The Student Room Group

Advice for Glasgow locum FY1?

Hello everyone,

So here's the thing, I'm a EU graduate starting as a FY1 in General Medicine in Glasgow next week and I am completely lost. I interviewed for the post about a week ago and have been given little to no information on what to expect since I was offered the job. Nothing on shifts, rotas, on call. Not even at what time or where I should show up on my 1st day. I have asked about the possibility of shadowing but I've been told that I still Occupational Health clearance.

Has anyone gone through something similar? Have I made a huge mistake by taking the job?

PS: I also don't have hospital accommodation and I'm currently looking for places to rent in Glasgow so any tips would be welcome.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Which hospital is your job at?I'm not sure exactly how it works if you've only had your interview last week, but in terms of not having a rota yet, you're in the same position as half of the new FY1s starting at the Royal; the surgical rota hasn't been given out yet. And for those who are starting on general medicine, we only just received our final rota on Monday (we've had it changed 4 times before that!). If you're working at the GRI your name might even be on the copy of the rota that I have. Have you checked your junk folder in your emails? I missed a couple of emails from the hospital at first because they were in my junk folder. For accommodation, most people live in the West End. There's a group on facebook for FY1s looking for flatmates; I think most people will have theirs organised by now but it might be worth giving it a try? You should be able to find it if you search for the West Scotland Accommodation Forum.
Reply 2
Original post by kye
Which hospital is your job at?I'm not sure exactly how it works if you've only had your interview last week, but in terms of not having a rota yet, you're in the same position as half of the new FY1s starting at the Royal; the surgical rota hasn't been given out yet. And for those who are starting on general medicine, we only just received our final rota on Monday (we've had it changed 4 times before that!). If you're working at the GRI your name might even be on the copy of the rota that I have. Have you checked your junk folder in your emails? I missed a couple of emails from the hospital at first because they were in my junk folder. For accommodation, most people live in the West End. There's a group on facebook for FY1s looking for flatmates; I think most people will have theirs organised by now but it might be worth giving it a try? You should be able to find it if you search for the West Scotland Accommodation Forum.

Yup, I'll be doing General Medicine at GRI but I don't think I will be on the final rota yet, since I still haven't received OH clearance and I think my referees haven't yet replied. Name is Adrian Garcia, and thanks! I will be checking the accommodation forum. I've got a short let for the month because I was a bit worried about not finding a place but I look forward to meeting you and all the others!
Original post by adoctoreu
Hello everyone,

So here's the thing, I'm a EU graduate starting as a FY1 in General Medicine in Glasgow next week and I am completely lost. I interviewed for the post about a week ago and have been given little to no information on what to expect since I was offered the job. Nothing on shifts, rotas, on call. Not even at what time or where I should show up on my 1st day. I have asked about the possibility of shadowing but I've been told that I still Occupational Health clearance.

Has anyone gone through something similar? Have I made a huge mistake by taking the job?

PS: I also don't have hospital accommodation and I'm currently looking for places to rent in Glasgow so any tips would be welcome.

That's pretty normal for an NHS doctor. You get very little choice in the jobs you take, so the hospital is free to treat you like **** if it wants to. They'll almost certainly get your pay wrong as well so watch out for that.

In terms of what to expect: There's always a bit of a culture shock at first. The main things EU graduates comment on are: the vast amounts of paperwork we do, how overworked we are, and how we still use paper notes!

It will probably be pretty horrible at first, not gonna lie. Especially on general medicine. Expect to do at least an hour of unpaid overtime per day (2 hours for your first couple of weeks) and to not be able to take any breaks. That way when that doesn't happen it'll feel like a good day!

It will get better with time though - you'll get efficient at using the complex mish mash of referral systems and ordering systems, you'll work out what is important and what isn't, and you'll just be used to it by then as well.

The foundation years are widely regarded as the worst two years in medicine in the UK. If you can get through it, it should only get better. In theory.
Reply 4
In terms of renting, i think Partick maybe a good idea-close to partick station which would make it easy to get to a lot of hospitals like GRI via subway (also has bus services to the southern general (QEUH). Glasgow is pretty friendly, hope you get the info soon,

Best wishes,
anon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending