The Student Room Group

Uni of Birmingham or Manchester for BSc Psychology?

Hi! I’m an international student from Hong Kong who’s struggling to decide on which uni to go to :frown: I’ve never been to either unis and am extremely confused as to which uni ranking system is the most reliable Can any uni students please provide me with insights on which uni (Birmingham/Manchester) has a better reputation, is better for studying psychology and for a future career as a clinical psychologist? Any advice is highly recommended! Thanks so much :smile: :smile: :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Both universities are very good so you'll be fine at either one.

Have you secured a place as both are very competitive (there's only 290 places available in Birmingham for example across all Psychology programmes).

Personally I'd choose Birmingham.

My sister went to both and she loved both. Both universities have excellent reputations and resources.
Though you shouldn't just rely on the university to supply you with everything, make sure you know what you can do with your psychology degree after you graduate and secure a position somewhere before you graduate.

Here's a video for Psychology at the University of Birmingham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG35ldnvOI0
It also shows what the campus is like, etc.

Here's one of for Psychology at the University of Manchester: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6iHquor2U
Also shows the surrounding area too.

Read and watch as many videos as you can before deciding.

Good luck :smile:

Did you know that using Google Maps you can walk across both campuses too using street view?
So it's like you're really there.

If you go to Google Maps and then type in University of Birmingham or for the University of Manchester, wait for it to load and then you'll see a little yellow man in the bottom right of your screen. Drag it onto the campus and it'll zoom in and go to street view and you'll be able to walk around the campus and buildings and see what it's actually like there. It'll hopefully give you some idea of what to expect at least as you'll be living there.

Birmingham campus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65zwpRLKtM
Manchester campus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUG563QTIHk

Hope that helps you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by catinsomehat
Both universities are very good so you'll be fine at either one.

Have you secured a place as both are very competitive (there's only 290 places available in Birmingham for example across all Psychology programmes).

Personally I'd choose Birmingham.

My sister went to both and she loved both. Both universities have excellent reputations and resources.
Though you shouldn't just rely on the university to supply you with everything, make sure you know what you can do with your psychology degree after you graduate and secure a position somewhere before you graduate.

Thank you sooo much for your informative (and prompt) reply :smile: Birmingham's psychology department seems better, but Manchester seems to have a better international reputation as a whole uni hmm I'm holding offers from both unis and have also met the conditions so it's really down to me deciding which- Would the college or the course be more important for future employment?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rachelchow_
Thank you sooo much for your informative (and prompt) reply :smile: Birmingham's psychology department seems better, but Manchester seems to have a better international reputation as a whole uni hmm I'm holding offers from both unis and have also met the conditions so it's really down to me deciding which- Would the college or the course be more important for future employment?

I added some other information too, I tend to save things and then think of something to add later (it's pretty annoying) :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll be fine regardless of where you go, also don't believe people when they say the first year of a degree doesn't count :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by catinsomehat
I added some other information too, I tend to save things and then think of something to add later (it's pretty annoying) :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll be fine regardless of where you go, also don't believe people when they say the first year of a degree doesn't count :wink:

Thanks for the links and the advice - You've been extremely kind and I can't be more grateful your help :smile: Just wondering though: why would you choose Birmingham over Manchester?
Original post by rachelchow_
Thanks for the links and the advice - You've been extremely kind and I can't be more grateful your help :smile: Just wondering though: why would you choose Birmingham over Manchester?

I suppose it's because I'm from the city of Birmingham that I said that :biggrin:

It might be a good idea to contact the universities themselves and ask what additional resources they provide, if they'll assist with any placements you can go on during your time there, and what you'll need to actually work at hospitals, etc as an international student.

I believe Manchester has more of a night life than Birmingham if that helps in your decision, but there's still lots to do in Birmingham and the university has its own train station so you can travel to other places easily.

When I was applying for universities this year my current employer said that it doesn't really matter about the reputation of the university that you go to, it matters about the individual. He's met and interviewed lots of people from top universities that don't know how to write code or look people in the eye. At all :biggrin:

I knew that I'd be okay regardless of where I went. I got into all of my choices for Computer Science but I ended up going with my heart after visiting Keele University and falling in love with it and the people there who were really friendly, as well as how they handled their courses in a different way to other universities in the UK. I know that visiting isn't an option for you but I'll just say that a university's reputation will only get you so far so don't worry about that too much and work on yourself.
Like I said, you'll be happy regardless of where you go and both universities are great, just make sure you know beforehand what you'll be getting out of the degree before it finishes :smile:

Also there's lots of international students and support for them at both of those universities so don't let that be a worry.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest