The Student Room Group

Should I start revising in September for GCSEs

I'm not smart enough to get As so I'm not really aiming that high, so like Bs and Cs

Tbh I can pretty much JUST past all my GCSEs in September but I want to try and give off my best

The reason why I thought of revising at the start of September for GCSEs because I don't want to regret later on weeks before GCSEs in 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starting revision in September could be a gain or a loss, as you may revise now but then forget stuff later. When are your mocks, because if you revise for your mocks like GCSEs and then carry on afterwards up to your GCSEs. You could start making your notes and flashcards in September, so they're ready for possibly December maybe. But starting early, means you could get top grades :smile:
Reply 2
No harm in getting yourself into a good routine, like doing half hour of flash cards after school each day or something:smile: even if you forget some of it, you will find it easier to re-learn because you've seen the content before
Reply 3
I would not advice revision so early on! You will most likely not remember most of the content. I would advice producing the most informative and concise notes possible. (spider diagrams, revision cards etc.). I have mocks early this academic year so I will start light revision- nothing too major.
Reply 4
I have another mock in around Late Nov-Dec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tracey_km
I have another mock in around Late Nov-Dec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would recommend doing little and often, increasingly more until the exams. Try to make notes on the stuff that you didn't quite get in class, and just start building up notes in general. It'll save from doing that near revision time! You can use the same materials for the actual exams! If you're behind in any subjects, take this time to catch up, because when you go back, you'll be starting the Year 11 work, and you won't be looking back at the Year 9/10 work until you start having revision lessons. Of course, don't overwork yourself, and don't get too stressed. [like me :frown: XD]
I'm not smart enough to get As so I'm not really aiming that high, so like Bs and Cs

Tbh I can pretty much JUST past all my GCSEs in September but I want to try and give off my best

The reason why I thought of revising at the start of September for GCSEs because I don't want to regret later on weeks before GCSEs in 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you are. If you accept that you are not smart enough, you wont be. I'm in the same position as you, I'm in Y11 after seven weeks, but I'm producing my notes now. Start your notes now, this will reduce exam pressure and will save time.
PS:
You can do anything you want if you are willing to sacrifice your time and energy into it. Honestly, you have to think positve and don't let anyone tell you what you are. You're the only person who can be you and whatever cynics say, ***k them.
I was considered as unintelligent. But I realised that an important quality to have is that hope which fuels your motivation, which is the basic foundation of success.
I have a plan which may be useful for you:

7 WEEK holiday:
----------------------
2 weeks - Complete all triple science notes
1 week - Complete all maths notes + Computing
1 week- Complete all English lit/lang notes + Sociology

3 weeks: Create a timetable of revision and do so. In the end of the week do a mock exam. (Divide Triple Science into these three weeks. So do core in week one, double science in week 2 and triple science in week three.)

The main goal is to do your notes properly and in the end, before revising, to check to see if your notes are accurate.
Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do NOT start in September, you will burn out and lose all motivation before your real exams! At the beginning of yr 11, you should focus on coursework as it can really help you if you already have a good grade before walking into the exam. If you really want to start in september, just slowly make resources like revision cards or learn some vocab for languages. You should only really start intense revision just before easter.
Best of luck!:biggrin:

I know this is a bit early but the best advice I have is around april/beginning of may do LOTS of past papers for your subjects, especially for science and maths in which they regurgitate the questions, just in a different format.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Start revising from the new year and go at a good pace, otherwise start March/April....starting from May would kill you...
Original post by sulaimanali
Start revising from the new year and go at a good pace, otherwise start March/April....starting from May would kill you...

hi, iv'e got my gcse this year but what is a good pace! like 2 hours a day or two topics??;0 so worried
Reply 10
Ahh lool more people are adding to the discussion. I’ve now finished GCSEs and I’m now in year 13 currently doing A level Biology, Psychology and Sociology. In GCSEs I received 2 As/A*s 4 Bs and 2 Cs 🤷🏾*♀️✌🏾😉

Quick Reply

Latest