The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Doing uni reassessments over summer is definitely the worst. Can't concentrate for **** but powering through. If I do well in this piece it could tip my overall classification for second year from a 2:2 to a 2:1. :eek:

Still annoyed with everything that happened with IAPT but i'll get over it.

I've been advised to apply for DSA for depression but I don't know if I should. My laptop works fine etc. and I doubt I'd use a dictaphone. What support have you got from them?
Original post by Anon #2
Doing uni reassessments over summer is definitely the worst. Can't concentrate for **** but powering through. If I do well in this piece it could tip my overall classification for second year from a 2:2 to a 2:1. :eek:

I've been advised to apply for DSA for depression but I don't know if I should. My laptop works fine etc. and I doubt I'd use a dictaphone. What support have you got from them?

The best support for me was not the equipment, but my mentor and the note taker. I spend most of last year and will spend most of my final year on placement, however, the mentor was still a great help. I would definitely apply.
Original post by Anon #2

You can get things like extra time, a smaller room and rest breaks in exams.
Original post by bullettheory
The best support for me was not the equipment, but my mentor and the note taker. I spend most of last year and will spend most of my final year on placement, however, the mentor was still a great help. I would definitely apply.

Original post by Tiger Rag
You can get things like extra time, a smaller room and rest breaks in exams.

Ahh right - thanks :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
I wasn't trying to make it sound simple, and I'm sorry if that's how it came across.
I meant that you need space to sort your own self out before you can be a shoulder to her, because neither of you sound like you are in a good place right now. And it is really hard to do, because you would naturally be used to being there for each other.
I had the same problem with my ex, because I was his only friend (literally), and he had been my only support through an eating disorder. It seems counter-intuitive to back off during such a difficult time... but, from what you've said, she needs to find other forms of support too, and a bit of space might encourage her to do that.
I may be completely wrong, but in my own case, I regretted not taking that step back, and it took me much longer to get my head straight afterwards.
If she's going to university, that's a great opportunity to make other friends for additional support. A lot of unis have great counselling services too :smile:
Some people find that, gradually, they start enjoying the hobbies for longer- maybe that will be the case for you :smile: Or just anything that can distract you for any time at all. If you can just 'get by' at the moment, it will (believe me!) start to get easier. Do you have people that you're close to, to share any of your feelings with?

Spoiler

ED:
I'm writing this in spoiler just to be sure.

I am relapsing in my ED and I have lost all motivation to fight the thoughts - I finally have something that I am good at again, when I haven't eaten I feel so calm and so in control.

Other than that, I am still feeling like s***. Still working on schoolwork and I am so scared about next year. I am still unsure whether or not I will tell my tutor about my social anxiety and panic attack stuff as there is a mandatory Lexio Brevis at the beginning of the schoolyear and I feel like I am going to have a massive panic attack as going back to school is stressful as is and because e.g. making exams in a room full of people who are making so much sound keeps triggering panic attacks (overstimulation I assume). On the other hand, I don't want them to know or come across as though I'm just a whiney little girl. Same goes for my depression and fear of failure as I can't concentrate at all and even forming sentences doesn't always work and I have been so scared that handing in an empty sheet feels safer than trying to answer questions, but I feel like I should just stop being so damn dramatising and whiney.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Spoiler

Not at all. My reasoning was just that they are not independent of each other
Not okay :frown:
Well my OCD has decided to make tonight a misery.
My pillow is all wet from crying
I can't take this much more!
Argh!!!
The sad thing is, this won't go away until the morning :cry2:
Not looking forward to the next how ever many hours!
Original post by WolfGangPro
You will be happy again, trust me you will!

Indulge in whatever takes you interest, be selfish.

I like sport, when I am going through something I will buy new sport gear. I like acting so I will go to the theater etc

Think of things you like and indulge my friend

I sure hope so! I'm not at the moment though.

Cars! Many cars! Food but I'm on a diet, and video games.
I'll buy a new game me thinks tomorrow! And then play it for ages!!

Ah right I see! Well that's all good! Tbh I like driving but I don't think that's the wisest thing to do when my conditions act up tbh.

I shall try to! Thankyou
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well my OCD has decided to make tonight a misery.
My pillow is all wet from crying
I can't take this much more!
Argh!!!
The sad thing is, this won't go away until the morning :cry2:
Not looking forward to the next how ever many hours!

Anything which can make it marginally less awful? We're all here for you!
Original post by Ezme39
Anything which can make it marginally less awful? We're all here for you!

Umm well not sure tbh.
Sleep maybe if I can get some. Hugs but there's no one here to hug me (I mean real hugs).
Thankyou!
The holidays are major bumming me out. The first few weeks were okay but when I got to like the 5th week it's just all downhill. I can't do anything cause everything seems uninteresting or so much effort, I haven't got a job so I feel pretty worthless and atm I'm just staying at home all day doing **** all.

I've met up with my mate cause my boredom got sm but I dont wanna ask him again cause i'll be bugging him so im just gonna be sat here bored out of my mind.
(edited 7 years ago)
god how i wish i had never said yes to taking olanzapine :frown:. new meds are doing their job at least but i know i still have a long way to go. uni accepted my extenuating circumstances and allowed me to return in 2017 which is some good news at least. maybe planning a holiday with friends for end of august but not sure if i'm really ready for it, might do me some good though. need to work on getting in shape as well.
It's sure as hell exhausting trying to pretend your ok when you are struggling :frown: Even more frustrating when you know why you feel rubbish and can't do anything about it.*

*Hugs* for everyone who needs them*
Original post by Inexorably
The holidays are major bumming me out. The first few weeks were okay but when I got to like the 5th week it's just all downhill. I can't do anything cause everything seems uninteresting or so much effort, I haven't got a job so I feel pretty worthless and atm I'm just staying at home all day doing **** all.

I've met up with my mate cause my boredom got sm but I dont wanna ask him again cause i'll be bugging him so im just gonna be sat here bored out of my mind.

Set a daily routine. Wake up at a set time and go to bed at a set time.

In the day you can do things for free like go to a library and pick out some books, read the daily papers - discover new things. Most libraries have free music/DVDs to rent too - browse, choose things you don't usually go for. Have a set lunch hour. Walk in a park, take some photos, share them with strangers on instagram and find people who have similar interest.

Set a cleaning rota for yourself - keep yourself and your surroundings clean and tidy. Start cooking meals from scratch - have fun with it and experiment.

Keep busy, have a routine and be productive.

Believe me it can work wonders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieBlogger
Set a daily routine. Wake up at a set time and go to bed at a set time.

In the day you can do things for free like go to a library and pick out some books, read the daily papers - discover new things. Most libraries have free music/DVDs to rent too - browse, choose things you don't usually go for. Have a set lunch hour. Walk in a park, take some photos, share them with strangers on instagram and find people who have similar interest.

Set a cleaning rota for yourself - keep yourself and your surroundings clean and tidy. Start cooking meals from scratch - have fun with it and experiment.

Keep busy, have a routine and be productive.

Believe me it can work wonders.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See I'm aware of all the things I could do but it's just like, I try and do them and I have no interest- I'm literally boring myself rn. I think a routine would do me good but I hate the idea of being restricted to a certain timetable of doing things, it's always made me a bit apprehensive :tongue:

Though I can certainly improve my sleep/wake hours and cleaning lmao.

Thanks very much for your advice :smile:
Feel empty half the time, and like crying the rest of the time. It seems like forever since I've been genuinely happy
First meeting with my CPN in 3 weeks tomorrow. :eek: I am sort of worried, because I have been feeling so **** recently. Hence why I don't post much because I don't want to bore you all with my usual whinging and complaining. I think I may ask could medication be put back on the cards because I honestly feel like this, me, is going no where.

On the bright side, I am getting the keys to my new flat on Monday and we officially move in on the 9th August! :woo: I am rather excited. I suppose I am being selfish because I know it means my SO will be back in Dundee with me, but I am just so incredibly lonely, and it will be wonderful for us to have our own routine in our own flat. :love:
So pleased that things are going well for you @Airmed! Hugs to @Inexorably and @Ezme39 and all those that need them :hugs:

--

Other news. I have work tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to it as my knees have been bad recently and work makes them worse (my knee caps apparently slightly out of place?) and also work is making me feel a bit meh after I finish recently. Not sure if it's just because I'm generally meh at the moment or if it's something else.

(Meh = a bit iffy)

Latest