promotion, where is the seduction of an investor so that they relinquish more of their cash, where are the tales of ruthlessly trampling on others to get to the top?!. Come on guys geez.

HAHAHA I apologise that I disappointed you.
It's never disgusting to be ambitious, embrace it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to be, I used to have this roaring fire in my belly and when someone said I couldn't do something I would go to the ends of the earth and beyond to prove that I could.

That started going away when I developed depression and now I'm just a little numb and lost. Focusing on everyday as it comes at the moment.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I used to be, I used to have this roaring fire in my belly and when someone said I couldn't do something I would go to the ends of the earth and beyond to prove that I could.

That started going away when I developed depression and now I'm just a little numb and lost. Focusing on everyday as it comes at the moment.

Did you end up proving them wrong? Maybe it's better to delve deep down and look at why you want to achieve what ever it is that you want. I guess it's true though.. Once you achieve what you want. What is there to keep you motivated :moon: Sorry for that damper.. But erm best of luck :h:
On your deathbed your regrets won't be "Oh, I wish I'd spent that extra day in the office."

The problem with monetary ambition is it's ultimate fruitless.

Err I'm not sure about the ball grabbing... But yeah...

Yes, I'm definitely one of those head in the clouds optimists with big plans for life and love taking every opportunity that life throws at me :biggrin:
Is being a workaholic really grabbing life by the balls though?
Original post by Twinpeaks
Is being a workaholic really grabbing life by the balls though?

This. I don't see the point of working yourself to the skin and bones for this world. Everything in moderation is good.
After I shadowed one of the top 100 clinical leaders in the UK. I knew I wanted to be where he is someday as well. He has some sort of arcane aura that leaves people in awe.
Original post by KatieBlogger

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is perfectly put. i was similar to the op around 12-18 months ago, ive toned it down, but thats more due to having personal experiences which really put whats important into perspective; putting your personal happiness and mental health on the side in order to strive for a career is dangerous, and people use it as a way to ignore their prevalent health and real life issues, in my experience of similar people.

gl op, dont forget the important things in life too, lifes amazing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending