The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous191
Guys,
I would appreciate if someone could help me.
Things have gone horribly wrong this year. Would I have a chance in clearing for DDD at ANY Uni for Biochemistry?
I done Maths, Bio and Chem at A2.

I don't really have any advice for you, I'd just like to wish you the best of luck and here's to hoping you far exceed your expectations! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure you will get accepted. Think positive! You will need to think carefully about which uni you would really prefer. Why do you now prefer Manchester? It's a good uni and Manchester is good for student life. In my first year one of my flatmates was in her second year doing maths at Manchester. Don't know much about Notts so can't help there sorry. I only considered a few unis as very few offer the course I wanted to study - and only one offered the course I actually do now
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh I hope I get in there with AAB lol cause they sent an email saying about how they will consider everyone who ' narrowly missed their offer ' and my school is on the list of ' crap ' schools basically meaning my application was ' flagged up ' cause of contextual data so hopefully that counts in my favour ; I'm tempted to swap my firm and insurance but can't decide ! Like idk
Original post by AmyPilot
Manchester was my insurance choice too lol. I got a reduced offer from them of BBB instead of AAB as I participated in the Manchester Access Programme through my college so spent quite a lot of time at UofM during my AS year. I know a few people who got in there too despite slightly missing their offer so don't give up hope.

Hi! I also did the Manchester access programme and got an offer of BBB for accounting and finance, if I was to miss by offer by one grade and maybe get A*AC do you think they would still accept me or not because the grades have already been lowered? Or are they more lenient to those who have participated in the MAP?Thanks
If this was at me then sorry but I have no idea how they would look at different grades for MAP applicants. I do know someone who got in in 2014 with ABC rather than AAB (non-MAP applicant) but each year is different. Good luck
Original post by Zazzzy57
Hi! I also did the Manchester access programme and got an offer of BBB for accounting and finance, if I was to miss by offer by one grade and maybe get A*AC do you think they would still accept me or not because the grades have already been lowered? Or are they more lenient to those who have participated in the MAP?

Thanks
If this was at me then sorry but I have no idea how they would look at different grades for MAP applicants. I do know someone who got in in 2014 with ABC rather than AAB (non-MAP applicant) but each year is different. Good luck

So I applied for maths and german at Sheffield and i need ABB, i think i may have got the A in german rather than maths but they wanted it in maths. Or i think i may have BBB. I know that german is a lot less popular in unis than french and spanish, so do you think they would still take me even if i didn't get the grades? Anyone know how lenient Sheffield is? So so worried.
Original post by fefssdf
ah gosh you do some hard subjects mate ... good luck to you :smile: and let us know what you get !

Thanks, but a challenge is always good and plus passion beats everything. Kinda wish I took physics instead of biology though because it would be more beneficial towards my future.
Original post by Emi1998
So I applied for maths and german at Sheffield and i need ABB, i think i may have got the A in german rather than maths but they wanted it in maths. Or i think i may have BBB. I know that german is a lot less popular in unis than french and spanish, so do you think they would still take me even if i didn't get the grades? Anyone know how lenient Sheffield is? So so worried.

It's impossible to say - they might ask you to switch to a single honours German course (or a combined course that doesn't require so much maths). Combined honours maths is tough (you have to perform to the same standard of single honours maths students while only spending half the time working on maths content) so there's a good reason that they might insist on a good maths A level grade to get onto the course.

I doubt they would reject you outright with ABB/BBB though - they're much more likely to make a changed course offer (which you could then either accept or reject to be passed to your insurance choice).
Original post by YaYazooGirl
I'm really hoping for A*AA/ A*AB (best case scenario) in Politics, History & Eng Lit A-levels...my grade requirements are AAA. Worst case scenario, I'll get AAB :frown: I really want to go to University of Warwick to study Law! I've fallen in love with the university & I desperately want to move away from home for uni.

The worst part about my insurance (SOAS to study Law) is that it also wants AAA...so if they're not lenient on results day, then I'm pretty much ****ed. If I get AAB, I would be absolutely crushed, as that's what I got in Year 12. To be fair though, I did nowhere near enough revision for A2, so idk. All my exams went incredibly well, so I honestly don't know what to think.

I was very depressed all of Year 13, so attempting to study became such a huge struggle (plus college just made everything worse). That's what's making these results so confusing for me- I truly have no idea what could happen. Last year, during AS, I studied really hard (because for some reason, it made me feel less depressed) and I still ended up with AAB. This year, I got A*AC in my A2 mocks with no revision, and I did a bit more studying by the time it reached the proper exams in June- so I might be able to clinch A*AB or AAA. Fingers crossed. :unsure:

this literally speaks to me on every level (well apart from the course and the uni, I want to study English Literature and Creative Writing @ University of Birmingham)

I need AAA but I want to do better. I feel like I got AAB too tho D:
Depression is a mf but if you can you should seek professional help, it depends on who you see but it could really help.
It helps me now, I have a really good psychiatrist now and I wish I had her at the beginning of A-Levels :frown:
I'm glad I'll have her for uni tho.

The same thing about my insurance also, it's AAA and if I fail monumentally I'm moreorless dead😭

You'll get thru this x
(edited 7 years ago)
Everyone saying they need AAA and I need A*A*A* :afraid::afraid::afraid:
Oh my that's high! To go where and to study what????
Original post by target21859
Everyone saying they need AAA and I need A*A*A* :afraid::afraid::afraid:

I think Warwick is the only one that gives out offers of A*A*A* for Maths.
From the first of August until results day is when they're matching up results to the candidate on Track right?
So when do the universities decide if you're accepted or not? Does all the information go on Track first and then the universities access it and decide accordingly or is it something else?
I'm pretty sure all our scripts are marked and revised by now though.
WOW that's scary (especially if, like me, you have a bit of a maths phobia lol)
Original post by NeverLucky
I think Warwick is the only one that gives out offers of A*A*A* for Maths.
WOW that's scary (especially if, like me, you have a bit of a maths phobia lol)

Yeah it is a bit crazy but I suppose it does say something when that's probably the easiest offer to obtain, otherwise you'll have to take STEP haha. Granted, my offer of A*A*AA isn't much better but I've decided to take a gap year instead and so I'm going to reject the offer on results day.
Original post by MessyEffy
From the first of August until results day is when they're matching up results to the candidate on Track right?
So when do the universities decide if you're accepted or not? Does all the information go on Track first and then the universities access it and decide accordingly or is it something else?
I'm pretty sure all our scripts are marked and revised by now though.

UCAS receive the A level results from exam boards by August 11th.

They match them to applications over the next day or so.

Track will be suspended at 2pm on August 12th

Universities will have the results by 9pm August 12th.

It will take overnight for universities to load those results into their systems and produce the reports for people managing confirmation to run through. So university staff are likely to be working on the Saturday/Sunday before results day.

Every. Single. Confirmation Decision. Is done MANUALLY. A person at a university will sit there with your results alongside your offer conditions and will flag whether you've met your offer (accept), missed by miles (reject/pool for other courses), missed a bit (put into near miss pile for consideration once university/department/faculty situation is understood).

This is usually done by the end of Monday - then near miss decisions will be made.

Those decisions then get input onto the university applications system.

Someone else will cross check them.

Finally they'll be exported/sent to UCAS.

If they're with UCAS by 6pm Wednesday then they'll show up on Track on Thursday morning.
Yeah I suppose - extra requirements like STEP are harsh lol! I got lost just doing my GCSE in maths oops. Where is your crazy offer from? Is that also for maths? So glad all this results day angst is behind me :biggrin:
Yeah it is a bit crazy but I suppose it does say something when that's probably the easiest offer to obtain, otherwise you'll have to take STEP haha. Granted, my offer of A*A*AA isn't much better but I've decided to take a gap year instead and so I'm going to reject the offer on results day.

Yeah maths at Warwick. The offer is even higher at Cambridge which is crazy.

Is A*A*A* easier than A*A*AA?
Edit: I guess it is since it is 1 less A level so you can concentrate on it more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well good luck - will keep everything crossed for you!
Original post by target21859
Yeah maths at Warwick. The offer is even higher at Cambridge which is crazy.

Quick Reply