The Student Room Group

Gordon Brown's holy laws.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dingleberry jam
[*]Total Posts 12,377
[*]Posts Per Day 16.90
[*]Blimey, how do you fit it all in?
It's a job. The Zionist Military Industrial Complex Liberal Regressive Left doesn't promote itself.

Our drug laws have always been about religious moralising, Brown managed to push these laws through parliament against all advice simply because it wasn't seen as an important issue. This is similar to how these laws came into place in the first place. Egypt wanted hashish adding to an international drug control treaty, we signed it off as hashish was of very little interest to us but appeasing Islamists and US Puritans was.

If others also favour them for completely different reasons it is with very little to no evidence that it actually works, if not religion where do these odd ideas come from? Indeed, many of our laws covering social prohibitions have their roots in religiosity, but the failure to reclassify cannabis is not due to Brown's religious beliefs. There is far more to it than that.
Original post by QE2
It's a job. The Zionist Military Industrial Complex Liberal Regressive Left doesn't promote itself.

Seriously though, where do you find the time?

Original post by QE2

Indeed, many of our laws covering social prohibitions have their roots in religiosity, but the failure to reclassify cannabis is not due to Brown's religious beliefs. There is far more to it than that.

Sure, there are all kinds of vested interests involved but without evidence that these laws achieve their stated aims it all boils down to religious moralising. You guys should be all over this.
Right, so no more objections? I'll assume you're all on board. I'm afraid i'm a little new to this crusading malarkey and not sure on everything that's involved so advice here is welcome.

But to get things rolling i've done a few calculations to get a rough idea what we need to be aiming for. You guys average over 8 post a day, I realise you have anti-islam commitments but if we could get just 2 drugs related posts average per person per day that'd be great. Any old **** will do as long as you stick religiously to the agenda. If you have any problems finding material let me know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Right, so no more objections? I'll assume you're all on board. I'm afraid i'm a little new to this crusading malarkey and not sure on everything that's involved so advice here is welcome.

But to get things rolling i've done a few calculations to get a rough idea what we need to be aiming for. You guys average over 8 post a day, I realise you have anti-islam commitments but if we could get just 2 drugs related posts average per person per day that'd be great. Any old **** will do as long as you stick religiously to the agenda. If you have any problems finding material let me know.
Are you high?
Original post by QE2
Are you high?

He did claim to be hanging.
Original post by QE2
Are you high?

No. So what does it take to motivate you guys?
Original post by Good bloke
He did claim to be hanging.

Hey Good bloke, i realise you have certain issues but can we keep it constructive. Ta.
Reply 27
No. So what does it take to motivate you guys?
Interest in a subject.
I have no interest in the religious origins of the prohibition of certain recreational drugs.

Not least because the reason that they remain controlled is not due to religion, but to politics and the self interest of politicians.

If you think that most MPs voted to retain classification on cannabis because of Brown's religious preaching, I'll have some of what you're smoking!
Original post by QE2

If you think that most MPs voted to retain classification on cannabis because of Brown's religious preaching, I'll have some of what you're smoking!

Not just Brown obviously. We have UN commitments thanks to those Islamists and puritans i mentioned and the media may not have influenced Brown in this case but no doubt other mps would be worried about upsetting the likes of Peter Hitchens. What other reasons do you believe mps voted to increase penalties?
Original post by QE2
Just because I like playing football, do you think that I must then also play rugby?

Nar, ones a bit posher than the other.

So far all i have to go on is this:

"Not least because the reason that they remain controlled is not due to religion, but to politics and the self interest of politicians."

We could say similar about Islamism and many of the issues you raise concerning it. What are these reasons you believe to be behind it, maybe they're also linked to religion?
Reply 32
Nar, ones a bit posher than the other.

So far all i have to go on is this:

"Not least because the reason that they remain controlled is not due to religion, but to politics and the self interest of politicians."

We could say similar about Islamism and many of the issues you raise concerning it. What are these reasons you believe to be behind it, maybe they're also linked to religion?
Sorry, I'm off to play football. Enjoy chasing your egg.
Original post by QE2
Sorry, I'm off to play football. Enjoy chasing your egg.

So it is prejudice?

I prefer football. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending