The Student Room Group

Should we send back migrant boats?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Trapz99
But we don't know who is coming in these boats. There could be terrorists in there- ISIS has said that they will send us their 'soldiers' so we shouldn't accept these migrant boats. Instead, we should perhaps take some refugees directly from Syria after a rigorous vetting process like the US does.

I guess we should tell hospitals to stop delivering babies, just in case one turns out to be a terrorist.
Original post by Dez
Do we? You're talking about monitoring the world's busiest shipping lane for every dinghy, motorboat and rubber duck, 24 hours a day. Not exactly a light undertaking, and all you'll determine from that is whether they set foot in France or not, really.

Not sure why you are talking about France when the route of the boats is well known

as I said all that is needed is the will to take action
Yes, they should be sent back and we shouldn't rescue migrant boats which capsize in the Mediterranean.

The reason why people are making the dangerous journey across the Mediterranean Sea is because they know that the European authorities will be unwilling to turn them away as a result of extensive regulation and health and safety requirements. Economic migrants have to know that European countries will not welcome their coming to Europe as that's the only way we will stop illegal migration from North Africa and people making the reckless journey and putting young lives at risk. If countries like Spain and Italy are unwilling to have a backbone when it comes to illegal immigration, it will only result in more people making the dangerous journey and more deaths as a result of opportunism.

The reason why countries like Japan and South Korea never have to tackle the issue of economic immigrants overstaying their welcome is because those people know that they will not find work and employment as an illegal alien. The Japanese and Korean immigration systems are so tight that they never have to worry about illegal immigration from poorer countries like China.

Europe cannot open its doors to millions of people because of human rights, war and economic inequality. I understand that there is a lot of heartfelt when it comes to people seeking a better life for themselves and their family, but the line has to be drawn and those seeking refuge or migration to Europe must do so by the appropriate means.
Ideally, yes. But the refugee laws are a loophole that make it difficult, if not impossible, to do so. I do think something may have to change eventually. A few thousand refugees is one thing. A few million is quite another.

What I'm hoping is that another signatory to the 1951 convention breaks it first, which makes it easier for other countries to justify violating it as well, claiming that they now have no guarantee that refugees from their country would be accepted, and that this justifies them reneging on the agreement because it's already broken.

I think everyone is just waiting to see who violates it first so they don't have to be the villain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by BaconandSauce
the route of the boats is well known

What are you basing this off exactly?
Original post by Dez
I guess we should tell hospitals to stop delivering babies, just in case one turns out to be a terrorist.

No. Babies aren't born as terrorists. No one is. However, there are some terrorists on these boats and we can't find out who they are. So it's best to be safe and not take in any of them.
Reply 26
Original post by Trapz99
some terrorists on these boats and we can't find out who they are. So it's best to be safe and not take in any of them.

Some babies will grow up as terrorists and we can't find out who they are. So it's best to be safe and not deliver any of them.
Original post by Dez
What are you basing this off exactly?

Know facts regarding the current migration route being taken by the boats. Reports from the UN and from Human rights organisations.
Reply 28
Know facts regarding the current migration route being taken by the boats. Reports from the UN and from Human rights organisations.

Oh so the UN is the one with the magical dinghy tracking device now?
Original post by Dez

Not to mention those fleeing, terrified for their lives being exceptionally talented boat navigators(!)
Original post by Dez

They have people on the ground and boats in the area.

What is missing is the will to actually STOP the boats not tracking them

But I can see you are getting pissy so I'll leave you to your mistakes
Most of them are fleeing from an area of conflict, war, terrorism etc. Some are doctors, lawyers, teachers who fight for a brighter future (some of them have no studies, but that shouldn't prevent them from escaping a country of current horror). With immigration laws being more and more strict as time passes, it wouldn't surprise me if those who apply to come in legally are rejected. Then, what to do? their situation forces them to either try to come in illegally, or stay in misery. We should try and help them the best way we can. Are there risks? of course there are, but if we were in their shoes... what would you do? I'd do everything it takes to flee from death, starvation or conflict, even if it means doing so illegally. It's called survival. Ideally there would be no conflict and everyone would have a safe place to live in, but the world is far from ideal... I believe we should help each other, even if it means a bit of self-sacrifice, at least until conflict passes and their homes are safe to return to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
They have people on the ground and boats in the area.

Sounds like a totally omniscient operation, there's definitely no way anything is getting past a few blokes on a beach and some boats dotted around the channel.

What is missing is the will to actually STOP the boats not tracking them

Again, how are you supposed to stop them? Where are you going to send them to? How on earth can you hope to know where every single person has travelled from and to? The entire idea is completely stupid. it's not a case of lack of willpower, we just can't afford to spend trillions on tracking a handful of dinghies.

But I can see you are getting pissy so I'll leave you to your mistakes

If you're going to make absurd claims and not back them up with anything, don't be surprised when someone calls you out on your BS.
Reply 33
I'm somewhat for sending them back in principle in practice though, never I mean it would be deplorable to send people back to places like Uganda, Syria, Iraq and so on.
I would reluctantly turn them back to Turkey, however you can't IMO return people to Libya due to the situation in the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending