The Student Room Group

Excessive consumption of Pepsi and chewing gum

I know people who drink loads of Pepsi each day and eat full packs of chewing gum every day. What are the health issues?
The obvious one for the Pepsi is sugar. Refined sugar is awful for you in large quantities, and drinks such as Pepsi, Coke etc are full of it. Your tooth enamel is going to be taking a large hit and you're also at a greater risk of developing diabetes later on in life.As for the gum, chewing gum stimulates the stomach to produce acid as it would when you eat food. Except you don't eat the gum so the acid effectively damages the inside of your stomach.Ideally, cut down on both, you're not doing your body any good.And I know you said you 'know a lot of people', but that's usually code for you do it yourself.Either way, even cutting down a small bit will help your body out. Flavour water yourself with some fruit, that's a nice alternative. Or snack on a handful of nuts as opposed to gum. If you chew gum to freshen your breath, see a doctor and they can help you out with breath problems.Hope some of this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by examiningboard
The obvious one for the Pepsi is sugar. Refined sugar is awful for you in large quantities, and drinks such as Pepsi, Coke etc are full of it. Your tooth enamel is going to be taking a large hit and you're also at a greater risk of developing diabetes later on in life.As for the gum, chewing gum stimulates the stomach to produce acid as it would when you eat food. Except you don't eat the gum so the acid effectively damages the inside of your stomach.Ideally, cut down on both, you're not doing your body any good.And I know you said you 'know a lot of people', but that's usually code for you do it yourself.Either way, even cutting down a small bit will help your body out. Flavour water yourself with some fruit, that's a nice alternative. Or snack on a handful of nuts as opposed to gum. If you chew gum to freshen your breath, see a doctor and they can help you out with breath problems.Hope some of this helps.

Thanks but I don't actually do it myself. Frizzy drinks give me stomach pains and chewing gum is just a weird substance
Original post by Frizzy one
Thanks but I don't actually do it myself. Frizzy drinks give me stomach pains and chewing gum is just a weird substance

Fair enough.Agree with the gum, I've never seen the appeal of it. Quite disgusting watching people chew it in the workplace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending