The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If we miss out on Pogba we miss out on the star quality that he has/will have but there are other options that fit the profile we need. Not a disaster but typical of our public pursuits.

I think we're okay at RB, Darmian looked fine at Euro 2016, and he looked capable in Serie A. If Jose runs the rule over him in training and decides he's happy with him then I'd trust his judgement, I think he may have just struggled in last years system at times.

The CB situation is an issue though. Rojo looks okay when he plays regularly, but he's not good enough to hold a starting spot and get injured often. When he comes back his judgment is all over the shop. Jones is garbage tbh, and unreliable. I think Jose sees Blind as a utility player, so possibly a fill in rather than specifically a back up CB. Problem is Jose doesn't really rotate that heavily. We could really do with an vet type defender, who isn't going to hold down a starting spot but is able to step in at short notice and perform for short periods. That is assuming Jose sees Smalling and Bailly as something he can work with.
Original post by Fizzel
If we miss out on Pogba we miss out on the star quality that he has/will have but there are other options that fit the profile we need. Not a disaster but typical of our public pursuits.

I think we're okay at RB, Darmian looked fine at Euro 2016, and he looked capable in Serie A. If Jose runs the rule over him in training and decides he's happy with him then I'd trust his judgement, I think he may have just struggled in last years system at times.

The CB situation is an issue though. Rojo looks okay when he plays regularly, but he's not good enough to hold a starting spot and get injured often. When he comes back his judgment is all over the shop. Jones is garbage tbh, and unreliable. I think Jose sees Blind as a utility player, so possibly a fill in rather than specifically a back up CB. Problem is Jose doesn't really rotate that heavily. We could really do with an vet type defender, who isn't going to hold down a starting spot but is able to step in at short notice and perform for short periods. That is assuming Jose sees Smalling and Bailly as something he can work with.

chiellini?
Don't think I really want Pogba. No doubt he'll end up being a top player at a top team (not to say Juve aren't but..Seria A y'no?), I just don't like him. Especially for figures being discussed.

As for step in CB, why couldn't Vidic just pick up his game and see out his career here :unimpressed:
Scenes when Pogba signs a new contract and you bring in Tom Cleverley on deadline day.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Scenes when Pogba signs a new contract and you bring in Tom Cleverley on deadline day.

Too bad they missed out on Joe Allen.
Original post by Lúcio
Too bad they missed out on Joe Allen.

How long before you get banned for repeated sexism and make a dupe called Allen is Bae
Does anyone think the Higuain deal has been financed by the Pogba deal? It is a bit uncharacteristic for an Italian club to spend that much.

If it has then we may see him move by the end of the week :biggrin:
Original post by difeo
How long before you get banned for repeated sexism and make a dupe called Allen is Bae

Ngl we aren't far off x
Original post by PugDevil
Does anyone think the Higuain deal has been financed by the Pogba deal? It is a bit uncharacteristic for an Italian club to spend that much.

They've got enough players to ship off to cover the deal even if Pogba stayed.

Hell of a transfer window. Alves, Benatia, Pjaca, Pjanic and Higuain.
Original post by Rk2k14
They've got enough players to ship off to cover the deal even if Pogba stayed.

Hell of a transfer window. Alves, Benatia, Pjaca, Pjanic and Higuain.

Yeah I think Serie A has already been decided :redface:

There is a rumour that medical for Pogba was decided upon and then put off by Pogba's agent. Reason cited being lack of agreement over his commission...

Supposedly that rumour is "out of spain" so reliable as ever yano.
Original post by Amphiprion
Don't think I really want Pogba. No doubt he'll end up being a top player at a top team (not to say Juve aren't but..Seria A y'no?), I just don't like him. Especially for figures being discussed.

As for step in CB, why couldn't Vidic just pick up his game and see out his career here :unimpressed:

Nah his career as a first teamer was finished, injuries had killed him.

Great defender and character though

Not sure but one thing I do find odd is how people are talking about us potentially breaking the world record when a player like Higuain goes for £75m or whatever.

That's a mental figure, he's not that great. He's a good striker but is he even top 5 (or even 10) in Europe?
Original post by zKlown
Not sure but one thing I do find odd is how people are talking about us potentially breaking the world record when a player like Higuain goes for £75m or whatever.

That's a mental figure, he's not that great. He's a good striker but is he even top 5 (or even 10) in Europe?

I agree; the transfer market development is absolutely ridiculous in the last few years.

Higuaín will be sold for more money than we sold Suarez for several years ago. That's painful to see really.
As you say, he's a great player but I wouldn't call him world class like you would call Suarez, Neymar, Bale, etc...
Reply 1813
Higuain scored 41 goals in 41 appearances last season, he's on a goal a game, even though he's 28 when you factor the fact that Italian clubs(Napoli in particular) are notoriously difficult to deal with for their best players and £75M is a correct fee(albeit a little overpriced).

Tell me a better striker in the market that's available now? Ibra went for free but he's 34 and out of contract(although having him come for free is a very good deal no questions asked). He'd also be on more money than Higuain, who is apparently on 120k a week, Ibra is on 200k so that's 4M a season. After 2 seasons that's 8M. You also get more out of Higuain and he actually has some resale value near the end of his contract(could easily sell him for 25-30M in a couple years if he's still on the goal a game hype) compared to Ibra who has close to nothing in that regard.

Higuain deal is also benefiting from the fact there are not many top strikers available and that clubs around europe clearly have been increasing their revenue, in particular the premier league and more lax rules on FFP.

Can't believe Real had Benzema and Higuain to their disposal and on top of that Alvaro Morata at one point. Crazy!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bammy jastard 27
£75M is a correct fee(albeit a little overpriced).

Reply 1815
Original post by Lúcio
I agree; the transfer market development is absolutely ridiculous in the last few years.

Higuaín will be sold for more money than we sold Suarez for several years ago. That's painful to see really.
As you say, he's a great player but I wouldn't call him world class like you would call Suarez, Neymar, Bale, etc...

Higuain has just gone off the back of a season where he's scored a goal a game in one of the top leagues.

Plus to add to that other than the 10/11 season(where he had an injury for half the season) he'd been getting 15+ league goals as a rotational option at Real Madrid.

Matter of fact is that to Napoli he's worth £75M, his goals are very difficult to replace for Napoli, even if there are strikers around(like Suarez/Costa/Ibra/Cavani/Lewandowski/Aubameyang/Aguero/Sturridge etc.) who have the ability to replicate that kind of form at their various clubs, matter of fact is that none of those players will be sold at this moment in time and not for less than £75M.
Reply 1816
Original post by difeo

In my view it's correct, as I'm looking at it in Napoli's perspective, it is overpriced in the sense that better strikers have gone for lower fees in previous years, but Napoli(rightly so) value him at £75M.

Also inflation and the euro is stronger against the pound compared to before so it would have probably been closer to £64M if this transfer took place earlier in the year, this obviously would have raised much less eyebrows, and also could be a factor to why transfer prices may seem obscene this year.

In fact this probably explains why Pogba is going to go for so much. The fee would have been closer to £85M earlier in the year but now it's looking like £100M when you adjust for exchange rates. Obviously the PL clubs have this money from TV deals that offset the fact the pound is weak as ****, but it's definitely a big factor to mention in these deals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Higuain scored 41 goals in 41 appearances last season, he's on a goal a game, even though he's 28 when you factor the fact that Italian clubs(Napoli in particular) are notoriously difficult to deal with for their best players and £75M is a correct fee(albeit a little overpriced).

Tell me a better striker in the market that's available now? Ibra went for free but he's 34 and out of contract(although having him come for free is a very good deal no questions asked). He'd also be on more money than Higuain, who is apparently on 120k a week, Ibra is on 200k so that's 4M a season. After 2 seasons that's 8M. You also get more out of Higuain and he actually has some resale value near the end of his contract(could easily sell him for 25-30M in a couple years if he's still on the goal a game hype) compared to Ibra who has close to nothing in that regard.

Higuain deal is also benefiting from the fact there are not many top strikers available and that clubs around europe clearly have been increasing their revenue, in particular the premier league and more lax rules on FFP.

Can't believe Real had Benzema and Higuain to their disposal and on top of that Alvaro Morata at one point. Crazy!

Juve also benefit from having one of the biggest bottlers in the world. He'll help them win the league (was nailed on even before he arrived), but will he do it in the Champions League? Doesn't have a good record in a competition which Juve need to excel in and on top of that is a grade A bottler.
Agree there isn't a pool of WC strikers available but £75million for a couple more league titles. Nah.

Edit: forgot about Morata
(edited 7 years ago)
Whichever way you look at it, Juve have been mugged off. Napoli's value of Gonzalo is irrelevant to his actual market worth (it's like me saying my PS4 is worth £900, and then somebody paying it and it's argued as a fair price). At least it'll take some of the heat off us with regards to the Pogba price though. Not to mention he goes missing in the big games, and with one established striker (Mandzukic) and one major prospect who's borderline established (Dybala), surely better value in the market could've been sourced, or even other areas strengthened as well (Cuadrado has gone for example).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1819
Original post by Rk2k14
Juve also benefit from having one of the biggest bottlers in the world. He'll help them win the league (was nailed on even before he arrived), but will he do it in the Champions League? Doesn't have a good record in competition and is a grade A bottler.

Dybala, Mandzukic and Morata. Didn't even need him lol.

Morata who got bought by Real Madrid due to a transfer clause in his contract, leaving them with 2 first team strikers to a team who uses 2 strikers for a large section of the season?