The Student Room Group

Blood in my stool I'm 16

I'm on the verge of tears.

Scroll to see replies

Call the NHS helpline.
It's 111.
If you haven't eaten a lot of beetroots recently then yeah, go to the doctors.
Original post by Anonymous

What colour is it? If it's black like coffee grounds this is could be indicative of bleeding up in the GI tract and you would need to see a doctor immediately. If it's fresh and bright red that's not as concerning but book an appointment with your GP or call NHS 111.
Get an emergency appointment with your doctor it could be an early indication of recital cancer (I don't mean to scare you) but it could also be nothing hope your ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It was bright red
Was it in your stool or on the paper?
It was bright red

That's less concerning, but I would book an appointment with your GP soon just in case. I've had blood in my poop before and I haven't seen my gp about it and I'm still fine, it went away on its own.

Are you a male or female ? Also call the doctors and tell you parents ASAP.
Reply 9
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
Was it in your stool or on the paper?

It was in my stool
Original post by nisha.sri
Are you a male or female ? Also call the doctors and tell you parents ASAP.

Female.. I'm going to the GP tomorrow morning
It was in my stool

It could be piles, that is probably the most common cause. Get it checked out, that's the safest bet.
Female.. I'm going to the GP tomorrow morning

Are you on your period ? Maybe it's very strong ? But yes do go :smile: Hope your better. Did you tell your parents
It was bright red

I've had this and it turned out to be*Haemorrhoids caused by*constipation. Definitely see your GP asap incase it's anything more serious though.
Original post by nisha.sri
Are you on your period ? Maybe it's very strong ? But yes do go :smile: Hope your better. Did you tell your parents

Yes ...
I think it's Haemorrhoids because I usually sit down for a prolonged time. Thanks
Yes ...
I think it's Haemorrhoids because I usually sit down for a prolonged time. Thanks
Sounds about right.

That's the problem I have, having IBS - blood in my stool is such a common thing that if I developed a more... serious condition, I probably wouldn't even notice.
It could simply be an anal tear which could be caused by constipation and large passings of stool, it happened to me once and it stopped after a few days after it healed.
This isn't particularly correct. Colour of the blood does not indicate urgency of the problem.
Original post by Etomidate
This isn't particularly correct. Colour of the blood does not indicate urgency of the problem.

Well, I never claimed to be a medical professional on here but thats what the NHS 111 told me. If you know different please elaborate for the benefit of all
Large volumes are concerning regardless of colour. Feeling systemically unwell is concerning regardless of colour.

If you're having abdominal pain, fever and profuse amounts of fresh red blood, I wouldn't be reassured by the fact that it's bright red.

Bit of common sense is required. Unfortunately this is something that NHS Direct lacks.

Quick Reply

Latest