The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Lemauricien
how do you attempt the comprehension type questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Under the practice section in medify, i have the option to do a mix of both or just one set. Although, if i am not wrong, i may have got this option after a week or two. It may be something that is available after you do a certain number of practice questions. I have also done 2 out of 3 of the mocks.
Reply 901
Hi guys,
It seems as though the scores for QR are really high. Was it harder than usual and did you miss out any questions. How hard was in compared to medify/1000q's book. Thanks!!!
Original post by dr_2b
Under the practice section in medify, i have the option to do a mix of both or just one set. Although, if i am not wrong, i may have got this option after a week or two. It may be something that is available after you do a certain number of practice questions. I have also done 2 out of 3 of the mocks.

My bad , I meant technique wise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 903
God I am honestly panicking. Abstract reasoning is the one section in the ISC book that I cannot get my head around and no matter how much i practise, i am just not getting it! I am worried I will finish the entire section and still feel the same. Did anyone else feel the same or is this a sign
How does medify compare to the UKCAT? Sitting on September 5th, at the moment verbal and situational are my best on medify (in good time and only on occasion being incorrect) but worried in the UKCAT they will be harder?

I am alright at abstract and really bad at quantitative time is an issue, what are they like on medify vs the real exam?

Also what resources are good apart from medify and 1000Q exhausting medify right now haha
Reply 905
My bad , I meant technique wise

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read the question then try to find key words in the text. If the text is on a subject i dont like, i don't spend too long on it. If the ans is not obvious, pick a random one and flag (so i can come back to it if i have time).
My big improvement was the t/f/ct and that's because i have stopped "over-analysing" and no longer use my own knowledge; so for eg if the text does not mention the PM is Theresa May then a question asking if the PM is May will be "cant tell".
Original post by dr_2b
I read the question then try to find key words in the text. If the text is on a subject i dont like, i don't spend too long on it. If the ans is not obvious, pick a random one and flag (so i can come back to it if i have time).
My big improvement was the t/f/ct and that's because i have stopped "over-analysing" and no longer use my own knowledge; so for eg if the text does not mention the PM is Theresa May then a question asking if the PM is May will be "cant tell".

Ahh I see, t/f/ct questions take so much less time than the sentence one. But sometimes keywords come up in a different form in the text , so what happens then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh, I made a mistake and bought the UniAdmissions question booklet along with their online content >.<. Definitely do not recommend that site guys!!

On another note, I've spent 2 weeks just familliarising my self with the exam and noticed quite an improvement with my VR and AR (not hard as I was very very sh**). I plan on working 2/3 hours a day for 5 days with the 3 weeks I have left. Has anyone purchased the MedicPortal online question bank? I'm running out of questions and I finished the demo mode of their online questions and it seemed pretty legit and almost mirrored Medify (which is the best UKCAT reviewer).

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 908
Ahh I see, t/f/ct questions take so much less time than the sentence one. But sometimes keywords come up in a different form in the text , so what happens then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just try to understand the meaning of the statement. If thr statement is about a subject, maybe scan for the subject.
How do people find the medify mocks compare to the isc mock? Personally I found the isc mock a fair bit easier than the medify ones, not sure if this is just me but I was expecting to do a lot worse in the isc one but actullY found it okay. Apart from QR. That was dreadful 😂😂
Original post by Euan1603
How do people find the medify mocks compare to the isc mock? Personally I found the isc mock a fair bit easier than the medify ones, not sure if this is just me but I was expecting to do a lot worse in the isc one but actullY found it okay. Apart from QR. That was dreadful 😂😂

Oh yeah, I thought it was pretty decent, i just skipped the QR,isc are known for getting a bit excited on maths questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 911
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Ahh, I made a mistake and bought the UniAdmissions question booklet along with their online content >.<. Definitely do not recommend that site guys!!

On another note, I've spent 2 weeks just familliarising my self with the exam and noticed quite an improvement with my VR and AR (not hard as I was very very sh**). I plan on working 2/3 hours a day for 5 days with the 3 weeks I have left. Has anyone purchased the MedicPortal online question bank? I'm running out of questions and I finished the demo mode of their online questions and it seemed pretty legit and almost mirrored Medify (which is the best UKCAT reviewer).

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

What's wrong with uniadmissions? I've heard mixed reviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dr_2b

I do the same :shh: :lol: I usually flunk the history questions :biggrin: And yes, the easiest is T/F/CT
Oh yeah, I thought it was pretty decent, i just skipped the QR,isc are known for getting a bit excited on maths questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've also noticed medify use a different scheme for working out your score. I normally do it by scaling up my score to make it out of 600 then add 300 to top and bottom i.e. I got 39/55 in AR on medify, this is equal to 425/600, then I add 300 to top and bottom, giving 725/900. Yet medify say I scored 700? Anyone else notice this? Got my test tomorrow btw hahaha FML
Reply 914
is anyone here finding the VR section so hard?! any good tips??
I've also noticed medify use a different scheme for working out your score. I normally do it by scaling up my score to make it out of 600 then add 300 to top and bottom i.e. I got 39/55 in AR on medify, this is equal to 425/600, then I add 300 to top and bottom, giving 725/900. Yet medify say I scored 700? Anyone else notice this? Got my test tomorrow btw hahaha FML

Still above 650 so it's fine, good luck tomorrow bruh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still above 650 so it's fine, good luck tomorrow bruh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man! When do you have yours? Feeling a bit more confident I think now
Can someone please tell me whether the QR on medify is representative of the real test. It's too
time consuming at the moment and the questions can be confusing ( I do A level maths as well)
Thanks man! When do you have yours? Feeling a bit more confident I think now

September 15th, I'm away for 10 days on work exp so by September I should be ready haha.
And yeah go in with the mentality you're going to destroy it completely, if you can't have confidence in yourself, how can a patient be confident in You :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do many of you guys approach VR by reading the questions first then scanning through the text for the important words? Do you do the same even when it's not T/F/CT? I'd been avoiding that technique, as I know looking at only one sentence can be misleading, but I'm clutching at straws to get my VR time down...

Quick Reply

Latest