The Student Room Group

Two men kidnap priest, take hostages in church near the French Rouen

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TelAviv
Some media is reporting they 'beheaded' the priest.

If these reports are true, we mustn't jump to conclusions!

Sorry, why mustn't we? If the shoe fits...
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Daesh is a derogatory term for IS. Hmm. I guess it's too early to tell what the motive is.
Wrong, 100% wrong, it just means ISIS, not derogatory at all.
Yeah. Far right groups. :frown:

If you're more worried about the right than the possibility of another attack you have some really strange morals
Original post by 1010marina
If you're more worried about the right than the possibility of another attack you have some really strange morals

No morals at all.
Original post by Trapz99
As a Christian, I see this attack as even more evidence that Islam directly opposes the values that we hold as Christians and they are directly against our very existence.

"Fight those of the People of the Book who do not [truly] believe in God and the Last Day, who do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden, who do not behave according to the rule of justice, until they pay the tax and submit to it."

This attack is justified in Islam.

No, it really isn't. Islam has certain rules regarding warfare.Before engaging in battle(must be for Islamically justified reasons which today's attack was not), the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) instructed his soldiers:
1. “Do not kill any child, any woman, or any elder or sick person.” (Sunan Abu Dawud)

2. “Do not practice treachery or mutilation.(Al-Muwatta)

3. Do not uproot or burn palms or cut down fruitful trees.(Al-Muwatta)

4. Do not slaughter a sheep or a cow or a camel, except for food.” (Al-Muwatta)

5. “If one fights his brother, [he must] avoid striking the face, for God created him in the image of Adam.” (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

6. “Do not kill the monks in monasteries, and do not kill those sitting in places of worship. (Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

7. “Do not destroy the villages and towns, do not spoil the cultivated fields and gardens, and do not slaughter the cattle.” (Sahih Bukhari; Sunan Abu Dawud)

8. “Do not wish for an encounter with the enemy; pray to God to grant you security; but when you [are forced to] encounter them, exercise patience.” (Sahih Muslim)

9. “No one may punish with fire except the Lord of Fire.” (Sunan Abu Dawud).

10. “Accustom yourselves to do good if people do good, and to not do wrong even if they commit evil.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry, why mustn't we? If the shoe fits...

Because that would be racist/fascist/sexist/islamophobic/xenophobic/arachnophobic/bigoted/nasty!
Daesh is a derogatory term for IS. Hmm. I guess it's too early to tell what the motive is.

Some news outlets and countries purposely use the term Daesh instead of ISIS/IS/ISIL regardless of which term was used.
Reply 67
One of the terrorists had tried to go to Syria and was jailed for that. He was freed a few months ago.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I'm glad to know what your priorities are, beheadings, rape, burning, torture don't matter as long as Le Pen is never elected.

???
Beheadings, rape, burning, torture do matter and are completely unacceptable and barbaric.

I think I've been misunderstood here. I'm worried about our future and the continued attacks. I guess I should have been more clearer about my opinion. I was just stating one point but that's not what I'm only worried about in terms of these terrorist attacks.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
If that's your main concern you're a terrible person.

I wouldn't say so. Yes, it's terrible that this has happened (and will no doubt continue to happen), but what's done is done, and any concerns for the future definitely need to be addressed.

Religious nutters killing innocent people is just as bad as far-right nationalists killing religious innocents, no? So the fears aren't exactly unfounded, ergo I don't see how the concern of a potential backlash makes one a terrible person, especially if what's concerning is the prospect of more innocent people dying at the hands of ignorant bigots.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TelAviv
Because that would be racist/fascist/sexist/islamophobic/xenophobic/arachnophobic/bigoted/nasty!

It's nasty to compare the beheading of a Christian priest in France to the modus operandi of a barbaric tribe of idiots from the middle East now? Huh. Go figure.

To clarify, is that more or less nasty than the terrorists are?
Original post by The_Opinion
This is a Christian nation. The reason that we are here today, successful and prosperous is as a result of Christianity, why do you think that we celebrate Christmas and Easter?

We're not a Christian nation. How can a Christian nation have gay marriage for example? We're as much of a Christian nation as we are an absolute monarchy.
I am not denying at all the influence Christianity had on this country and its history, but I am just pointing out the present state of the country.
Original post by The_Opinion
Wrong, 100% wrong, it just means ISIS, not derogatory at all.

Oh okay. My mistake. I've always heard it was derogatory by the media.
Original post by childofthesun
No, it really isn't. Islam has certain rules regarding warfare.Before engaging in battle(must be for Islamically justified reasons which today's attack was not), the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) instructed his soldiers:
1. “Do not kill any child, any woman, or any elder or sick person.” (Sunan Abu Dawud)

2. “Do not practice treachery or mutilation.(Al-Muwatta)

3. Do not uproot or burn palms or cut down fruitful trees.(Al-Muwatta)

4. Do not slaughter a sheep or a cow or a camel, except for food.” (Al-Muwatta)

5. “If one fights his brother, [he must] avoid striking the face, for God created him in the image of Adam.” (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

6. “Do not kill the monks in monasteries, and do not kill those sitting in places of worship. (Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

7. “Do not destroy the villages and towns, do not spoil the cultivated fields and gardens, and do not slaughter the cattle.” (Sahih Bukhari; Sunan Abu Dawud)

8. “Do not wish for an encounter with the enemy; pray to God to grant you security; but when you [are forced to] encounter them, exercise patience.” (Sahih Muslim)

9. “No one may punish with fire except the Lord of Fire.” (Sunan Abu Dawud).

10. “Accustom yourselves to do good if people do good, and to not do wrong even if they commit evil.” (Al-Tirmidhi)

I bet the pope is behind it all. The Vatican is after the seven hill city upon where the beast sits according to Christianity and prophecy says it will be destroyed.
I think I've been misunderstood here. I'm worried about our future and the continued attacks. I guess I should have been more clearer about my opinion. I was just stating one point but that's not what I'm only worried about in terms of these terrorist attacks.

Fair enough. Personally I want someone to put their foot down and stop this slaughter and I think we need radical change for that. But to each their own eh
Original post by Drunk Punx
I wouldn't say so. Yes, it's terrible that this has happened (and will no doubt continue to happen), but what's done is done, and any concerns for the future definitely need to be addressed.

Religious nutters killing innocent people is just as bad as far-right nationalists killing religious innocents, no? So the fears aren't exactly unfounded, ergo I don't see how the concern of a potential backlash makes one a terrible person, especially if what's concerning is the prospect of more innocent people dying at the hands of ignorant bigots.

Thank you for your input. I've been made out to be a horrible person for my comment. Didn't mean to be offensive at all.
The far right nationalists haven't killed anyone recently apart from that Norwegian nutcase what's Islamic terrorisms death toll so far? BTW Islamisim IS far-right they hate homosexuals treat women like dirt.
Original post by Trapz99
Actually, the Church of England is our state religion. We're not totally secular in the sense that Canada or France are.

Morality comes from God in my opinion but feel free to disagree.

And yes, atheists and people of other religions are killed by ISIS. I am not doubting that- I was just specifically referring to Christians.

The problem with this comment is that it excludes atheists like myself from this plight, as if we're not in danger too. Those people are attacking our liberties and freedom, regardless of our religion. They're not just attacking "Christian" values, they're against liberal values.

That said, this attack is clearly directed towards Christians so you do have a point. Just don't say things like Islam is against Christian values, because if anything they agree much, much more with actual Christian values such as ban of homosexuality and denying higher rights for women, than they do with Liberal values, which they wish to eliminate from the world.
Oh okay. My mistake. I've always heard it was derogatory by the media.

Yeah - the media influences.
I think Daesh is a term just used as certain countries don't like or want to use ISIL or ISIS or whatever.

On another note, can anyone remember a time where you didn't have to wake up in the morning to find that another terror attack/mass-murder-not-inspired-by-terrorism attack had taken place every single day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending