The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloeabeki
please could someone link me to the edexcel maths mark schemes? :redface:

http://paper-cut.weebly.com/mayjune-2016.html
Original post by YaYazooGirl
I'm really hoping for A*AA/ A*AB (best case scenario) in Politics, History & Eng Lit A-levels...my grade requirements are AAA. Worst case scenario, I'll get AAB :frown: I really want to go to University of Warwick to study Law! I've fallen in love with the university & I desperately want to move away from home for uni.

The worst part about my insurance (SOAS to study Law) is that it also wants AAA...so if they're not lenient on results day, then I'm pretty much ****ed. If I get AAB, I would be absolutely crushed, as that's what I got in Year 12. To be fair though, I did nowhere near enough revision for A2, so idk. All my exams went incredibly well, so I honestly don't know what to think.

I was very depressed all of Year 13, so attempting to study became such a huge struggle (plus college just made everything worse). That's what's making these results so confusing for me- I truly have no idea what could happen. Last year, during AS, I studied really hard (because for some reason, it made me feel less depressed) and I still ended up with AAB. This year, I got A*AC in my A2 mocks with no revision, and I did a bit more studying by the time it reached the proper exams in June- so I might be able to clinch A*AB or AAA. Fingers crossed. :unsure:

Sorry to hear about your depression. Depression really does suck and is something that affects me badly, and it affected me in Year 13 too so I can appreciate the difficulty of your situation. You say your exams went well so hopefully that's a good sign.

Good luck!*
Original post by AmyPilot
Wow don't know how you managed that! I did my A levels in 2014 (psychology included) and I didn't do it that way - don't think I would have been able to recall that much without getting all mixed up so well done you for your amazing recall powers! We had a "seen exam" at uni this year where you were given the paper in advance, had time to prepare your answer then reproduce it under exam conditions and it was probably my lowest mark this year lol! I must work better with making up as you go along on the day of the exam :colondollar:

The exam was on the 8th June and you had a total of like 20 essays which could come up as it was 1 essay per section so I started revising 3 months before the exam as at this point I had typed up the model answers. Then what I did was I would write out each essay like section at a time and keep writing it out again and again until I knew it word for word which took me on average around 2-3 days per essay and like 3 hours at least per day and I kept up this method till I knew all the essays word-for-word and then when I had learnt all the essays then it was just a matter of constantly writing them out again and again and again and also timing myself to write them out in 30 mins as they were each 5 pages long roughly so I had to make sure I wrote fast so Yh in the exam I went in having memorised all the possible essays and so it was just a matter of reading the questions and regurgitating what I had remembered and it felt amazing cause I didn't have to even think I just kept writing and writing and the words get flowing out without my even thinking, and I finished all the essays with 30 seconds left to spare and used 21 pages altogether in 1 hour and a half so I got quite a few odd looks from others sitting their exams haha but yb I think that just oroves that if youre willing to put the hours in then it is humanly posisnle to remember pages and pages wprth of information and i thjnk what is most important is that you go over the content enough so that you learn it meaning you won't just forget it cause for some of the essays like the early ones that I learnt it came to a point where even if I didn't write it out for a week I would've been able to recall it all from memory word for word without even thinking. This technique is really extreme however and in surpised I had the motivation to do it but for psychology alevel it just seemed to be the only logical way for me to go into the exam knowing I would be able to answer each question well, however I must admit I did get lucky in the sense I didn't revise 1 of the essays as it was asked the year before ! But so many people in my class just didn't seem to know how to learn such a volume of information and would've thought I was completely crazy if they knew I was memorising everything as people just seemed to learn random studies for each essay and then try and make an essay flow well in the exam.

Good luck with your exams and don't think you can't train your brain to learn lots of essays as well !

What did you get in psychology btw ?
I'm really hoping for A*AA/ A*AB (best case scenario) in Politics, History & Eng Lit A-levels...my grade requirements are AAA. Worst case scenario, I'll get AAB :frown: I really want to go to University of Warwick to study Law! I've fallen in love with the university & I desperately want to move away from home for uni.

The worst part about my insurance (SOAS to study Law) is that it also wants AAA...so if they're not lenient on results day, then I'm pretty much ****ed. If I get AAB, I would be absolutely crushed, as that's what I got in Year 12. To be fair though, I did nowhere near enough revision for A2, so idk. All my exams went incredibly well, so I honestly don't know what to think.

I was very depressed all of Year 13, so attempting to study became such a huge struggle (plus college just made everything worse). That's what's making these results so confusing for me- I truly have no idea what could happen. Last year, during AS, I studied really hard (because for some reason, it made me feel less depressed) and I still ended up with AAB. This year, I got A*AC in my A2 mocks with no revision, and I did a bit more studying by the time it reached the proper exams in June- so I might be able to clinch A*AB or AAA. Fingers crossed. :unsure:

I'm in a similar situation to you in some respects. I'm hoping to study maths and my firm wants AAA and my insurance wants AAA/A*AB but I personally believe I've got like AAB or maybe AAA if I'm lucky so I'm really panicky and like yourself I really want to move away and start studying. Hopefully we get our grades and do get in but if not then clearing is an option ! I remember last year looking st clearing vancanies and Southampton if I remember correctly had law in clearing and only wanted like ABB or something even though their typical offer is a lot higher so you never know even if you don't get to Warwick you could still go to a reaonsbaly decent uni xx :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
-

Hi I've only just finished year 12 so I'm just wondering, is it typical for people to have the grades required for their firm offer the same as their insurance offer? It seems a bit risky, no?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hi I've only just finished year 12 so I'm just wondering, is it typical for people to have the grades required for their firm offer the same as their insurance offer? It seems a bit risky, no?

No it isn't normally but personally I did not want to go to any of my other unis for various ressuons so I just put them down even though the offers are basically the same ! Hopefully one uni will be more lenient than the other if I were to miss my offer yet this isn't guaranteed and the likelihood is that if I don't meet my offers I'll be in clearing but I don't regret my choices as the other unis I could've picked are really not good compared to my firm and insurance with regard to module options and facilities for my course so ideally I should've spent more effort researching courses so I had an insurance choice with lower grades to put down, so try and find two good unis you want to go to with similar grades but not the same grades as right now I'm very very concerned leading up to results day given clearing is a big possibility but I do know someone who put down an insurance offer which was HIGHER than their firm offer so it could be worse.... ! Haha
Reply 1266

FYI my insurance is actually higher than my firm :lol: definitely not recommend. :tongue:
When do the OCR papers come out?
Original post by Tskadem
When do the OCR papers come out?

As in the question paper and mark scheme?? LOL the 2015 one wasnt realised until beginning of June 2016 for Chem & Bio :colonhash: I had to get mine off teachers -.-
Original post by Aph
FYI my insurance is actually higher than my firm :lol: definitely not recommend. :tongue:

I feel like I might end up with the same predicament :/ If I get an offer from York I get a 2 grade reduction (summer school programme thingy) so my Physics offer would be ABB (only if I firm them though, which I probably will), and its hard to find a decent uni for Physics with BBB or below offers.
Reply 1270
I feel like I might end up with the same predicament :/ If I get an offer from York I get a 2 grade reduction (summer school programme thingy) so my Physics offer would be ABB (only if I firm them though, which I probably will), and its hard to find a decent uni for Physics with BBB or below offers.

Funnily enough that's the same reason for me!!!
I got a 2 grease reduction for York (different program because I'd have got it even as insurance) and so there was no grade flexability left. But for my insurance I could miss by up to 3 grades and they would still take me so it is kinda a safety net.
Original post by Aph

This made me laugh. How did you manage that?!
Reply 1272
Original post by Sacred Ground
This made me laugh. How did you manage that?!

Original post by Aph
I got a 2 grease reduction for York (different program because I'd have got it even as insurance) and so there was no grade flexability left. But for my insurance I could miss by up to 3 grades and they would still take me so it is kinda a safety net.

:ditto:
Original post by Aph

2 grease reduction sounds nice :biggrin: Just curious, but what programme is that? The one I'm doing is Next Step York.
Reply 1274
2 grease reduction sounds nice :biggrin: Just curious, but what programme is that? The one I'm doing is Next Step York.
Realising Opportunities. You can only get in via your school but it's a great program.
Original post by Aph

wait, if your insurance is higher or the same as your firm is there any way you would actually end up going there? Because you make a commitment to your firm choice don't you?

Same here!!! My results could be anything from A*AA/AAA/A*AB/AAB. My university also requires AAA and unfortunately I don't have a backup either because I got my offer through ucas extra, in which you can only have a firm and no insurance uni.
For AS I got grades AAE.
I'm in a similar situation as yours.. just want it to be over!!
That's dedication for you - hope it works out for you! I still don't think it would have worked for me - too much like hard work lol. I got an A in my psychology A level. What are you planning on doing at uni?
Original post by fefssdf
The exam was on the 8th June and you had a total of like 20 essays which could come up as it was 1 essay per section so I started revising 3 months before the exam as at this point I had typed up the model answers. Then what I did was I would write out each essay like section at a time and keep writing it out again and again until I knew it word for word which took me on average around 2-3 days per essay and like 3 hours at least per day and I kept up this method till I knew all the essays word-for-word and then when I had learnt all the essays then it was just a matter of constantly writing them out again and again and again and also timing myself to write them out in 30 mins as they were each 5 pages long roughly so I had to make sure I wrote fast so Yh in the exam I went in having memorised all the possible essays and so it was just a matter of reading the questions and regurgitating what I had remembered and it felt amazing cause I didn't have to even think I just kept writing and writing and the words get flowing out without my even thinking, and I finished all the essays with 30 seconds left to spare and used 21 pages altogether in 1 hour and a half so I got quite a few odd looks from others sitting their exams haha but yb I think that just oroves that if youre willing to put the hours in then it is humanly posisnle to remember pages and pages wprth of information and i thjnk what is most important is that you go over the content enough so that you learn it meaning you won't just forget it cause for some of the essays like the early ones that I learnt it came to a point where even if I didn't write it out for a week I would've been able to recall it all from memory word for word without even thinking. This technique is really extreme however and in surpised I had the motivation to do it but for psychology alevel it just seemed to be the only logical way for me to go into the exam knowing I would be able to answer each question well, however I must admit I did get lucky in the sense I didn't revise 1 of the essays as it was asked the year before ! But so many people in my class just didn't seem to know how to learn such a volume of information and would've thought I was completely crazy if they knew I was memorising everything as people just seemed to learn random studies for each essay and then try and make an essay flow well in the exam.

Good luck with your exams and don't think you can't train your brain to learn lots of essays as well !

What did you get in psychology btw ?
Reply 1278
Original post by chloeabeki
wait, if your insurance is higher or the same as your firm is there any way you would actually end up going there? Because you make a commitment to your firm choice don't you?

See my post below.

I has an exam nightmare last night :frown: like nit a results day one but one about sitting the exams!!!
Why is everyone on here talking about being scared of results day. Yes, it's scary but there's 3 and a bit weeks left so just enjoy them and worry a day or something before. No point getting worked up now, you can't do anything..what's done is done and everything happens for the best. I got crap GCSEs but moved schools and got AAAA last year, so don't fret 😊 as long as everyone tried their best, that's what matters

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest