The Student Room Group

Biological Sciences at Oxford

Hi everyone!

I am looking for someone who studied (or someone who is still studying) Biological Sciences at Oxford as I have some questions concerning the Application.
Im a first year studying biological sciences :smile:
Reply 2
Hi,

I am also applying for biological sciences at Oxford this year.
Wohoooo!
Please help us (current Oxford Biological sciences students or anyone else :biggrin:)
Original post by ali_blue

Hi, what A-levels did you take?:smile:
and also did you get asked any maths questions in your interview?
Reply 4
Hi I am applying to Biological sciences . I am doing IB (Biology Chemistry and English (HL) Maths ESS and my Native Language (SL))
As far as I know there should not be any complicated maths questions in our interview (I wished there would be)
The math questions may be, for instance:
Observing the trends of a graph
Furthermore every science related interview has some logical questions, such as the problem with coins etc
At which college are you applying to?
Original post by BioOx
Hi I am applying to Biological sciences . I am doing IB (Biology Chemistry and English (HL) Maths ESS and my Native Language (SL))
As far as I know there should not be any complicated maths questions in our interview (I wished there would be)
The math questions may be, for instance:
Observing the trends of a graph
Furthermore every science related interview has some logical questions, such as the problem with coins etc
At which college are you applying to?

I haven't sat my exams yet (which are next year) so I can't apply at the moment.
That's a relief! I asked if there would be maths questions because I'm terrible at maths and I know I'd struggle to answer complicated maths questions..:s-smilie:
Good luck with your application!:h:
Reply 6
Original post by Friendly Forever
I haven't sat my exams yet (which are next year) so I can't apply at the moment.
That's a relief! I asked if there would be maths questions because I'm terrible at maths and I know I'd struggle to answer complicated maths questions..:s-smilie:
Good luck with your application!:h:

Don't you have predicted grades?
Original post by BioOx
Don't you have predicted grades?

No, I'm a Scottish student and my school doesn't give predicted grades :s-smilie:
For Biological Sciences interviews, my experience is that the maths related questions are pretty basic. Typically, being given a couple of graphs and asked to interpret what trends and/or correlations they might suggest. But you wouldn't be expected to perform any mathematical operations on them.
Reply 9
Original post by OxFossil
For Biological Sciences interviews, my experience is that the maths related questions are pretty basic. Typically, being given a couple of graphs and asked to interpret what trends and/or correlations they might suggest. But you wouldn't be expected to perform any mathematical operations on them.

Hi thanks for your reply!
At which college is your daughter studying biology?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BioOx
Hi thanks for your reply!
At which college is your daughter studying biology?

She's at one of the bigger ones.

I studied at St Peters - many years ago!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ali_blue

Hi! I got an offer for biological sciences at Somerville this year, and would love to know some things about the course if you could be so kind to answer!
-what skills would be good to learn in advance of starting the course to help you do well academically?
-what are tutorial essay prompts like? do you have an example haha :3
-is there anything you wish you started doing earlier/better?

Thank you again! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending