The Student Room Group

Getting FO investment banking internship as engineering student

Hi,

I am about to start my engineering course at uni. Generally speaking, I would like to explore various possible options available to me, as I don't know whether I should go for engineering job, consulting or banking. I am going to study at UCL, and I have completed investment banking internship at a middle market boutique(M&A Advisory), internship at Hay group consulting and at small Venture capital fund. I was also admitted to BCG mentoring and professional development program in Poland. I'm "analytical" type of engineering student, I like maths&physics and I would like to learn more about their application to real world, surrounding us. Do you think I may stand a chance to get FO internship at BB, to get greater exposure to this type of work? I liked my internship in M&A advisory
Seeing as you've already had an IB internship I don't see it as very hard that you'll get another one
Reply 2
Yes you have a good chance. You go to a university that is targeted by banks and the subject you study doesn't matter at all to banks. Plus, you have previous experience which is great. Tbh maths isn't really applied that much to M&A- you'll only use basic maths. However, in trading (also front office) you might use more complicated maths.
You're kidding right? You've already done multiple relevant internships (one in buy side of all things) pre-uni while most other candidates don't have that privilege and you're going to a target uni, of course you stand a chance.
Original post by riko232
Hi,

I am about to start my engineering course at uni. Generally speaking, I would like to explore various possible options available to me, as I don't know whether I should go for engineering job, consulting or banking. I am going to study at UCL, and I have completed investment banking internship at a middle market boutique(M&A Advisory), internship at Hay group consulting and at small Venture capital fund. I was also admitted to BCG mentoring and professional development program in Poland. I'm "analytical" type of engineering student, I like maths&physics and I would like to learn more about their application to real world, surrounding us. Do you think I may stand a chance to get FO internship at BB, to get greater exposure to this type of work? I liked my internship in M&A advisory

Erm, you've done an internship in investment banking already and you have other internships and are studying a strong subject. Yet you think your chances are low?

Come on, get some confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You're kidding right? You've already done multiple relevant internships (one in buy side of all things) pre-uni while most other candidates don't have that privilege and you're going to a target uni, of course you stand a chance.

I swear this is a humble brag

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by riko232
Hi,

Yep solid chance, just work on your SW applications opening next week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Its not. I have heard of people having much better CVs and having trouble with getting an internship at BB.
Original post by Princepieman
I swear this is a humble brag

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by riko232
Its not. I have heard of people having much better CVs and having trouble with getting an internship at BB.

You'll be fine mate, just apply and stop worrying so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by riko232
If you mean picking one BB to apply to for internships then yes you will struggle, that's why you apply to all of them. You'll get tons of interviews with a CV like that but at that point it becomes more about how you perform in said interviews with your CV becoming pretty much irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending