The Student Room Group

Need help asap about my course

Can anyone help me please or know of anything I can do. Basically I've just finished my second year at university, however I got withdrawn from my course, due to failing one exam and the other I resit 3 times and still didn't pass it. I have received a letter through the post too with a certificate for higher education. I really want to carry on at uni, even if it's not the course I was on. I have contacted my subject leaders about resitting the year however I haven't had any replies, I rang up today and found out the woman I emailed is away and not back until August the 15th, however it is very unlikely I can resit the year. I don't no what to do now, as I no alevel results are out August the 18th, and if I want to apply for a different course how do I go about this? Because I'm already in with student fiance and everything. It's a very messy situation and I just don't no where to start, I will hear back from my subject leader August the 15th regarding if I can resit the year or not, but it's very unlikely I can't. Can I still go back to the uni even if I have been withdrawn? As I've heard you can't do another course for a year? I just don't no what to do, I really want a degree and to stay at the university I am at now because of my friends and girlfriend. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do next and what will be the best route for me to go down, as I know even if I apply within clearing I still may not get a place.

If anyone could help me onto the right path that would be very appreciated please, I love the uni I am at and uni life and I don't want it to be over.

Scroll to see replies

If you have been awarded the Certificate in Higher Education then your registration with the uni is over and it is very unlikely that you can be reinstated unless there are serious mitigating circumstances for why you failed the year that you could not have claimed earlier. They would not have awarded the CertHE if you could just resit again.
If you get onto another course there will be financial problems as you have already used 2 years of funding.
Transfer to another university if you still have it in you - via clearing

* I was in a similar situation last year.*

You'll probably have to repeat the second year though*

Unis suck with those rules tho. With the uni thing you'll have to re evaluate how much u want to graduate. It's very unlikely for you to go there for the same course If you've been withdrawn. Also you're only entitled to 4 years of sfe (unless you have compleilling circumstances). I knows it's difficult coz I really wanted to graduate from my first institution, but I'm looking at the bigger picture.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I think you need to consider whether you are cut out for uni, failing an exam 3 times in a row, with no extenuating circumstances implies a significant misunderstanding or lack of appreciation for the course.
From the sounds of it the uni will not take you back.

The problem with starting again, is that SF only provides funding for your course +1 year. Assuming you're on a 3y course, you only have 2ys of funding left. You could try contacting unis about starting from year 2 but you'd have to see how successful that is.

Concentrate on your education, not where your friends are. If you've failed this badly, clearly those priorities are wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by Inazuma
I think you need to consider whether you are cut out for uni, failing an exam 3 times in a row, with no extenuating circumstances implies a significant misunderstanding or lack of appreciation for the course.
From the sounds of it the uni will not take you back.

The problem with starting again, is that SF only provides funding for your course +1 year. Assuming you're on a 3y course, you only have 2ys of funding left. You could try contacting unis about starting from year 2 but you'd have to see how successful that is.

Concentrate on your education, not where your friends are. If you've failed this badly, clearly those priorities are wrong.

I no why I failed due to family problems, and the uni even no that as I sent them an email regarding the email i sent a teacher on the day of an exam which I didn't turn up too. Is there no way at all I could go to my uni and do another course? The money thing isn't a problem I can sort that, I jsjt really wanna be there so so so bad.
Reply 5
Original post by magratgarlick
If you have been awarded the Certificate in Higher Education then your registration with the uni is over and it is very unlikely that you can be reinstated unless there are serious mitigating circumstances for why you failed the year that you could not have claimed earlier. They would not have awarded the CertHE if you could just resit again.
If you get onto another course there will be financial problems as you have already used 2 years of funding.

I no why I failed due to family problems, and the uni even no that as I sent them an email regarding the email i sent a teacher on the day of an exam which I didn't turn up too. Is there no way at all I could go to my uni and do another course? The money thing isn't a problem I can sort that, I jsjt really wanna be there so so so bad.
To do another course you will have to apply for a course like anyone else.
Reply 7
Original post by magratgarlick
To do another course you will have to apply for a course like anyone else.

I no but I don't no how to go about it, do I go onto UCAS and start again or do I contact my uni, and how do I no I defiantly could get on one as it would be Through clearing :frown:
Reply 8
You failed one exam three times, which would certainly be grounds for withdrawing you on its own. Unless you had extenuating circumstances for all three attempts (and submitted these before at least the second and third attempts) then I don't see any way in which you could carry on. You have already been allowed one more attempt than my current uni allows before requiring you to retake the entire module.

As you have a CertHE, your time at that uni is now at an end. You cannot continue on your course. If you can fund your own first year (including tuition fee) then you can reapply for a different course at another uni. However, they will expect an academic reference from your previous uni and that might not look very good as things stand.

If I were you, I'd forget uni for a few years. Get out into the working world and get some kind of professional and life experience. You can always come back to it later.*
You go through UCAS I think, but will go straight into clearing now. Do you know what degree you want to do? There is no guarantee you will get onto any course but at least you already have your A Levels or whatever so aren't waiting for results.
Original post by Sally126262
I no but I don't no how to go about it, do I go onto UCAS and start again or do I contact my uni, and how do I no I defiantly could get on one as it would be Through clearing :frown:

You would have to make a new Ucas application now, which would put you straight into Clearing. However, you must realise that you would have to fund the first year of any new course you were offered up front yourself in September. The formula for student finance is
length of course + 1 year - number of years already taken. This means in your case
3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years. The first year is always the self-funded year.

You do not sound in any state to make sensible decisions, either financial or educational, right now. I suggest taking a year out and getting a job, and making a careful plan about your next move, instead of blundering into something blindly. Unless you have substantial savings to pay your fees in September, this is not going to happen.
Original post by Klix88
You failed one exam three times, which would certainly be grounds for withdrawing you on its own. Unless you had extenuating circumstances for all three attempts (and submitted these before at least the second and third attempts) then I don't see any way in which you could carry on. You have already been allowed one more attempt than my current uni allows before requiring you to retake the entire module.

As you have a CertHE, your time at that uni is now at an end. You cannot continue on your course. If you can fund your own first year (including tuition fee) then you can reapply for a different course at another uni. However, they will expect an academic reference from your previous uni and that might not look very good as things stand.

If I were you, I'd forget uni for a few years. Get out into the working world and get some kind of professional and life experience. You can always come back to it later.*

You're a faster typist than I am!
Can anyone help me please or know of anything I can do. Basically I've just finished my second year at university, however I got withdrawn from my course, due to failing one exam and the other I resit 3 times and still didn't pass it. I have received a letter through the post too with a certificate for higher education. I really want to carry on at uni, even if it's not the course I was on. I have contacted my subject leaders about resitting the year however I haven't had any replies, I rang up today and found out the woman I emailed is away and not back until August the 15th, however it is very unlikely I can resit the year. I don't no what to do now, as I no alevel results are out August the 18th, and if I want to apply for a different course how do I go about this? Because I'm already in with student fiance and everything. It's a very messy situation and I just don't no where to start, I will hear back from my subject leader August the 15th regarding if I can resit the year or not, but it's very unlikely I can't. Can I still go back to the uni even if I have been withdrawn? As I've heard you can't do another course for a year? I just don't no what to do, I really want a degree and to stay at the university I am at now because of my friends and girlfriend. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do next and what will be the best route for me to go down, as I know even if I apply within clearing I still may not get a place.

What were your first year results like? If they were decent you might be able to get onto the second year of a course at another uni
Reply 13
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You would have to make a new Ucas application now, which would put you straight into Clearing. However, you must realise that you would have to fund the first year of any new course you were offered up front yourself in September. The formula for student finance is
length of course + 1 year - number of years already taken. This means in your case
3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years. The first year is always the self-funded year.

You do not sound in any state to make sensible decisions, either financial or educational, right now. I suggest taking a year out and getting a job, and making a careful plan about your next move, instead of blundering into something blindly. Unless you have substantial savings to pay your fees in September, this is not going to happen.

I don't want a job or anything yet, I just wanna do any course I can to stay there. Can I not have the first year of another course payed for then I pay for second and third? I don't understand what you meant.
Reply 14
Original post by <InsertUsername>
What were your first year results like? If they were decent you might be able to get onto the second year of a course at another uni

I have always gotten thirds and a few quite high ones
Original post by <InsertUsername>

This OP

Always look at the bigger picture. *
Reply 16
Original post by Klix88

How do you no that even if I got that certificate it means I can't carry on with that course if I have emailed them about a resit? I haven't heard anything from student fiance yet at all, just had that from the university
Also OP, TSR will probably give me a good dragging for this, but finding a decent job without a bachelors is extremely difficult. If you can evaluate where you went wrong, transfer to another uni to start year 2.
Reply 18
I don't want a job or anything yet, I just wanna do any course I can to stay there.

That's a really bad idea. And in any case, the CertHE is your uni's way of telling you that you're out. It's over at that particular uni. They don't want you there and it's time to move on.
Can I not have the first year of another course payed for then I pay for second and third? I don't understand what you meant.

No. I was in your situation and there is a set way that SF handle this. You pay for the first year yourself then *if* you stay the course, SF will fund the rest of the degree.
I don't want a job or anything yet, I just wanna do any course I can to stay there. Can I not have the first year of another course payed for then I pay for second and third? I don't understand what you meant.

I'm afraid that isn't how Student Finance works, no. Those are the rules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending