The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To be fair, if I was rehoused in the middle of god-knows-nowhere with zero job prospects, I'd be unhappy too.

Of course, if they move enough migrants up there, they can always form their own secluded vibrant communities by themselves. Is that what people want?
Original post by AlexanderHam
The refugees admit the inhabitants of the island were extremely nice to them.

And I'm still unsure how their attitude justifies the ingratitude. If they are true refugees, fleeing violence and oppression, they would be glad to be in such a quiet, peaceful beautiful place.

Exactly. But we were the evil white male patriarchy that plundered the rest of the morally perfect world remember, nothing generous or tolerant about us, so it will be poetic justice when we get it back.....'unts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by S.c.d
Lets switch this around:

You have to leave the UK.
I'm going to put you in a small village 20km outside Salalah in Oman.
Chances are you haven't even heard of Salalah and maybe not even Oman.

There's a good chance you can't speak Arabic, let alone the local dialect.

There are jobs where English speaking is a bonus - but you're 20km outside of a quiet port town with no transport, no contacts and you're relying on charity.

Do you have any complaints?
Maybe I could have put you somewhere more sensible?
Are you being set up to fail?

I know I would be frustrated.

Sod off. I'd probably be decapitated within a day, get a disease, or caught in war. The locals would make no effort to be 'culturally enriched' by me or see me as diversity, maybe they would enforce militant islam on me. Why are you making this preposterous comparison? What a Syrian gets going to Bute is heaven on earth in comparison. I'm really tired of extreme left-liberals, they are now contributing to our civlizational threat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Sod off. I'd probably be decapitated within a day, get a disease, or caught in war. The locals would make no effort to be 'culturally enriched' by me or see me as diversity, maybe they would enforce militant islam on me. Why are you making this preposterous comparison? What a Syrian gets going to Bute is heaven on earth in comparison. I'm really tired of extreme left-liberals, they are now contributing to our civlizational threat.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.
" The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) describes the law and order situation in Oman as "generally good". Incidence of street crime is low. Violent crime occurs, but is extremely low compared to the United States"

The government travel advice for France and Germany is much more worrying than the advice for traveling to Oman.

"The locals would make no effort to be 'culturally enriched' by me or see me as diversity, maybe they would enforce militant islam on me"

This is a disgusting statement - If anyone here doesn't see what's wrong with it explaining it won't help.

You are a moron.
Original post by S.c.d
Careful, your ignorance is showing.
" The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) describes the law and order situation in Oman as "generally good". Incidence of street crime is low. Violent crime occurs, but is extremely low compared to the United States"

The government travel advice for France and Germany is much more worrying than the advice for traveling to Oman.

"The locals would make no effort to be 'culturally enriched' by me or see me as diversity, maybe they would enforce militant islam on me"

This is a disgusting statement - If anyone here doesn't see what's wrong with it explaining it won't help.

You are a moron.

Or a true one? Do I need to be reprogrammed?
Ok, it's better than France or Germany. Are you happy to spend time there?
Why are you talking about street crime? I'm talking culture and what it would be like for me to live there. There's probably no street crime because of militant islamists, doesn't mean I wish to go there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
I
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Or a true one? Do I need to be reprogrammed?
Ok, it's better than France or Germany. Are you happy to spend time there?
Why are you talking about street crime? I'm talking culture and what it would be like for me to live there. There's probably no street crime because of militant islamists, doesn't mean I wish to go there.

I've just seen your thread where you claim NATO is pro EU and conducting terror attacks and pretending to be ISIS to make people afraid of refugees.

You're a moron conspiracy theorist.

I encourage everyone to look through this guy's posting history - he's a loon.
Original post by Dez
There's no law in place saying that refugees must act happy and gracious every moment they live in the country.
There is no law :
but, most surely, they should

public opinion is turning against them, and this could be a serious problem for them in the future
Original post by AlexanderHam
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/syrian-refugees-resettled-on-remote-scottish-island-of-bute-comp/

The Bute local authority volunteered to house these people, and they are also permitted to work so nothing is stopping them going to Manchester or Glasgow. Of course that would mean actually getting a job rather than expecting everything to be handed to them.

I'm so ****ing sick of these people. Two of the three violent/terrorist incidents in Germany this month were carried out by refugees. It was a mistake to let them in, they clearly despise us and our culture anyway.

Send them back to Syria where bombs blow up their houses, that's ****ing exciting. ****ing cowards fled and in Scotland they moan ****ing *****

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They've been granted residence in a free country, one in which they are free to express opinions and ideas as they please. There's no law in place saying that refugees must act happy and gracious every moment they live in the country.You're right, there is no law; however, it is common sense not to publicly present such views at a time when anti-refugee sentiment is running high in terms of a large amount people wanting either minimal or no refugees permitted entry into Britain. It certainly does not help their counterparts, especially those seeking asylum in Britain from outside. So it was poor judgement to go to the press with this, which is what people are pointing out.

Being granted asylum isn't a magical cure-all for everything, of course they're going to run into problems. From reading TFA they seem pretty genuine. Simply dismissing complaints with a be-grateful-for-what-you-have attitude is exactly the sort of thing that leads to marginalisation; forcing people to live as outcasts is always going to cause strife.

People are free to be critical of the views these people have gone to the press with; that's not "forcing people to live as outcasts".

They have never paid into the UK system and were citizens of another sovereign nation. Britain decided to offer them safety, shelter and amenities out of humanity - and rightfully so if it prevents harm to innocents. I don't see what's wrong with criticising ungratefulness (especially in the form of going to the press) in the face of this gesture.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
An update: Seems the refugee's words might have been completely twisted by the right-wing news. Quelle surprise. http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/daily-mail-refugee-smear-exposed.html

Original post by mariachi
There is no law :
but, most surely, they should

public opinion is turning against them, and this could be a serious problem for them in the future

A "serious problem"? So what, they have to be completely silent and docile or else they'll get what's coming to them?

Original post by Grand High Witch
People are free to be critical of the views these people have gone to the press with; that's not "forcing people to live as outcasts".

Being critical is one thing, bombarding them with hate is quite another. In this very thread several posters have advocated bombing their homes. Does that seem right to you?
Original post by Dez
So what, they have to be completely silent and docile or else they'll get what's coming to them?
they will simply be considered ungrateful (and quite rightly so)

public opinion will turn against them, and they will face more and more problems with their demands for refugee/asylum status, or in their integration into society (if this is their aim)

that's all
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Dez
Being critical is one thing, bombarding them with hate is quite another. In this very thread several posters have advocated bombing their homes. Does that seem right to you?

I don't get it. I'm all for being critical of the situation in Germany, and the appalling way migrant rapes have been shoved under the rug, for instance, but these refugees aren't harming anyone. There seems to be this strange notion that because they came from a terrible situation, anything relatively nice and safe should be good enough for them. As if your initial circumstances put a cap on how much enjoyment of life you can have in the future, and as if people should just alter their real opinions and pretend they are happy. One of them tried to kill himself and had been tortured for God's sake, and people act like they're nothing but freeloading ingrates.
Reply 72
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
If I may play devil's advocate imagine being housed in a really nice but culturally and linguistically different island off India, or China, or Indonesia, and there's no other or few British families.

Still, it's pretty tactless to moan that the refuge on offer isn't good enough.

There's plenty to do in the western isles if you look and participate with the community. There is work available surely?

Maybe they really are just city people, but it's worrying that they seemingly want to just move to some Muslim ghetto where they don't have to learn English.

True, I think it's just human nature the guy wanted to work because he probably wasn't used to not working when his country was safe and tabloid papers such as the daily mail should feel ashamed of themselves at least the UK government does background checks of who is allowed into the country and the refugees are directly taken from refugee camps so they are genuine
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I don't get it. I'm all for being critical of the situation in Germany, and the appalling way migrant rapes have been shoved under the rug, for instance, but these refugees aren't harming anyone. There seems to be this strange notion that because they came from a terrible situation, anything relatively nice and safe should be good enough for them. As if your initial circumstances put a cap on how much enjoyment of life you can have in the future, and as if people should just alter their real opinions and pretend they are happy. One of them tried to kill himself and had been tortured for God's sake, and people act like they're nothing but freeloading ingrates.

Personally I don't see why the fact that they've been given something means they suddenly can't be critical of that thing. If I invited someone to stay in my house, then gave them a couple of rags and told them to sleep in the basement, they'd definitely have cause to complain.
Reply 74
Original post by Dez
If I invited someone to stay in my house, then gave them a couple of rags and told them to sleep in the basement, they'd definitely have cause to complain.

That's definitely not the case here.
Original post by Dez
An update: Seems the refugee's words might have been completely twisted by the right-wing news. Quelle surprise. http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/daily-mail-refugee-smear-exposed.html

There is no evidence that the refugees didn't say what they were quoted as saying. None.

In your link some bleeding heart virtue signaller says:

it's fairly unlikely he said something like this the deliberate misinterpretation of that grief by the DM is designed to incite hatred by making the family appear ungrateful

No quote from the man himself saying he has been misquoted. Nothing to say that it wasn't a true and faithful representation.
Reply 76
Original post by generallee
There is no evidence that the refugees didn't say what they were quoted as saying. None.

In your link some bleeding heart virtue signaller says:

it's fairly unlikely he said something like this the deliberate misinterpretation of that grief by the DM is designed to incite hatred by making the family appear ungrateful

No quote from the man himself saying he has been misquoted. Nothing to say that it wasn't a true and faithful representation.

Did you read the other article he linked?

It's pretty easy to quote someone out of context or to deliberately arrange an interview to fit a certain agenda. And it's ridiculously common too, not just in the papers but pretty much anywhere in the media.

Also I didn't say they had been misquoted and neither does the blog article.
Original post by Dez
Did you read the other article he linked?

It's pretty easy to quote someone out of context or to deliberately arrange an interview to fit a certain agenda. And it's ridiculously common too, not just in the papers but pretty much anywhere in the media.

Also I didn't say they had been misquoted and neither does the blog article.

The blog article quotes someone (allegedly close to the refugees) who says that she finds it "unlikely" that he said what he was quoted as saying.

That is worthless. Who care what she thinks is or isn't likely?

It seems eminently credible that some of the refugees are unhappy in their new home. They come from a very backward country and culture, but it is their country and culture and they will find Scotland very alien by comparison. And we know that Muslims find it very hard to integrate into western societies. Not just in the first, but even in succeeding generations.

The question is, will this unhappiness manifest itself in anti social behaviour, as it has in Germany?

I fear it will but would love to be proven wrong.
Reply 78
The blog article quotes someone (allegedly close to the refugees) who says that she finds it "unlikely" that he said what he was quoted as saying.

That is worthless. Who care what she thinks is or isn't likely?

I think you're reading too much into this, when really all there is to interpret is that the situation isn't black and white.

It seems eminently credible that some of the refugees are unhappy in their new home. They come from a very backward country and culture, but it is their country and culture and they will find Scotland very alien by comparison. And we know that Muslims find it very hard to integrate into western societies. Not just in the first, but even in succeeding generations.

You're inventing ideas out of thin air here.

The question is, will this unhappiness manifest itself in anti social behaviour, as it has in Germany?

Are you really comparing the situation in Germany to the Scottish isles? Seriously? :lolwut:
The mods rejected my post. If it was incivility or insults that's one thing, I apologize. However if it was because I have the wrong opinions I am appalled. I will post again to defend myself, all I did was point out his lies deployed in the argument where he called me a conspiracy theorist, with genuine irrefutable evidence. It may not be in this case, but it seems there are too many people who flat out hate free expression and truth if it doesn't conform to their views.

Can you tell me the truth, did SCD get you to shut it down because I blatantly showed him to be a liar and he lost the argument? Are you willing to allow people to be lied about and not defend themselves with the truth just because you will only allow one side of a debate on refugees, even when my views were relatively moderate, my anger was directed at the lies of SCD.

Here, SCD is the paragraph again. I am being perfectly civil, just pointing out that the guy lied about me to support his agenda.

I even saw some maddening man on RT saying the latest attacks in Germany were false flag by Nato. Why the hell would establishment spin against the EU and against neoliberalism and mass migration, when all the evidence is them spinning in the opposite direction?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4226618

Proving that I was refuting the opinion, not agreeing with it. Thankyou, and I hope TSR doesn't continue in the creepy direction of thought policing and censorship of honest people.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending