The Student Room Group

Was Merkels refugee policy a mistake?

Poll

Has your opinion on Merkels migrant crisis policy changed?

I am interested to see if thoughts have changed since this was initially announced a while back in relation to Germany and the EU handling of the migrant crisis in which Germany has taken over 1 million refugees and migrants

Most interested in poll results than rehashing old arguments. Interested to hear views predominantly from people who's views have changed.

Poll included
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The way it was done was a mistake. They should've been brought in smaller number, with a more thorough process to ensure those who needed it the most were accepted. This has been my opinion since the beginning, but ultimately I don't have an issue with accepting refugees.
Original post by Lord Samosa
The way it was done was a mistake. They should've been brought in smaller number, with a more thorough process to ensure those who needed it the most were accepted. This has been my opinion since the beginning, but ultimately I don't have an issue with accepting refugees.

Cheers. I found it interesting that those who have been denied aslyum are given a while before Germany deports them to the country they are supposed to be at, as was the case recently. Do people think this is a mistake on Germanys part?
I think it was the right thing to do. I think we should accept more refugees. We have a hand in what's happened and happening in the middle east. If we don't step up to our humanitarian duty then we shouldn't interfere in other countries. I still praise Merkel for her generosity.
Reply 4
Open door policy and free for all are flawed. it attracts too many economic migrants rather than supporting humanitarian reasons. Merkel should have coordinated policy with other EU members rather than going alone. She meant it well, but executed policy poorly. Even within her party CDU/CSU, it was hugely controversial.

Even last year when Merkel opened doors to refugees, German Security Service BND warned that ISIS sends some sleeper agents to Germany for terrorist attacks. Germany did not do due diligene and accepted all Syrians. Among hundred of thousands Syrians, only 25 Syrian asylum seekers were rejected. Deported: 0.

Regional Mecklenburg election coming up in September, Merkel's CDU party is expected to get hammered.
(edited 7 years ago)
^ Cheers Bill remember to vote, trying to build a general picture
Nothing against the rules here. There is no acceptable reason why it could have been deleted.

Lets hope that doesnt happen again.

By the way: the first poll answer should start with "Yes" instead of "No", because the question asks if Merkels policy was a mistake.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Cheers. I found it interesting that those who have been denied aslyum are given a while before Germany deports them to the country they are supposed to be at, as was the case recently. Do people think this is a mistake on Germanys part?

Yes, having a rigorous process from the start would've avoided that. I just feel it was too rushed, the intention was good (wanting to help people), but it needed better planning. Now we have a few criminals that have come causing problems, for Germans and for the rest of the genuine refugees (as the anti-refugee sentiment makes it tougher for them to adapt).
Inviting a potentially unlimited number of refugees whose style of life is not only radically different than but opposes your own was only ever going to end in disaster. It's a shame German lives have been lost
Reply 9
One of the worst political descisions made in recent European history and one that will be biting this continent in the arse for many, many years to come.
Reply 10
Original post by Bill_Gates
I think it was the right thing to do. I think we should accept more refugees. We have a hand in what's happened and happening in the middle east. If we don't step up to our humanitarian duty then we shouldn't interfere in other countries. I still praise Merkel for her generosity.

Yes, it's no secret that the West has a hand in the destruction of their countries, and many of them harbour a deep hatred towards the West for it. Which is why it is a REALLY ****ing bad idea to import millions of them into Western countries!
It was obvious at the time that it was a catastrophe waiting to happen, and so it has proved.

Admitting that number of people so quickly merely ceded control of the borders, encouraged more to come, encouraged ISIS to infiltrate them, and encouraged more economic migrants to infiltrate them.

Europe could not cope with the numbers generally, and certainly cannot cope with the number of immigrants highly unlikely ever to be properly assimilated into democratic western European society. The resultant crime wave will be a problem for years to come, as will the cost of the operation.

It is specious in the extreme to claim that the west is to blame for the collapse of Middle Eastern society. Many countries caused their own downfalls with uprisings against authoritarian governments, only to impose either more authoritarianism or Islamism on themselves. In Egypt's case they did both in quick succession. Many in the west thought the Arab Spring would bring democracy to the area but that was just a naive hope; Islamic countries do not want democracy - it is anathema to them.

It is foolish to expect people who were unable to form a civilised and stable nation on their own territory to come to Europe and not contribute to instability here, through sheer numbers, social non-cohesion, lawlessness or an attempt to give Islam a greater influence.

Britain's stance and actions have been commendable: admit only small numbers, heavily subsidise the local neighbours to enable them to cope and lobby the nasty hypocritical ones like Saudi Arabia.
It was the most catastrophic policy decision made by a German Chancellor since Operation Barbarossa.

I thought that at the time, and as the European Union starts to rip itself apart and with a very real risk of fascism re-emerging on the continent, I haven't changed my mind.
I am interested to see if thoughts have changed since this was initially announced a while back in relation to Germany and the EU handling of the migrant crisis in which Germany has taken over 1 million refugees and migrants

Most interested in poll results than rehashing old arguments. Interested to hear views predominantly from people who's views have changed.

Poll included

Why was your other thread deleted? :colonhash:
Original post by NickLCFC
Why was your other thread deleted? :colonhash:

I have no idea, how a poll on this topic can be against some rules i will never know. It doesnt help that no explanation is forthcoming either
No chance that 70% of people were originally against Merkels policy on here, It was extremely divided
For those that supported her policy, cast your votes you big slugs!
http://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/interview/terror-expert-europe-can-survive-isis-without-electing-nutjobs/

Could the recent attacks in Germany have an impact on the country’s asylum policy?

There is a perception that the attacks are linked to the welcoming of refugees to Germany. But it is the job of policymakers and the media to help the population understand the difference. If there are 500,000 Syrian refugees and one of them stabs someone that is not something that policy should be dealing with. It is a crime and it should be investigated by the police. And, by the way, the average Syrian refugee commits fewer crimes than the average German citizen.
Mass non-White immigration that has transformed Europe has been a mistake and yet it is racism to oppose, because opposing genocide of Whites is racism

They teach you to be proud of it.. diversity is strength

Whites need to think about their own people, their own interests and future. As things stand, we have none...

Poll included

In my opinion, ABSOLUTELY and now we are flooded with economic migrants, who are practically unskilled
Original post by Bill_Gates

1. Are you going to personally pay for all of the migrants?

2. How many incidents of rape, sexual assault, murder, acts of terrorism etc. would you be willing to accept in order to save your unquantified number of migrants? Don't say none, as has been shown in Germany and elsewhere, if you bring these people in, a % of them will engage in the stated acts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending