The Student Room Group

Career in Law?

I've currently just finished my GCSEs this summer and I really want to get into law as a career. Is there any advice that anyone has regarding a level options, what degrees to take and work experience in general? Thank you.
Original post by skullz01242
I've currently just finished my GCSEs this summer and I really want to get into law as a career. Is there any advice that anyone has regarding a level options, what degrees to take and work experience in general? Thank you.

Have you had a look at our Law Uni course forum? There's loads of great advice in there!

Hi skullz,

I've read that subjects like History, English Literature, Geography, Politics and French are good to take if you want to do a degree in Law :smile:
You can take virtually any A-Levels. The subjects you take don't matter - it's the grades that you get in them. Take subjects that you enjoy and that you will get good grades in. Universities don't specify any specific subjects because you don't need any knowledge of Law before you take it at university. However, humanity subjects will obviously help, as essay-based subjects.
Reply 4
Agree you can take basically any a-levels. I did NO traditional subjects and got offers from Russell group unis. Do what you think you will enjoy/do well in, nothing worse than a class you hate!

If your college/school does law a level I recommend it, if you like law you'll find it interesting and it gives you some good core knowledge. It will also help you decide you definitely want to do law and you'll get to go on some good trips/meet interesting people.

As for uni, you'll need to do a law LLB to qualify
Reply 5
Original post by kisaki
Agree you can take basically any a-levels. I did NO traditional subjects and got offers from Russell group unis. Do what you think you will enjoy/do well in, nothing worse than a class you hate!

If your college/school does law a level I recommend it, if you like law you'll find it interesting and it gives you some good core knowledge. It will also help you decide you definitely want to do law and you'll get to go on some good trips/meet interesting people.

Okay thank you for the advice, what's an LLB?
Reply 6
Original post by francis_e_c
You can take virtually any A-Levels. The subjects you take don't matter - it's the grades that you get in them. Take subjects that you enjoy and that you will get good grades in. Universities don't specify any specific subjects because you don't need any knowledge of Law before you take it at university. However, humanity subjects will obviously help, as essay-based subjects.

Would philosophy and ethics be good?
Would philosophy and ethics be good?

If you think you'll enjoy it and do well, yes. I'm going to be taking it too, and I obviously want to apply for law as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kisaki

I just want to add that some universities do not like prospective students studying Law A-level. I've also heard it's nothing like studying it at university, so I would not recommend studying it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you for the advice, what's an LLB?

An LLB is the qualifying undergraduate law degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I just want to add that some universities do not like prospective students studying Law A-level. I've also heard it's nothing like studying it at university, so I would not recommend studying it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is very few unis now, it's a bit outdated/a myth. When applying I never (nor did any of my friends) encountered a problem with having a level law. I think only 1 or 2 say they discourage it, and I haven't seen any that outright exclude it from offers. I did have a freind who was offered A*AA for Cambridge, and they said the A* couldn't be law... But that was the only 'discouragement' I saw.

A level law is not like degree law at all, but it does give you some excellent core knowledge, including things like the the structure of the British legal system, the route to becoming a qualified lawyer and how the court system works. These things will be helpful when it comes to your degree as it serves as background knowledge, makes it easier to understand the course content. It's also a good taster for deciding where your interests really lie, a lot of people end up finding it dry or not what they imagined and end up going a different way.

Most a level law courses at decent schools/colleges offer court trips, internships and moot practice. This is what's the most beneficial about doing a level law IMO. These things look killer on a personal statement and will greatly outweigh a unis dislike for the course... You also get some great contacts which is invaluable for a legal career. I now know people who do corporate law for the bbc and negotiate with firms like pinsent mason and some local judges, all from my a level course.

Just trying to reduce the stigma a bit, it's definitely a worthwhile a level if you're interested in it, don't be put off by the thought of uni, not worth it:biggrin:
If you think you'll enjoy it and do well, yes. I'm going to be taking it too, and I obviously want to apply for law as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you, I'm stuck between either taking psychology or Phil&Ethics but I've already done Phil&Ethics and from what I've heard the a level syllabus is just expanding on the gcse syllabus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending