The Student Room Group

English literature pro and cons

I wanted to do physics instead but my father picked English literature instead I am not sure whether I can change.If I cannot what are the pro and cons of doing English lit a level?How does it compare with GCSE English literature.I am working currently at A/A* at the moment.My a level options are chemistry,biology,maths and English literature.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous1502
I wanted to do physics instead but my father picked English literature instead I am not sure whether I can change.If I cannot what are the pro and cons of doing English lit a level?How does it compare with GCSE English literature.I am working currently at A/A* at the moment.My a level options are chemistry,biology,maths and English literature.
Tell the school you plan on not attending English Lit. lessons, out of protest - unless they change you to the subject you want to study.

As for the subject itself, it's pointless and stupid. If you like literature, read books.

And as for your father, tell him to **** himself - you're the one studying, not him.
Original post by Tootles
Tell the school you plan on not attending English Lit. lessons, out of protest - unless they change you to the subject you want to study.

As for the subject itself, it's pointless and stupid. If you like literature, read books.

And as for your father, tell him to **** himself - you're the one studying, not him.

I am going to sixth form next year, however this school requests early applications.He only chose English lit because he thought I am good at english literature.
Reply 3
I am going to sixth form next year, however this school requests early applications.He only chose English lit because he thought I am good at english literature.
It's one of those subjects that is totally useless, unless you're going to go on to be an English teacher. Literally. It makes no difference to your life whether you pass or fail.

Take it from a fantasy author who left school with an E in the subject :wink:
Original post by Tootles
It's one of those subjects that is totally useless, unless you're going to go on to be an English teacher. Literally. It makes no difference to your life whether you pass or fail.

Take it from a fantasy author who left school with an E in the subject :wink:

Is your name on the 'Best Seller's List' in Waterstones yet?

Do not pick a subject you do not enjoy. If you don't enjoy English Lit at GCSE, then you'd be foolish to listen or let your dad make your decisions for you. You're more likely to excel in a subject you like than one you really can't stand.

Any reasons why your dad wants you to study Lit instead of Physics?

There's plenty of threads on TSR with the same line of questioning. Type in the search box in the right hand corner "what is A-level English Literature like" and you'll get some threads with other users' opinions on it.
Reply 6
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Is your name on the 'Best Seller's List' in Waterstones yet?
It was on Amazon for a couple of weeks.

My point isn't 'oh I'm an author,' it's that literature is something to learn about yourself, and even take part in, even if you fail/son't study.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do not pick a subject you do not enjoy. If you don't enjoy English Lit at GCSE, then you'd be foolish to listen or let your dad make your decisions for you. You're more likely to excel in a subject you like than one you really can't stand.

There's plenty of threads on TSR with the same line of questioning. Type in the search box in the right hand corner "what is A-level English Literature like" and you'll get some threads with other users' opinions on it.

He doesn't think I will be able to manage doing 3 sciences and 1 maths.

The things is I really do enjoy English lit but it is not very useful and I will close to door on engineering if I don't choose physics.
Get in touch with the school asap and change it to physics! Its more useful and a more fulfilling subject especially if its your strength!
Original post by tomofphysics
Get in touch with the school asap and change it to physics! Its more useful and a more fulfilling subject especially if its your strength!

I now just ended year 10 with a B in Physics hopefully in year 11 I can get an A/A* I am not sure whether it is my strength the teaching has been very poor but now I am studying one my own using useful videos textbook etc so I am improving so I can improve.I believe that if I want something enough I will go and get it.I am working at an A/A* in English lit.But I feel like I can prepare myself for a physics exan while in English lit you might get screwed and a hard text could come up.
The things is I really do enjoy English lit but it is not very useful and I will close to door on engineering if I don't choose physics.

If you dont think its useful then you've found your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
no subject is useless , one doesnt learn eng lit just to get on nyc best seller or whaterver for two weeks . there are plenty of things you can learn from english literature ...just because the technologies are growing and people are runing behind the computers and machines like sheeps , it doesnt mean that the other subjects have lost their uniqueness and also learning english lit it not just about communication skills , and if you think that the world will run with or without these lit things ...just imagine a world where man runs behind computer and robots and exactly for what ??? i will never say that eng lit isnt for the best but it all is in your hands , if you like physics then you should go for that , becoz your going to learn .....but calling eng lit useless is really hilarious !! ....
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending