The Student Room Group

Accademic appeal

I recently failed my exams and sent in an appeal asking to retake my exams during the summer retake period as I had extenuating circumstances during the exam period. I even had medical evidence to back this up. However, when i made the application, they sent back an email saying they are so busy that no case officer will be assigned to my case until 3 or 4 weeks. But the retake are in 4 weeks. I just feel like this is so unfair. Im not saying my request is more important than other but mine is time sensitive unlike some others. I sent an email to them and there has been no responce. the appeal people dont even have a number that I can contact. I just feel so annoyed and dont get why they wouldn't have more people working during such a busy period or be more prepared. I dont even know what to do.

my uni is University of Surrey by the way
Contact the Students Union for advice. Their contact phone number and email address are on the pdf version of the academic appeals form
Reply 2
Original post by magratgarlick
Contact the Students Union for advice. Their contact phone number and email address are on the pdf version of the academic appeals form

they werent helpful. I contacted them and they said thy said they are very busy and you may just end up retaking the exams next year which annoyed me even more because why didnt they think to tell me while helping me write the appeal? they knew what outcome I was seeking in the appeal.

Im considering contacting the head of appeals . Im just not sure if it would be appropriet .
Did you apply within 10 days of the result and with evidence to show why it wasn't possible for you to claim EC at the time of the assessment? If you have all that then asking for more clarification of the timeline would be appropriate.
Original post by RRHHTd
they werent helpful. I contacted them and they said thy said they are very busy and you may just end up retaking the exams next year which annoyed me even more because why didnt they think to tell me while helping me write the appeal? they knew what outcome I was seeking in the appeal.

Im considering contacting the head of appeals . Im just not sure if it would be appropriet .

Have you talked to your tutor or visited your department. You tutor would recognise it is time critical. I would consider visiting in person and not going away till I had seen someone who could push it forward or say definitively they would not deal with it. Maybe you could tlak to the person arranging resits. If you have to tlak to the appeals iffice just be polite and you could always talk to the persons secretary, which isnt as big an imposition.

Even if they assigned a case officer not , then wouldnt it take at least a few weeks before they gave you a decision?

Would you be ready to do retakes in 4 weeks and would you pass?

Sorry I didnt respond to your PM been ill and preoccupied. If you need feedvack on it then PQ, Neil, Plagiocase and Claire steele would all give you good feedback. As long as you stated your best reasons and supporting medical evidence then they would take it seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest