The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Why are world university rankings different to UK rankings?

For example on the QS world uni rankings Manchester is 33rd in the world but only 25th in the UK while St Andrews is 5th in the UK but 68th in the world.
A university may be known as one of the best in the U.K. but has no global presence.
Besides these rankings are a load of ****.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by modnar
For example on the QS world uni rankings Manchester is 33rd in the world but only 25th in the UK while St Andrews is 5th in the UK but 68th in the world.

Because there are other universities in the World outside of the U.K. which score above certain UK unis in the world rankings...
Reply 3
Different criteria
Reply 4
Original post by Platopus
Because there are other universities in the World outside of the U.K. which score above certain UK unis in the world rankings...

He knows that lmao
Original post by difeo
He knows that lmao

Then why is he asking this question?
Reply 6
Then why is he asking this question?

You've misunderstood the question. What he's asking is how St Andrews can be way above Manchester in the UK, but way below in the world
Because nationally they are ranked on things like student satisfaction, which is why you have the likes of Lancaster and Loughborough in the top 10 lmfao.
Reply 8

I understand that but why are some like universities like Manchester placed so much higher than St Andrews for example in the world rankings while its 20 places below in the UK rankings. Do they use different criteria to measure how good they are or is because some are better known...
Original post by difeo
You've misunderstood the question. What he's asking is how St Andrews can be way above Manchester in the UK, but way below in the world

Oh right, my bad. And you are correct, they gave different criteria.
Reply 10
Oh right, my bad. And you are correct, they gave different criteria.

Haha it's ok, is that the only reason? I just guessed but it still seems strange how they can be placed so differently :colonhash:
Original post by modnar
Haha it's ok, is that the only reason? I just guessed but it still seems strange how they can be placed so differently :colonhash:

I think so. Results can vary widely, if you emphasise/exclude different categories. That's why rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Original post by modnar

St Andrews is very small and hence generates far less research than somewhere like Manchester. St Andrews has very high student satisfaction which seems to carry more weight in the UK rankings.

RG unis probably have more worldwide name recognition as well and St Andrews isn't in the Russell Group.
Reply 13
UK rankings suck, in all honesty. Student satisfaction is volatile and unreliable...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending