The Student Room Group

Any point in 5 subjects at AS?

Is there any point in doing 5 just for the sake of it?
Reply 1
Original post by Lucofthewoods

No. It's a silly idea.
Better to focus your efforts on 4 AS Levels and get decent grades. AABB, for example, is better than ABBBB for the purpose of getting into University.

Do 4, get decent grades, drop one before A Level. Absolutely no need to do any more than that.
You can if you want but there's no real advantage in comparison to others if you do five

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Only bother if you genuinely love all 5 subjects and need to do a year of AS to decide which 3/4 you love more than the other 1/2 to carry onto AS.

There's no real point otherwise.
Why do you want to take 5 subjects? 4 is enough for AS I feel because 5 will just add unnecessary burden on you. It's your wish though but better to take a smaller load as a huge load can risk in messing up your grades.
If you're applying to the US it may help.

Otherwise probably not

Depends on your calibre. If you got mostly A's/A*'s at GCSE then doing 5 subjects that you enjoy won't be too difficult. It will. however, mean consistent work throughout the year.

But like others say, getting 4 A's at AS will mean you can go anywhere you want.
Only consider it if you're sure doing 5 won't overwhelm you- I did five AS's and know a few others who did but it definitely wouldn't be right for mist people. Have a discussion about this with someone at your school. Also, unis only require three A levels. Five AS's might make you seem impressive but there's a big risk you'll get lower grades which will be a much bigger disadvantage.
If you know what you want to do at uni I'd advise just taking the four and making sure those four are well suited to the course. Five would only really be useful if you want to keep your options open while you decide on a subject, or if you just really want to learn more about a subject and think you can cope with the work.

No, it's better to have 4 good grades than 5 average grades. It's the actual grades that get you into uni, not the number of subjects you take
Original post by Student403
If you're applying to the US it may help.

Otherwise probably not

US requires more subjects? (Just asking for info!)
Original post by sabahshahed294
US requires more subjects? (Just asking for info!)

No.

But if you're applying to the elites, it may give you an edge over the typical UK applicant, given that it's unbelievably competitive anyway.
I definitely advise against it. Most university admissions require three A Levels, so in theory that's all you need to do (though most do 4 to AS as it gives you the choice of what to drop). Doing any extra is going to give you a lot of unnecessary stress. Universities prefer you to get 3 good A level results rather than 4 or 5 mediocre ones, so it's better to focus your efforts.
Reply 12
Sure, if you want. I have 5 AS levels though I went about it in a roundabout way (essentially 4*AS in Year 12, but 1*AS and 4*A2 in Year 13, so the workload of 5 subjects was in Year 13) and because I enjoyed the subjects it was never particularly arduous or stressful. In fact by working hard earlier in the year I was able to be staggeringly lazy in the Spring term, during school time just having fun with friends rather than revising for the most part. So the point is the time frame in which you have is far more than enough. But if you don't really like all the subjects, obviously it's pointless.
Original post by Student403
No.

But if you're applying to the elites, it may give you an edge over the typical UK applicant, given that it's unbelievably competitive anyway.

Oh. Alright. :smile: But I guess they also check your SAT/ACT scores too..right?
Original post by sabahshahed294
Oh. Alright. :smile: But I guess they also check your SAT/ACT scores too..right?

Yeah
I did AS-levels (if you wanna include General Studies). Most pointless thing ever. So is doing 4. If you can manage it that's fine, but with the new A-level specs, doing 4 would just be a nightmare. Most of the new subjects look so much heavier in content, even in their AS spec!

Quick Reply

Latest