The Student Room Group

How to say 'let me explain this further' in a more interesting way

Any ideas on how to say 'let me explain this further' in a speech in a more interesting way, leading up to larger sets of information? Thanks
Original post by giraffebaby
Any ideas on how to say 'let me explain this further' in a speech in a more interesting way, leading up to larger sets of information? Thanks

Allow me to illustrate the functions of...
Let me elaborate...
In (special/specific) cases like these, ...

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by giraffebaby

Whenever I write essays, I end up putting in similar phrases. When I review the essay I always remove them. "Let me explain further" or words to that effect are redundant. You are speaking. You are explaining. You don't need to tell people you are explaining. They know it already because they are listening to you.

It is just a form of verbal diarrhoea. Rather than say these words. Say nothing. A terrifying trick of public speaking is to leave long pauses. It allows the audience to digest what you have just said.

Good luck!
"To elaborate,"
"Furthermore,"
"From this point,"
"Additionally,"
"In a broader context, this is an example of..."
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
Whenever I write essays, I end up putting in similar phrases. When I review the essay I always remove them. "Let me explain further" or words to that effect are redundant. You are speaking. You are explaining. You don't need to tell people you are explaining. They know it already because they are listening to you.

It is just a form of verbal diarrhoea. Rather than say these words. Say nothing. A terrifying trick of public speaking is to leave long pauses. It allows the audience to digest what you have just said.

Good luck!
Thanks! That was really helpful and that's what I did!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending